Transport for London
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Transport for London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom347 reviews

Not a bad choice

Nice to cater staff needs and generous staff benefit. The work style would not push too hard but might be problem for a big project. Good to be with then for long term career investment.

Pros

Great pension scheme of which this generation could never get it elsewhere

Cons

Clumsy management and slow to impose change

Good culture

Good team, culture, career benefits. Good management, variety of type of work. Knowledgeable colleagues . Good benefits, and there us scope for promotion.

Insights into Transport for London

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Inclusive work environment

Work place is okay.

Drive the bus is ok, but it can be stressful at times, dealing with the public its not a easy one I think every one knows that, plus the managers always take the public side. But the job itself is ok it puts food on the table, pay not too bad but could be better. You have to work five years before get to top pay. Hope this helps.

Good work/life balance

Good work life balance. Supportive line manages on most instances. Sometimes it’s about faces rather than what you know though, when it comes to promotions.

Great place to work. If you are hard working and committed you can excel .

Transport for London is a great place to work for. Good SalaryPlenty of opportunities to further your career.Strongly believe in Equal opportunities.Fun place to work as lots of activities after work.Good in house training opportunities.

Pros

Free Travel pass

Cons

n/a

All down to whether or not you fit, and if you have additional needs/disabilities.

Initially thought it was a great company to work for, very diverse yet overtime, cracks appeared. They’re good at taking on a very diverse workforce, of all backgrounds, abilities and disabilities but useless at retaining them as they don’t provide the support required.Too much uncertainty, clear directions are not provided, so when contract is expiring, you’ve no idea of what the next steps are, nor are management. Apprentice Coaches (managers) are generally inexperienced (this is usually their first foray into management), but there doesn’t seem much support or training for them so they are just as unaware as apprentices are of options and availability of support. Very clique, you have to fit in to get anywhere or brown-nose management. Having a disability means you will be forgotten about, your peers will progress ahead of you, because any request for adjustments or support will be passed from pillar to post, meaning you fall behind (this generally isn’t the case if a college/university is providing the training aspect, but if it is private training led, then the responsibility falls to TFL however the policies they have are in place are outdated, the contacts they have to provide support are usually expired and they will constantly pass you back and forth). Occupational Health will do a recommendation of adjustments which must be adhered to, but you must keep a copy as management changes often and they will try to disregard your adjustments. Senior management have been defensive throughout the pandemic when doing monthly updates, talking down genuine concerns or queries. -

Pros

Free Oyster card for yourself and one other (of the same address, talks of this being removed). Season Ticket Loan and 75% Reimbursement. Cycle2Work. Pre-covid, many had the option to WFH one day a week, however this was not widely known/down to each manager.

Cons

Cons are in review box.

Poor payer, 4 salary increases in 14 years, no reward of senior managers, gain experience then get job elsewhere at market rates.

Would not recommend as an employer unless to gain experience as a stepping stone to enhancing career at market rates. TfL tries to justify lower salaries through the benefits it offers but which have been and are still being whittled away over the years. TfL continues to fall behind other employers on the packages it offers.Suggest considering other employers who can offer much more than TfL.

Pros

Fair work life balance, Benefits reasonable. Pay reasonable (but no salary increases, not even cost of living), Free Oyster Card for employee and dependent, 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays, Performance bonus for senior managers but rarely paid and minimal, Final salary pension (currently under review due to cost pressures and so may change).

Cons

Very senior mgt unreliable & untrustworthy, No salary increases for senior managers & high performers, Prides openness but no transparency over performance ratings, LU staff treated preferentially over TfL staff in pay threat of tube strikes, No strategic direction Weak senior management pandering to the DfT, Frequent reorganisation & bureaucratic, increasing levels of senior management / governance, No training and / or development available, little time for managers to manage, No opportunity for career progression as no structured approach

TfL wonderful employer but no future for progression

I have enjoyed my time at TFL, but it's not fit progression unless your are part of the click.Good benefits and working conditions are work was not too challenging.

Pros

I enjoyed my work It was ok not too challenging, Flexible working is good, even though its manager dependent. Good pay, Free travel pass and discounts, Nice offices, and working conditions.

Cons

Management has been there 20+years, not willing to change, Some are like bullies and untouchable, There are alot of unskilled people job for life kind of people, Tfl has 5 people doing 3 people work, Alot of contractors especially ex employees coming back as contractors, There is them and us culture, Definitely racist or atleast in my experience, Company that wastes money on vanity projects.

Gold plated pensions

nice if you can get them, the unions rule the roost and weak management that have no clear direction except to the end of the line. easy days and always plenty of spares on the shift so you don't have to work hard and can laze in the canteen or rest rooms if you so wish

Pros

pension

Cons

poor management

No career progression and never ending transformation

Slow career progression for BAME. Lots of favouritism, long distance to the office (North Greenwich) if you are in commercials or IT.Pre Covid - no work life balance

Pros

Free travel pass within London, discounted season tickets if you live outside London, regular trainings

Cons

Pre Covid - no work life balance, career stagnation

Workplace is good but management is poor

I enjoyed working here but experienced some micro aggressive behaviour from some management and colleagues. If you are a "yes sir/no sir" personality type, you will fit right in.

Pros

The new offices are lovely

Cons

Small minded self assured colleagues

Terrible biased culture.

I work at the Network Management Control Centre. A real fancy name. I was excited when I first joined this place. It felt like it was a serious and important job. I was wrong. People just worked differently. There is no common standard amongst peers and on how they work. The training was not great. Ongoing training was no better. Supervision is nil. When things are raised (concerns) nothing is done. Stuff just swept under the carpet. The general management and leadership is just really bad. The Senior Management Team like to project a real purpose, but the reality is different. Promotion? People get promoted not on merit, but on the diversity drive TfL promote. It is all about box ticking. Basically, if you have something to offer but do not tick those 'diversity' boxes or are part of the unique clique of management then just forget about it. I'm only still here because no one bothers me or picks up when I do things wrong. I relax. This really is not a serious role or as important as I originally thought. Plus side, the money is great, as are the perks. If you want an easy life and you don't really care about things or life and even tick those boxes then this job is for you. If you want some meaning to your existence then this is not it. I will move jobs when a good alternative arrives.

Pros

Pay and benefits.

Cons

Everything else. It is shift work too. 24/7 365 Days.

No direction

I worked at the NMCC. Been with this department for a few years. Seen many changes, but sadly, not for the best. The leadership is poor. Training very poor. Very little direction or support from management. Generally dysfunctional and lacking. Constructive criticism is frowned upon. Ideas rejected. Too many people promoting their own agendas that have little value to the running of the department. Most of all is the sheer waste of money thrown in staff as overtime to cover jobs. I am glad I moved across to another department in TFL. Avoid this place.

Pros

Money

Cons

Leadership

Very poor organisation cannot manage the taxi industry properly.They treat people with utter contempt. is very poor service .

Terrible management of transport, they don’t care about taxi drivers or the excellent service they provide.No protection is given to the historical importance of the taxi trade.Interloper services providing an inferior product is encouraged by this organisation.

Pros

Cannot think of any

Cons

Long hours poor financial returns

Not a place for those who value their work life balance.

Waited for 2.5 years from interview to start. Even after being offered the job and a proposed start date for training.The culture is stressful and the management tends to make work difficult at times. They care little for your travel times and location of work. I'd not work there again unless as a train driver. The Customer service assistant role is tedious and stressful at times.Perks are good,. Training is good. Control of shifts and life balance is almost impossible. Salary is good. But you sacrifice alot for money.

Pros

Travel card.

Cons

As stated

Corporate Bullies

You can’t disagree with management they will fire you, too much beaurecracy, office politics made a complain about any senior leader they pay a private investigator to watch your every move

Pros

free travel

Fast paced

Fast paced, busy, competitive. Long hours and lots of traffic, but got to meet a wide variety of people. No day was the same but it was varied and challenging.

Productive and fun workplace

My time at TfL was professional, productive and fun. All members I worked with were qualified and keen to deliver a good product. The levels of supervision over the subcontractors could have been better managed, but overall programme works rarely fell behind, and the final product was professionally delivered. Compliance and quality were never compromised to meet programme deadlines.

Pros

a sense of togetherness once known

Cons

long hours and too many inexperienced graduates in management

Transport for London

Sadly I lost my job due to the coronavirus but working for Transport for London was the best job I’ve had. It felt more like a career then just a job. Fantastic salary, good working life balance and very supportive management.

Pros

Hours and salary

Cons

A great company to work for.

I worked at Transport for London for 14 years. A great company, with great benefits. Really good working culture and employees are taken care of. I'd highly recommend.

Pros

Free Travel.

Cons

No overtime paid.

Do not work here if you have a brain.

Nice company, lack of diversity in top management. Do not use your own initiative or bring new ideas to the company. Beauracratic, especially in the professional services.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Old school management, lack of diversity in top management, keep your head down and you will be fine, dont think for yourself or they will plot to oust you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transport for London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement