Toby Carvery

Toby Carvery Employee Reviews

United Kingdom531 reviews

tobyunsociablekitchenbutlerrotabarrubbishshift

Stressful and unfair job

When you work you have to hand in a portion of your personal tips, on top of it being a minimum wage job, which is unfair as you need it and you’ve earned it. The age range is quite wide which does create a sense of family.

Stressful and hateful

Bullying In management runs rampant. A Constantly stressful environment with backstabbing staff. Grievances ignored or covered up by higher ups. Don’t do it to yourself. They’ll constantly cut your contracted hours down so don’t expect to meet your contract and a huge turn over of staff due to lack of training and poor treatment.

Pros

Free dinner

Cons

Poor work environment

Insights into Toby Carvery

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Always something to do , keeps you on your toes as it’s busy , long hours on weekend , had to work over Christmas , you get to keep your tips when I was there but I shared with kitchen staff and bar staff to make it fair

A bit wild.

A typical summary of a day at work: Sometimes can be stressful, especially on a Sunday or a period of special offers during half term or weekdays. However, some days are not stressful and are good to get by. However, occasionally you get bad days where everyone is rushed off of their own feet, or if a staff member calls in sick and there is a lack of people to cover. Being there for quite a while now, and learning process is fun but very slow.The most enjoyable part of the job is the people, as sometimes you get encouragement, and sometimes you get a joke or two.Management here is a bumpy ride. Sometimes management can be very helpful and sometimes management can be forgetful and can get to the point where they could be short tempered.Apart from this, if you are willing to work hard and try to stay calm you should be fine. However, sometimes be independent and prepared for a tough day or some longer hours.

Pros

Sometimes Friendly and Trustworthy Staff.

Cons

Some long hours, or lack of support when needed.

Worst Company I’ve ever worked for

Never looked after staff, had no safety equipment. hired me as a support and put me on washing pots for weeks on end with no equipment, meaning all the skin on my hands came off, on top of countless back problems. other staff members are rude and have no care for others. stressful and not worth it.

Productive workplace x

Supportive management easy to get on well with everyone great people ❤️ Work well as a team together and really get on well with each other 💕 great place to work for and would highly recommend working there ❤️

stressful but can be enjoyable

I've enjoyed my time at toby, and although it can get quite stressful (especially for first job) everyone I work with is lovely. I've been given training in a variety of different areas which is good for future jobs and I feel confident in being able to do my job.

Pros

free food & staff discount in all m&b brands

Cons

long hours & rotas often released last minute

Dreadful

Really really bad, Avoid!You get worked like a dog with no recognition. Work life balance does not exist. The days are long and the rewards are very few

Prison sentence

No work life balance, expected to work 6/7 days a week! Managent stop paying you from 10:30pm when some shifts you finish after midnight. Zero compassion from higher management

Cons

No social life

Do not work here

What can I say underpaidOverworkedShifts changed last minute constantlyShifts cancelled last min as their not busy enoughStuck on pot wash because they wouldn't train me on anything else despite having multiple meeting with the manager and getting promised they would train me next week never happened finally had enough of their lies and quitOnly positive thing was the few friends and keep in contact with them

Very bad job

The conditions specified at the interview were not followed on the second day. After the first day, you are obliged to handle the work without being trained by anyone.

Don’t work here

It’s under staffed and stressful don’t get payed enough at all. Long hours rude staff and management don’t care at all they are money hungry have no respect

It's o.K

A typical day at work: Quite and aloneWhat you learned: N/AManagement: O.KWorkplace culture: O.KThe hardest part of the job: Work inside the Kitchen on Sunday.The most enjoyable part of the job: "Tidy up the Pub."

Pros

Easy Go; Nice and Smart Staff.

Cons

Minimum payment.

Small team great fun

Love working here, flexible around my family and job progression is available, nice place to work and plenty of hours, most of guests are friendly but there’s always going to be one or 2 who ruin your day

Pros

33% discount

Cons

Can be long hours

wouldn't recommend

The management were rude and the staff were OK but had attitude problems. Shifts were long and I didn't get paid enough for what I was doing daily. don't bother to apply!!

"Interesting" Workplace

Frequent changes in management resulted in a chaotic and disorganised environment, frequent long shifts and blatant favouritism of staff, basic food safety standards were not followed and stock was poorly managed resulting in the restaurant running out of food, leading to abusive customer interactions.

Worst place for a job

Went here as I moved to the area. Was greeted fairly nice, when I went to the interview. The company was in need of staff. When I went to the induction, I was treated poorly. The manager had bad skills. She couldn't tell me exactly what she wanted, and when she got her point across she belittled me in front of customers. She never once smiled and welcomed me, she seemed more interested in talking poorly about new starters than helping. I mistakenly taken a tables glasses that were empty, there was no belongings left, nothing. When I went to take them, a woman who I was working with thick glasses and blonde hair, saw me take them into the back, didn't tell me they were for customers that were still there. When I went out, the woman with the glasses said oh you taken the glasses mockingly. As I went to clean the table, she gave the glasses back, said something about me to the customers. They were both being extremely rude towards me. I ended up leaving. The manager who had slush coloured hair, belittled me and said, you don't take glasses that are being used in the back. I understood and said, I understand, I made a mistake. It's not even my first shift properly. She was also told about the blonde woman who saw me take the glasses and said nothing. I left. Too much throwing people under the bus. As I left, both slush haired woman and the blonde woman were laughing.

Poor communication, organisation, and compensation

I only worked for a few months at Toby Carvery because I found the management to be so incompetent. What they told me I'd be doing in the interview ended up being completely different - both the position and the shifts I was on - once I started. They massively overworked their small staff and people were continuously leaving, making it even more difficult to keep the place running. Tips weren't divided up, so if someone was regularly put on the bar shift they wouldn't make anything compared to the floor staff. My coworkers were awesome people who really put blood, sweat, and tears in, but the management needs a real overhaul.

True family work setting

Loved been part of the toby family ,friends for life ! Very clean and tidy always , great place to work , every one is there to help you learn and progress , ain’t got a bad word to say about the place reason for me to leave was to get back into the profession I wanted to do , or I would of still been there

Fast paced

Very understaffed and it can be stressful on times when you don’t have enough people to help. Long hours if you are full time and not much work life balance.

Amazing team but the hours were ridiculous.

One of my most favourite jobs I have ever had, mostly because the other servers made if bearable. The job was relatively straight forward and easy to learn, but sometimes it can get really busy and you are run off your feet (which I prefer to be busy). The managers were okay, like a bit of banter but when it came to asking for reduced hours they were not understanding. Asked for reduced hours during exam season, they did so for like a week then gave me more shifts! Ended up giving in my notice because of this, however, still a good job but you probably will only stay there for about a year or less.However, there was some backstabbing going on sometimes with a couple of the other team members. Would recommend not gossiping and just being neutral.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toby Carvery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement