TORBAY COUNCIL

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Worked in the adoption team.

Office environment. worked for agency, not permanent. full time.days varied. Enjoyed working with people and undertaking assessments. Locality was very good. I was very familiar with Torbay , given I worked for them 18 years ago. It was interesting to see other social workers I knew. Adoption specialism I learned a lot from and would return to adoption work. Adoption team Torbay folded up and became the South West Adoption Team which involved 4 LA's.

Children's Social Worker. Exhausting,

Love working with children and families and have over 20 years experience but had to leave as caseloads high (never had a full weekend off in 4 months and social workers do not get paid overtime) management chaotic and obsessed with spreadsheets. Never had supervision. My manager wasn't from the area and did not know how anything worked and never replied to emails or wanted to hear about my families!sl

Pros

Parking reasonable. Colleagues good

Cons

Overworked unsupported unheard exhausting

A very poor organisation

They are very unorganised, have a lot of agency staff who only stay for short periods large turnover of staff, and move staff around a lot. Felt very unsupported

An excellent place to be a developer in Torquay

With a good salary and relaxed working conditions, this is a great place to work in my field, however it's the people with really make it special. The hours are also very flexible.

I recommend working for Torbay council as a school escort

I enjoy working as a school escort for Torbay Council.I am never late as I am picked up and dropped home.It is a rewarding job taking the children to school and back ,dealing with any challenges that might occur with a satisfactory conclusion,making sure the children are happy and safe.It fits in well with looking after my 14 year old daughter as well

The job is what you make it!

The job is not for everyone. It is a tough job. The management are there for support and always have time to listen if you have had an incident or just need to chat. Even though people will be rude and swear at you others will have a laugh and a joke and thank you for doing a good job. And all the walking keeps you fit !

Dont

Terrible place really but pays the bills will leave as soon as i find something suitable being a traffic warden is hazardous and stressful and management support is minimal more interestd in getting people out to enforce than welfare

Take my word for it - dont bother!

In my short time working for torbay council (Parking Services) i can honestly say it was biggest mistake ive ever made and have regretted it. Thankfully now i have moved on! Management is shocking. There is no duty of care and a massive turn over of staff. I wonder why? When i started i was pretty optimistic and excited for the future but soon relised that i had made a big mistake. Staff morale was at a all time low and working with a lot of pi**ed off people. You'd have more fun working at a cemetery! However, despite my negativity and nothing great to say about the service. This doesn't mean to say other services are the same. I think its safe to say i'll never work for the council again. Parking Services has a lot to learn especially on staff management and people skills. The salary doesn't justify the work and line of duty. You work 5 weekends in a row before you have a weekend off and the shifts are anything between early starts (7.30am) and late finishes (10pm) so don't bother if you have a social life.

Pros

Fresh Air

Cons

Terrible Shifts, A lot of weekend work, poor management, poor staff morale, poor leadership, poor salary

Civil enforcement Officer

Worked here for 15 months. I can honestly say it’s the worst managed and organised job I’ve experienced in 45 years of working. Uniform is same for summer and winter, no extra warm weather clothing provided even though you’re expected to work in all weathers. Rain gear is cheapest available. When Officers are attacked or verbally abused there is no duty of care shown by Manager who is only interested in how many tickets have been issued. You are treated by office workers in same department as if they had just scrapped you off bottom of their shoe. Some of colleagues are really good to work with but unfortunately the majority are ticket issueing automatons and are horrible to work with and go out of their way to upset the public. Don’t bother working here unless you fall into the last category - not a job for nice people!!!

Pros

Fresh air

Cons

Shocking Management

Foster carer

Dreadful now. Never used to be. Managers come and go. Fosters are bottom of the barrow. Patronising and unhelpful. Haven't a clue. A handful of SWs are brilliant and need cloning!!!!

Pros

Cons

Treat you like something you wipe off your shoe...

Excellent work/life balance

I worked there for a long time and once you get used to the politics and how it works you realise it is the nature of the beast. It is changing so isn't quite what it is but it is a good emplyer.

Pros

Flexi time

Cons

Regular restructures

Good when u have hours

Not enough hours working for torre I not happy with the way it’s ran it’s a joke nothing ever gets done it’s run like a monkey house bad with keeping staff

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Don't go there!

The school i was working in was for young people who had emotional and behavioural difficulties. There were no boundaries for these kids. The language used by the staff was disgusting and i wondered who exactly was in charge of the school, the kids or the teachers.

Pros

non

Cons

no support from managment

At times fun, at same time stressful when in management role

Most days were very hectic and stressful due to overwork. Management team very difficult at times and unsupported. My own team were great and very dedicated. Most enjoyable part of my role was working with children and families.

Pros

Team

local government

busy working environment under tight budget restraints. good working environment and good benefit scheme for employees. good rates of pay compared to other local authorities in the south west area.

Depressing work place

No promotions no team work lack lustre bosses who are overpaid and lazy.If your face Doesn't fit forget any leg ups or pay increases. Hard working loyal staff bypassed for outsiders with degrees

Pros

Cheap parking

Cons

No encouragement

At times use emergency tax which is far too high

I have worked for Torbay Council on and off for over 25 years and overall are good at providing correct salaries . At times, if ever I am re-employed by a school I am immediately charged emergency tax which is very annoying.

Pros

spine points are taken into consideration

Cons

emergency tax

Benefits Assessor and customer service assistant

Pressured working conditions. Target set workloads with production and performance analysis. Working with persons from across a broad spectrum of the general public. Need to be able to deal with conflict resolution regulary face to face or over the phone.

Pros

free parking permit

Cons

target lead workloads

Every day holds new challenges.

I am given a task and am left to my own skills to ensure the job is done to the required standards which suits myself and the company.

productive and fun work place

great working conditions, lovely people, great pay. No hot desk policy and free car parking, A great holiday allowances with bank holidays and time in lieu

Outdoor and own boss

A typical day, logging cars, use of time management, talking to customers, issuing pcns

Pros

what ever you make of it

Cons

can be stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TORBAY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

TORBAY COUNCIL Reviews by Location

• TORBAY COUNCIL
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?