Transport for London

Transport for London Work-life balance reviews

Clear
4.2Pay & benefits

Fast paced

Fast paced, busy, competitive. Long hours and lots of traffic, but got to meet a wide variety of people. No day was the same but it was varied and challenging.

Terrible biased culture.

I work at the Network Management Control Centre. A real fancy name. I was excited when I first joined this place. It felt like it was a serious and important job. I was wrong. People just worked differently. There is no common standard amongst peers and on how they work. The training was not great. Ongoing training was no better. Supervision is nil. When things are raised (concerns) nothing is done. Stuff just swept under the carpet. The general management and leadership is just really bad. The Senior Management Team like to project a real purpose, but the reality is different. Promotion? People get promoted not on merit, but on the diversity drive TfL promote. It is all about box ticking. Basically, if you have something to offer but do not tick those 'diversity' boxes or are part of the unique clique of management then just forget about it. I'm only still here because no one bothers me or picks up when I do things wrong. I relax. This really is not a serious role or as important as I originally thought. Plus side, the money is great, as are the perks. If you want an easy life and you don't really care about things or life and even tick those boxes then this job is for you. If you want some meaning to your existence then this is not it. I will move jobs when a good alternative arrives.

Pros

Pay and benefits.

Cons

Everything else. It is shift work too. 24/7 365 Days.

Very poor organisation cannot manage the taxi industry properly.They treat people with utter contempt. is very poor service .

Terrible management of transport, they don’t care about taxi drivers or the excellent service they provide.No protection is given to the historical importance of the taxi trade.Interloper services providing an inferior product is encouraged by this organisation.

Pros

Cannot think of any

Cons

Long hours poor financial returns

Productive and fun workplace

My time at TfL was professional, productive and fun. All members I worked with were qualified and keen to deliver a good product. The levels of supervision over the subcontractors could have been better managed, but overall programme works rarely fell behind, and the final product was professionally delivered. Compliance and quality were never compromised to meet programme deadlines.

Pros

a sense of togetherness once known

Cons

long hours and too many inexperienced graduates in management

Transport for London

Sadly I lost my job due to the coronavirus but working for Transport for London was the best job I’ve had. It felt more like a career then just a job. Fantastic salary, good working life balance and very supportive management.

Pros

Hours and salary

Cons

A great company to work for.

I worked at Transport for London for 14 years. A great company, with great benefits. Really good working culture and employees are taken care of. I'd highly recommend.

Pros

Free Travel.

Cons

No overtime paid.

Do not work here if you have a brain.

Nice company, lack of diversity in top management. Do not use your own initiative or bring new ideas to the company. Beauracratic, especially in the professional services.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Old school management, lack of diversity in top management, keep your head down and you will be fine, dont think for yourself or they will plot to oust you.

Productive and Fun Workplace

good place to work friendly staff members fantastic opportunity and a great place with great vibes as well and an amazing place to be I will recommend to anyone looking for a career in IT anytime or day

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

I was lucky to work in a department where everyone was valued and respected. I had a great line manager. Made many friends over the years. There is nothing to stop you advancing.

Pros

Free Travel

Cons

Bullying environment. Probably had a good case for constructive dismissal.

Jobs for the boys. Management paid lip service to following/understanding project management methodology (their own). Wasting public money hand over fist due to this. I was made to feel very isolated when questioning this and felt I had to leave.

Tough environment but really interesting

At a senior level there are a lot of challenges faced at Transport for London (TfL), but if you are the sort of person that thrives in that environment then you will not be bored. There are a huge number of very talented people in TfL too; there's a lot to learn from the staff and the customers. There are few restful days in SHE, it is full-on all of the time. Personal accountability is important, because mistakes could become public.

Excellent place to work for despite ongoing structural changes it is a decent company to work for - the people and overall culture is exceptional. . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . .. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pros

Free travel & pension

Cons

Long hours during busy periods

Love my team

I really enjoy working with my colleagues at the station. I feel supported and appreciated. It can be very stressful at times as the station gets really busy and a bit overwhelmed by the passenger flow, but everyone is very proactive and supportive.

Great place to work - needs to review recruitment process

They pay well and the benefits are great. However growth can be slow as no one leaves the organisation, this combined with 30% reduction means there are very little opportunities. Additionally the team know who they want before they place adverts.

Good place to work overall

Job has changed, and now it is a customer can abuse the staff with impunity whereas before you were supported more by the company a decent job with a very poor work life balance

Productive and fun workplace

Amazing company that helps your work life balance. Always helps you grow in your career in any way possible with supportive line managers. Work never really stays the same and very collaborative teams

Productive and fun work place, stressful at times.

A good company to work for. Day to day routines vary depending on the job your doing. good salary, good pension. A very safe place to work, TFL are very focused on the safety of its employees.

Lively

The work atmosphere was good and the place of where i worked alongside the location was just perfect however there is no going up the ladder or permanent roles

Job is fine but managers never back you up your guilty even when your innocent as I said job is good meeting public having a laugh hours are good only draw back is your on your own most of the time. And if emergency arises you deal with everything good salary tho

Interesting, Gentle, Thoughtful.

Nice place to work, thoughtful and kind colleagues, Our customers are the nicest, gentlest most delicate members of our nation. TFL is a massive authority so there is always scope for promotion or change.

Pros

Big Employer.

Cons

Lots of employees.

Amazing place to work

Really got working culture right and values all staff and their wellbeing. A pleasure to work here. Pay bands are very generous and there are clear routes of progression.

Pros

Working culture, free travel

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transport for London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement