Thompsons Solicitors logo
Thompsons Solicitors

Thompsons Solicitors Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews

some of staff really helpful

I would not look for promotion of any kind as they tend to give these posts to friends if you are quite happy to so a secretarial job for a typists salary then you will do fine

Pros

flexi time allows you to build up time for an extra day off per month

Cons

no prospects of promotion

Terrible! Work anywhere but here!!

Management are cliquey, unethical, unfair and select specific people and to carry out their dirty work and hold to a different standard then the rest. They are corrupt, overwork people, expect you to work extra for nothing and rarely show any appreciation. Managers and HR also think they know it all and really know nowhere near enough, don’t consider people as human beings with feelings, just numbers on paper. Sadly they are derogatory about people which I witnessed all the time. The favourites get promoted rather then the most capable. Can’t stress enough how much you need to avoid this Firm.

Pros

You can resign at any time

Cons

All of the above, and some...

Avoid!

Would not recommend, horrendous atmosphere to work in. Some colleagues had been signed of sick due to stress and depression whilst I was employed there. Everyone was either too stressed under the pressure or too busy to provide any form of support, even as a new starter or just wanting assistance with a difficult case, it felt like everyone was there for themselves.Feeling anxious and nervous about going into work was out of character, even putting in the extra hours never felt like it was enough. Their systems are problematic as very out dated which made the process much longer than needed and resulted in wasting valuable time. The only regret I have was not leaving sooner.

Pros

Free parking

Cons

Old fashioned paper file system, poor training, overworked management, lack of support, no annual leave assistance

Terrible - worst firm I have ever worked for

Moved on from this old fashioned communist firm run by know it alls who were inexperienced to a well respected firm that pays the staff well and enables you to hit decent bonus targets. Do not even think about joining Thompson’s who treat the staff with no respect and are full of fake promises

Pros

Free car park

Cons

Test staff as they are juveniles

Union solicitors

Not the happiest place to work. Blamed for various things that happened whilst I was off sick with depression. Lack of sympathetic support following life changing events.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, unsympathetic management, expect weekend working and out of hours with no extra pay, low pay generally for the job..

horrific place to work

do not work at this company. it is one of the worst places that I have ever worked at. Managers are terrible and do not support staff. Repeatedly frog marching staff into meetings. Encourage conflict between staff. The number of people with work related stress at this organisation was unbelievanle and so many staff wanted to leave.

Pros

no pros

Cons

exceptionally long hours. No support

Great PI Solicitors with excellent Employment Law Specialists

A firm who believes in fighting for the rights of workers and therefore closely aligned with the trade union movement . Great people to work with but the work is demanding and fast paced. The business is changing in response to changes in legislation and the general change in delivering PI legal services

Pros

The people that work there. Good Company benefits .

Cons

Getting a balance with life and work given the demanding workload

Professional, attention to detail. Leaders in personal injury discipline.

Excellent in-house training and encouragement and training to progress. Disciplines are Personal Injury, Medical Negligence, Criminal Law and Employment Law.

Really nice people

I have been working at Thompsons for a while now and feel the team is supportive, although under a lot of pressure. Case loads are high but the quality of the work is excellent.

would not recommend

quantity rather that quality is what is valued here. i would not recommend moving to this company unless you have no alternative. pay is reasonable.

Cons

poor organisation

Jobs at Thompsons Solicitors

See more jobs

Stressful and inundated with non-stop phone calls from angry client chasing update on their matter. It was like a revolving door in terms of staff turnaround, so your case load kept growing every time someone leaves

Fast-paced environment but good working conditions. Very supportive colleagues. The organisation has positive values and is committed to excellence. I enjoyed my time working for Thompsons because of the relaxed and productive atmosphere and the sense of humour. I would gladly work for this organisation again in the future.

Friendly and Welcoming

Thompsons is a great employer. I do believe that the salary could be improved, but given the fact that the office culture is very warm and it is easy for someone to feel welcomed as part of the team, I would recommend them as an employer.

Terrible Employers

The boss was a bully and hated me from day 1. No matter how hard I tried nothing was good enough and I was always compared to her former secretary. She made me like rubbish on a daily basis.

Awesome

A typical day at work is answering telephone calls, emails, post. Reviewing medical evidence. General case handler duties. Its a really nice office to work in, everyone is really friendly and the training and support is great. Regular work outings and dress down days, free pizza fridays etc. I love my job here and will be so sad to leave but forced to due to a change in family circumstances.

Avoid like the plague

No support given. Too much pressure on staff. Not enough money for what is expected of you. Expect the earth from you. Miserable place to be. Dreaded going into work. Whole place lacks moral. No formal training provided - just thrown in at the deep end. Lack of progression. Staff turnover is high due to the above.

Not the best place to work

This place is horrendous especially the management. I can say this honestly having now been working for a company where the managers including the CEO’s treat every employee with respect. That’s not to be found at Thompsons Solicitors. I would say apply at your own risk. It’s every man for himself and management will throw you under the bus. There’s no progression either. The workload is high and expectations are unrealistic. Free fruit is offered twice a week and the company closes over the Christmas period so not all is bad. There is no overtime offered and if you work over it is at your own choice with no praise from management fruit

Pleasant place to work

I’ve worked for a Thompson’s for a few years now and enjoy going to work. My role as progressed since starting and I have learnt a lot and I continue to learn along the way. It can be extremely busy at times and can seem difficult to prioritise the work correctly. When you feel under pressure you can speak to management and ask for help. One positive thing is being able to work in quiet areas to help you feel less stressed as the office is busy and fast paced. The firm are open to your suggestions on how to make procedures run more smoothly, improving work productivity etc. Overall a great firm to work for, regular pay increases with review, friendly staff, nearly 2 week of at Christmas, regular treats.

Pros

Social Club, Treat Days, Chance to progress.

Cons

High workload and pressure at times.

Workplace

I have worked for Thompsons for 15 years. Salary and pension is really good. Good working environment Been part of the trade union movement Flexible working

Pros

Nearly 2 weeks off xmas, Holidays, and Pension and working

Cons

Really busy at times

Productive and Fun Workplace

I have worked for a number of law firms and Thompsons is definitely the best thus far. Due to health issues caused at a previous company, I made a decision on taking a step down the ladder with taking a role at Thompsons and it is the best decision I have made The support from my manager and colleagues has been excellent. Nice people work here and always humorous banter going off. Have pizza days, dress down days and time off at Christmas.

Pros

Time off at Christmas

Cons

Underpaid

Everyone in the team is really helpful, the office is very friendly and nothing is ever too much for anyone. Management team are really supportive with regular training. I definitely enjoy coming to work :)

Pros

Everthing

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thompsons Solicitors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement