Total Fitness

Total Fitness Employee Reviews in Lincoln

As a club attendant it could get stressful and lonely at times, as you worked in the changing rooms. There were days when you were unable to work in the changing rooms as you had to cover sickness in other areas but would get blamed if they were left messy. It did not always feel that the management team would support you and you were left to your own devices.
The pay was stupidly low £4.35 to be exact and other people did the same job as me with more pay. Everyone was paid minimum wage unless you were higher up in management. I wouldn’t recommend working there, they don’t care about your concerns or your personal life. The conditions were awful it was either too hot, 35-38 degrees or freezing cold. Sometimes I would leave my shift without a break
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No time to ever use the free gym membership as you are sick of the place.
would recommend for work experience. variety of mentors to ensure that you know what to do if you fell confused and always willing to support you. great people and a great standard of work.
Pros
wide variety of different people with different skills to learn from
Cons
n/a
I wish I had looked at the recommendations prior to applying for this job, as I wouldn't have applied. A typical day at work consists of 4-5 hours on poolside on your own, or with a colleague where one of you is made to do cleaning so you may as well be on your own for the whole shift. There is constantly something broken on poolside so you will be forced to listen to the same complaints day in day out as they won't get it fixed for a few weeks. Pay is minimum wage, so all lifeguards are paid differently for doing exactly the same job depending on whether they're 18 or over 25. They promised this was getting reviewed in the new year but they then have no idea what is happening and the review may not be taking place. Do not expect to plan anything in advance, as the rota will not be released until 2/3 days before the next month, and they're constantly short-staffed because staff reduce their hours/leave so be prepared to cover their weekends - aka you will do the majority of your shifts over the weekend even if they tell you that you won't. Poolside is around 27 degrees on a good day, meaning it's too hot to do any cleaning but you'll get a bollocking if you don't. you can sit on the lifeguard chair and break a sweat, but they aren't willing to do anything about it.
Pros
Other lifeguard staff who are all fed up, but really friendly and chatty
Cons
long hours by yourself, hot work environment, bad organisation of shifts and poor facilities
During my time at total fitness, I worked on poolside, reception, membership, the gym and cleaning toilets. I received no trained in any of this. If like me you are a lifeguard you’re treated as vermin and ignored, if you need the toilet during your 8 hour shift (alone covering 3 pools) or need a break management WILL ignore you and mock you /say you’re lazy. They will leave you until you’re probably on the verge of crying before finally forcing an untrained member of staff (some who can’t even swim) to cover the three pools while you have a break . If members like you, you’ll get told off for speaking to them (if you don’t speak to members you’ll also get told off) you won’t get any recognition for being good at your job. Those who aren’t great at the job and don’t interact with members mostly get promotions because they normally know the right things to say and do to those in charge. If you’re being bullied they’ll cover it up or intimidate you out. I watched multiple staff members get bullied out or fired, quite a number of staff leave per month. Management always remain the same.. if that doesn’t ring alarm bells then nothing will. Some Management openly speak about their hate for the club and other management. They also speak negativlyabout members and staff. Terribly run place. Some staff hated it that much during my time they literally walked out on shift and never returned, others ‘disappeared’ which I later learned that they were actually bullied and forced out. Lincoln is the worst one of all the clubs. Some others have an amazing atmosphere where staff actually - more...
Pros
The small wage you receive for working yourself in to the ground
Cons
They’ll let you leave with no notice because they are so used to people walking out
During my time here as a club attendant I had to work on both reception and poolside (even though I wasn’t trained in either) simply because the managers didn’t want to and there was no one else due to lack of staff. The staff that did work there were lovely to work with but the managers lacked care to their employees.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Everything else
I'll tell you. You will be working on poolside your whole shift. Alone. No rotations. If you need the toilet you'll have to ring someone on a walkie talkie (usually ignored) or hang your head into the cafe and pray a friend is free. During my time working for this company I did overtime and was paid wrong for it. I worked shifts to help them out so I was on poolside from 5.30am until 10pm. I got a disciplinary for questioning if it was safe or practical to be on poolside during a power cut. I saw people get disciplined for having relationships while others were ignored. I have been called into my 3 month meeting with 4 superiors and was told my WALK was confrontational and that my bra was the wrong colour. I have been left alone on poolside for 6 hours with no break. I have had the manager close the break room and lock it because one person made a mess. There is only one room for breaks. This manager also said that if we heated up our food downstairs then she would "throw it into the carpark" at a while team meeting. I saw 3 of my friends sacked with no notice. They went upstairs and didn't come back. I stuck around for nearly a year of this abuse and it made me miserable. The day I finally quit was because my boss said if I didn't come back from my break 15 minutes early then we'd all be leaving late. (purely because he was too lazy to stand on poolside alone) Please. Don't lifeguard for these animals. You're better than them. You can make more in a factory and you won't get bullied. All the best people leave.
Pros
The other beaten down workers
Cons
Everything above.
During My time at Total Fitness I worked as a Lifeguard. It was a disaster from day 1. They left me completely on my own with zero training , and left me to set up the entire poolside area (which I was not familiar with and quite complex). Even though I was attending college at the time they were constantly pestering me to do extra shifts resulting in me being there from half 5 in the morning til 11 at night on multiple occassions, with only one half an hour break because they were so understaffed. You will be entirely restricted to the poolside area and expected to do tasks not usually required of a Lifeguard. Other staff members including duty managers are often quite open of their hatred of the company, and more specifically the club manager who was highly lazy. To top off the entire experience it equated to 2.39 an hour I was being paid, even though the minimum wage at the time for my age was double that, I was doing extra hours and I was still at college so not taxed. It is absolutely not worth investing any time in the company whatsoever unless you want to be worked like a dog for pittance.
Pros
Some nice and friendly colleagues
Cons
Everything else.
Worked here for over a year, wanted to cut down on staff so ended up doing 3 people's job. Worked all the hours under the sun, did every favour they ever asked if me. No appreciation at all! Club manager stole from the til and tried to get me to take the fall. She ended up getting sacked but just goes to show what the management is like, can't trust any of them! Eventually got signed off sick from the doctor for 2 weeks, the club manager said to me when I went to hand in my sick note that if I didn't hand my notice in then they would have to dismiss me! I never went back or looked back.
Cons
Working at Total Fitness for a week is enough to never go back as the staff are welcoming on the first day then after that leave you to roam around if you haven't been assigned anything to do and if so look forward to long hours cleaning
Pros
helping members
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Total Fitness?