Transport for London

Transport for London Employee Reviews

Fast paced, busy, competitive. Long hours and lots of traffic, but got to meet a wide variety of people. No day was the same but it was varied and challenging.
Waited for 2.5 years from interview to start. Even after being offered the job and a proposed start date for training.The culture is stressful and the management tends to make work difficult at times. They care little for your travel times and location of work. I'd not work there again unless as a train driver. The Customer service assistant role is tedious and stressful at times.Perks are good,. Training is good. Control of shifts and life balance is almost impossible. Salary is good. But you sacrifice alot for money.
Pros
Travel card.
Cons
As stated
You can’t disagree with management they will fire you, too much beaurecracy, office politics made a complain about any senior leader they pay a private investigator to watch your every move
Pros
free travel
My time at TfL was professional, productive and fun. All members I worked with were qualified and keen to deliver a good product. The levels of supervision over the subcontractors could have been better managed, but overall programme works rarely fell behind, and the final product was professionally delivered. Compliance and quality were never compromised to meet programme deadlines.
Pros
a sense of togetherness once known
Cons
long hours and too many inexperienced graduates in management
Sadly I lost my job due to the coronavirus but working for Transport for London was the best job I’ve had. It felt more like a career then just a job. Fantastic salary, good working life balance and very supportive management.
Pros
Hours and salary
Cons
I worked at Transport for London for 14 years. A great company, with great benefits. Really good working culture and employees are taken care of. I'd highly recommend.
Pros
Free Travel.
Cons
No overtime paid.
Nice company, lack of diversity in top management. Do not use your own initiative or bring new ideas to the company. Beauracratic, especially in the professional services.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Old school management, lack of diversity in top management, keep your head down and you will be fine, dont think for yourself or they will plot to oust you.
good place to work friendly staff members fantastic opportunity and a great place with great vibes as well and an amazing place to be I will recommend to anyone looking for a career in IT anytime or day
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Very vindictive inexperienced management team that was very unprofessional and unsupportive. Horrible place to work for minimum wage and worse employment experience of my life.
Pros
Cons
Very untrustworthy 8.35
While I was only on a temporary contract, it was a good place to work. I would like to have continued, but this was not possible within the department.
Pros
Good facilities at Southwark; Free Travel; Good colleagues with bonus of sports clubs etc
Cons
Politics in managment; budget responsibility to the mayor rather than passengers.
Plenty to do much not sure of the organisation's objectives. Mainly due to the financial constraints imposed by the coronavirus I guess. Much seems to revolve around the failings of larger projects
Pros
pleasant working conditions
Cons
inadequate middle management
I love working for TfL. It is a very interesting and Challenging environment. I learn everyday and there is always an opportunity for everybody to learn new skills. We have Skill share lunch on weekly basis, and always look forward to these activity. We also work like family, both at project team level or Organisation as a Whole. Management is caring and listen to every one.
I was lucky to work in a department where everyone was valued and respected. I had a great line manager. Made many friends over the years. There is nothing to stop you advancing.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Jobs for the boys. Management paid lip service to following/understanding project management methodology (their own). Wasting public money hand over fist due to this. I was made to feel very isolated when questioning this and felt I had to leave.
Its a fun place to work but it depends on where you are based. Palestra is not the idea place to be based due to the fact that you wont have a permanent desk but other locations are beautiful yo be based at.
Cons
re-org every two or three years
The time that i spent at transport for London was great. Working in a team is something that comes naturally to me and I felt like it gave me a great insight into how working as an engineer would be.
Benefits are quite extensive, salary good but not the best, interesting place to work. Some of the governance processes can be quite frustrating some times
At a senior level there are a lot of challenges faced at Transport for London (TfL), but if you are the sort of person that thrives in that environment then you will not be bored. There are a huge number of very talented people in TfL too; there's a lot to learn from the staff and the customers. There are few restful days in SHE, it is full-on all of the time. Personal accountability is important, because mistakes could become public.
The environment in the workplace is well structured and not at all stressful many colleagues can easily adapt and work in their surroundings often communicating to others around them for guidance
Employer with deep and genuine commitment to staff welfare and wellness. Collaborative and interesting work environment with clearly defined goals, principles, standards and missions. Broad range of opportunities for advancement and development. Highly collaborative approach to management with genuine staff involvement and participation. Highly recommend it as a place to work.
Excellent place to work for despite ongoing structural changes it is a decent company to work for - the people and overall culture is exceptional. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Pros
Free travel & pension
Cons
Long hours during busy periods