Thurrock Council

Thurrock Council Employee Reviews

Flexible

Excellent career progression. Enjoy the flexibility in working patterns. Great in house training. Friendly colleagues. In the city centre. Parking is an issue.

Cheap labour

No career prospects for apprentices, just used as cheap labour. Once your apprenticeship is over they just end your contract and get a replacement. This is not just my experience.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

pay

Work for council care home

If you love working for vulnerable with mental health issues and dementia people you’ll be happy to be here. The job is not for everyone who’s looking for a job position. The job is more than a job and you have to be a very special and love people, to deal with any difficult situation properly. Sometimes the days are great and amazing and you can be very happy but sometimes are sad because of loss. You have to be strong emotionally and be prepared for any kind of stress.

Pros

Amazing residents, amazing carers and great management

Cons

working weekends

Excellent, supportive and motivational leadership

Having worked there for 30 years, it is a great place to work. Links to london make it easy to commute. It's a place that looks ahead and keeps up with other businesses to ensure it gets the best out of its staff and the best service for it's residents. Training opportunities are there and promotion prospects are good. It's busy but fun and relaxed at the same time.

Pros

5 mins to station, 25 minutes to Fenchurch street station in London, staff benefits.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Fun place

Enjoy every minute of working with my customers. Enjoyed the laugh and banter my customers laugh, enjoyed the activities we did. The work was hard but worth every minute.

Fantastic place to work

#TeamThurrock are the best! Incredible experienced operational staff that work collaboratively with a wealth of specialist knowledge. Everyone does their best to support each other!

Pros

Flexible working

vote counting

vote counting always evenings, its temp work on voting days only.. so couple times a year.. rate of pay varies between council's and thurrock isn't the best .

Good place to work and develop career wise .

It was a great experience during my working days in Thurrock. Good team work. Thurrock offered regular trainings and support net work . Thurrock welcomes ethnic diversity and good cultural and religious values and beliefs. Thurrock is a good place to work.

Flexible working is a saint!

I will say at the beginning of starting my position everything was very slow to get started. Application was long process!! Applied for my job in May and didn't start until August! Staff were all super friendly and environment was very relaxed. Only downside was work load was quite slow and didn't feel I got what I wanted out of the position. Would definitely recommend working here. Pay and pension are good and flexible working makes you feel like you aren't restricted if you have an emergency to deal with that happens during working hours.

Face Pace yet rewarding

I manage a team of Housing Solutions Officers who deal with clients who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. The job can be rewarding when the staff assist in finding alternative homes for their clients. I supervise, carry out casework management, one to ones and also their wellbeing

Jobs at Thurrock Council

See more jobs

I went back so that has to say something

Really happy having returned to this employer! Flexible & remote working encouraged. Good management and great CPD opportunities. Monthly 121s are productive. generous holiday entitlement and great staff benefits

Job

Hectic and rewarding, Lots of paperwork Meeting new people every day Targets to meet but was allowed to take work home and have an office home day

It was nice.

I did a two week work placement in the IT department as an IT assistant. I primarily worked within the second line support team. I learned a lot about computer repairs, and how IT departments work. I feel like I can't accurately rate some aspects of the company, as I only worked there for a short time for my unpaid work placement.

Pros

Nice co-workers.

Cons

Can't really think of any, to be honest.

Experience at my work place

working with the company was enjoyable, a typical day at work included chartting and listening to people. I enjoy stories that are been told by some residence, I have learned in my job, that communication is key due to the nature and role of my job it essentially to communicate correctly and appropriately to my service users, also my listening skills was improved because, it is part of my responsible even though, time is limited in my role, I still had to manage that well by creating unavailable time to listen to my service users and I must confess, it is part of the aspect I enjoy most Through listening, I am able to understand better, the needs, state and experiences of my service users. the hardest part of my job was working short staffed, and still be expected to complete the job, even though they are lot of responsibility to cover, the time given is limited. I have had a good experience within my work place, learnt a lot and have gained transferable skills which I can now use in aiming higher if the need arise.

Pros

flexible

Cons

limited time to cover a lot

Not what i had hoped

This company isn't the worst depending on your department however if you are looking to be an apprentice with them just know you will get treated like a personal assistant more than anything else.

good

A good work experience. I had the chance to meet new people, learn new processes. Dealing with complaints on a daily basis, while maintaining the street lighting inbox and emergencies. every day is different and full of action.

good

Cons

ok

I was a refuse collector

I worked in a group of three. We worked on a refuse collection vehicle. There where set routs for each day of the week. I had to be able to work first hand with customers.

political culture all about image

avoid the place like the plague if you are interested in doing business and not politics. All about placating the needs of the political leadership and the ego of the CEO.

Pros

Cons

everything

Hard working support staff let down by poor management

I worked for the council for nearly 3 years in a care home. The support staff were fantastic, hardworking and capable but the management structure meant that the home managers are virtually invisible. The home duty managers were a mixed bag and I felt that there was very little confidentiality between support workers and those just above (if you spoke to them in confidence you could guarantee everyone would know what you had said by the next shift). Team spirit and staff morale, at my time of leaving was very low and it was a shame to see such a brilliant group of carers with such high standards being ground down by the management above.

Pros

No zero hour contracts

Cons

Home management, lack of confidentiality and high staff turnover

Lovely people to work with

Training courses are encouraged Progression is encouraged Flexible working is encouraged There is a good teamwork culture The days are varied and interesting Demanding and challenging times with workloads the people are lovely and a nice atmosphere

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

heavy workload

Community

Thurrock Council is all about service delivery to the diverse community of Thurrock. Thurrock work tirelessly to ensure that they deliver a good service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thurrock Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Thurrock Council with

Thurrock Council Reviews by Location

• Thurrock Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?