Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Brilliant work life balance. Friendly and supportive team

I am passionate about nursing and, within the team I am in, I feel I am able to provide the optimal patient care that I became a nurse for. I loved working on the wards but so so busy I felt I couldn’t give patients enough time. I am so much happier in the community and we have a very supportive and friendly team. The management is the best you could get. 100% love my job and recommend it to anyone

Pros

Training opportunities Supportive team Great work life balance Variety

Cons

Sometimes not enough time in the day to write patient reports

Typical NHS work culture

Torquay Hospital is a nice place to work but seems to be overstaffed in area's like mid management e.g. to many navy nursing staff ward management and navy walking around the hospital in groups 2 or 3s .The hospital is lacking basic nursing staff e.g. staff nurse's and being replaced with HCAs as a solution.The nursing side of the trust in general needs an overhaul.

Productive and meaningful workplace

Working for the NHS is one of the best jobs I have done. I have a sense of purpose and feel that I am really making a difference. My manager is the most supportive manager I have ever had. I would recommend working for the NHS.

Job management

Poor communication at times. Overall very good place to work. Good people around you. Pay could be better along with the inflation rate. Should concentrate more on patients rather than paperwork management does.

Bullying

Shocking culture of bullying and intimidation from directors and senior managers and nothing is ever done about it. Freedom to speak up doesn't work. Cost cutting left right and centre and nobody cares about staff.

Pros

Helping patients

Cons

Directors and managers behaviours

Love our nhs especially at this moment

I'm a bank worker and my managers have been brilliant with all the other stresses that they are facing at this awful time with my own underlying health issues and etc to this virus always find me the right place to work and I thank u for that, I love it I'm knackered at rhe end but look forward to coming in in and helping just that little biy

Pros

Helpful temp staff on the floor managers

Cons

Not the office based managers.. Always too busy or away from the office

Fast paced

Fast paced, team working, dealing with sick people, liaising with people outside the hospital such as social services, domiciliary care companies. Arranging complex discharges.

bullying management

Terrible to work for no family/work balance and a real bullying culture that everybody knows about and nothing ever gets done about it. The only good thing is the salary but on balance with everything else its not worth it.

Pros

discounted meals in canteen

Cons

too many to list

Satisfied employee

The trust is ok to work for.Unfortunately the cut backs they make are,in my opinion,are in the wrong places,which makes the frontline staff's jobs very difficult.The training you get is good,but when the courses expire the management don't rush to renew them.The most difficult part of the job is having to use poor quality products to clean with.

Pros

Good wages

Cons

poor communication from management

Nhs is a job for life.

Why I ever left the nhs is beyond me looking back at it. The job was fun and at times felt rewarding, most of the people I met and worked with were down to earth and always willing to lend a hand of offer some friendly advice. It was also the most secure I've ever felt at a workplace.

Productive and friendly

I’ve worked at Torbay Hospital for 20 years in 4 different roles to which I very much enjoyed and progressed through the Trust. I was fortunate to complete a NVQ 3 in Health & Social Care and my Nursing Diploma through the Trust. Always friendly helpful straff with great career opportunities.

Pros

Furthering your career

Cons

Staffing at times

Work experience

I was here for a week during February 2014 for work experience and was asked to come back for Summer 2014. I didn't receive any pay for this duration, but I took away a lot of new skills and confidence.

Great team to work for

Loved the team and the environment, lots to do and keep you busy. I worked on the bank which had its advantages having two young children and got me back into working life.

Pros

work hours suited me

Cons

cuts were made and my hours on the bank didn't suit the hospital

A good hospital

It was a very good place to work for but it is now 16 years since I was there, therefore it may not be an accurate reflection as to the current working environment.

Pros

Good location.

Cons

Poor senior management communication.

Safe and secure job

This is a secure and ideal job for anyone looking to work in an office environment, however as someone who is only 22 years old, I feel that I am a little young to be here. It has a variety of job roles available to appeal to any nature of person.

A friendly and supportive place to work.

Working in the NHS in the current climate demands the delivery of more for less which makes each day a challenge. The financial constraints affect everyone and the job security that was once there has gone. The Trust however do their best to provide a supportive working environment and recognise the importance of staff wellbeing and a good work - life balance.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Demanding

Staff are well looked after

I have worked in Torbay for a number of years and I really enjoy working here. I enjoy working in an office environment as part of a team, I enjoy the amount of patient contact I have and I feel generally well looked after as an employee of Torbay Hospital.

Pros

Great annual leave entitlement

Cons

Not always flexible with working hours

Clinical Trials Administrator

Worked with a great team. Learned a lot about how clinical trials work within a secondary care setting within the UK. Able to use a lot of knowledge and experience gained within the USA within this role.

Good

On a typical day at work I collect my viist list priortise my work load, have a quick chat with my work colleagues and then start my work which is mainly lone working.the hardest part of the job is dealing with conflict. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new clients and interaction with clients.

Tobray Pharmaceuticals

Job title - Customer Services Senior Clerical Officer Job location - Torbay Pharmaceuticals in Paignton. Pay is very good with regular increments. Management varies from really helpful and supportive to very poor, no time for employees. Busy periods and tight deadlines were the hardest part of the job but if you are like me and enjoy a challenge this wouldn't be a problem. Best part of the job was getting good results and praise into the customer services dept.

Pros

great work colleagues

face pace dynamic place to work

Had to carry out various different jobs from vision test to setting up theatres. Learned to use a range of different medical devices and techniques to provide the highest standard of care for patients. Management was very supportive and pushed you to further your development. Was a very big team with a lot of different personalities great team. Dealing with the volume of patients coming through the department, the most enjoyable part was seeing the satisfaction on patients faces when the eye issues were resolved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9Job security/advancement