Toby Carvery
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Toby Carvery Employee Reviews

United Kingdom479 reviews

best of a bad bunch

ok to work for. since the pandemic, they care more about getting money ion than their staff.If you work hard and there are opportunities, you can get on.

Nice Social time but not good or well paid job

Place expects you to do maximum work for minimal pay, No social life because your working every Friday saturday and Sunday nights, no breaks which im sure isn't legal...avoid this place whilst you can

Pros

tips, you work with good people

Cons

Long hours with no breaks, rubbish pay, expected to do more than your own job, unsociable hours, no time off over Christmas or New Years.

Na

Makes you feel like a family been ti 2 different tobys and it the best place to eitk made some really good friends there and it a laugh working there

Meh

Nice culture and nice people but the manager called me a batty boy so I refuse to eat here ever again. Got some of that from the staff as well. Also engages in a culture of overworking staff and shifts way over agreed hours.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Homophobia

Not the best job in the world would be good for a school leaver though

I hated my time working here, the managers can go for a smoke break every 5 minutes but I’m not allowed to take a 30 second break through an 7 hour shift

Pros

Cons

The pay and the managers

Wasn’t what I expected

I applied for a waiter job but was placed in the kitchen, we were told that 2 weeks of training would be front of house and the other two would be out front, however a few of us were stuck round back weren’t very happy with what we were doing, we also went through a few managers so many things never got sorted or was lost in translation along the way.

Pros

Free food at the end of the night

Cons

Long hours if closing Not very good life to job balance

Long hours, short breaks, fast paced

Used to end up working anywhere between 8 and 12 hours a day. Staff didn't show up so it would fall on you. Management were rude and never appreciated anything you did. If they were in a bad mood they would just bring everyone down. On Sundays the place was carnage, you were lucky to get 20 minutes break on weekends. If tables walked out it was down to you to pay for it.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, stressful

It’s alright

If you quit then the manager bars you because he’s a so whatever you do don’t quit? Staff are dece but the managers aren’t great: if you do something wrong then they’ll make sure you don’t forget it

Pros

50% off on food during shift

Cons

Double shifts, bullied into covering shifts

Never again

I spent 10 years of my life working for thus company. It was probably the most exciting 6 years of my life. The social aspect of the role was brilliant. I have made life long friends. As I've matured I've realised that the job pay vs the amount of graft you do is terrible. Towards the end, the place was ruined by a particular "manager" and unfortunatley it will never be the golden goose it was before.

Pros

Friends

Cons

Pay, rota, management team.

If you are reading this it isn't too late

Do not work for this company! Treated like poo for minimum wage. By far the worst employment I have ever experienced in my life from poor low-quality management to overworked, underpaid staff this place is awful. There are no benefits, no free food, hardly any breaks, no incentive to get a higher pay they will just take on anyone who will work for a few months then start the cycle again! Also do not expect to get tipped they get hoarded by staff who take the payment. PLEASE DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES I DID!

Stressful and expect everything

They are the kind of business that ask for everything but you get nothing back on return. The managers will leave you in your own. There is allot of back biting, and unfortunately you will be short staffed all the time. They don’t really seem to like you progressing unless it’s on their terms, and all the mums get the first pick of the shifts, even if you have a solid reason such as health or other family commitments. So it’s not an ideal job for anyone else.

Pros

Discount food, Pension

Cons

Long hours, not flexible with shifts, under staffed, no job progression

Fast paced

The environment is not very nice. Guests can be rude and bar drinkers are horrid. Management didn’t tend to stand up for staff, and pay was bad as waitresses didn’t share tips so kitchen and bar staff didn’t get any. Not many benefits to the job.

Pros

Free food and shifts go quickly

Cons

Bad pay, unsociable hours and unfair treatment

terrible

i would never work here again absolutely terrible very unfair environment would not advicemake yo work without pay there is constant judgment and you are always to slow even when you working as fast as you can

Pros

free dinner and lunch

Cons

very long hours no choice in it

Hard work understaffed and under payed

So when I first started work I thought this would be a nice easy job. The pay wasn’t good but I didn’t mind because I thought the work would be easy. But it’s not. It’s simple but the sheer quantity of food you make means that the quality really drops. As well as this the management are very weak and the kitchen is not clean at all. Also, some of the staff are very lazy and it meant that me as a person who had been there a month was havjng to tell people that had been there for years to hurry up because everyone always slacked on the clean down. Not a fun working environment at all.

Pros

Honestly can’t think of one

Cons

Under paid, over worked, dirty kitchen, faulty equipment, lazy staff and management, front of house always getting involved in making the food, the list could go on.

Wouldn’t recommend

If you’re looking for a quick and easy job then by all means apply. If you’re looking for something more long term and would like to further progress your career then I wouldn’t recommend. Employees work 12 hour shifts and one employee I spoke to had to cover another member of staff causing him to work 12 hour shifts 10 days in a row, my first week I had worked 7 days in a row without even seeing a contract.

Pros

33% discount at all other company chains

Cons

Long hours and unfair work weeks

fun work place

i made some great friend's here and i’m still in contact with them. tips on a sunday were excellent i would take on average £40-50 in tips sometimes £80 ! i only worked from 4:30- until close

Pros

discount on food, at the end of a shift if i was closing i was allowed to take home whole legs of lamb beef and pork!

Cons

pay was minimum wage

Great place to work that's helps you to socialize and engage with different people

I have only positive things to say about toby carvery in Poole the management are on point and work with the team to get results energetic environment that feeds a satisfaction that you are part of a family or a culture within the business I feel valued and even though the work can be fast paced you learn how to manage this and then it becomes a sort of pleasent stress

Pros

Feel part of a team social based fun environment

Cons

Shifts (but fair)

Great Opportunity For Career Progression

I have worked for this company for over 20 years and progressed through the ranks. It is a fast paced environment, but if you have the right attitude and desire to build a career then Toby Carvery can offer a great opportunity.

Pros

Career progression, training, staff discount, share schemes

Horrible

Wasn’t a good place to work at all wouldn’t recommend, very difficult, thrown in the deep end, seeing the production of food was disgusting. Really hard to say because I loved eating there . Never again

Pros

Cons

Pay & long hours

No work life balance, everyone backstabs

Worked as a chef for several years, you get no respect and management have favorites and don't give breaks even if it's an 11 hour shift, by the way 30m gets taken off your shift for the " break", career advancement is non existant and the way things are prepped is questionableAlways new staff because people realise how bad it is and leave.

Pros

Non

Cons

Too many

Horrible place to work

Management are horrid. Will be little you and make you feel rubbish about yourself. Pay is rubbish and you don’t always get paid right either. The work is easy if you are allowed enough staff to be able to cope with how busy it gets. You find yourself doing 3 peoples jobs at once because you are not allowed enough staff to enable you to cope. All they care about is getting money in the till and not the welfare of their staff. Through COVID they have constantly broken rules on social distancing and face coverings just get as many people in and spending as they can

Pros

Cons

Long days. Horrible management. Not safe

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toby Carvery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement