Transport for Wales
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Transport for Wales Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Decent pay, alot of weekend work

Overall good place to work depending on your role and manager. If in North Wales not a vast array of job opportunities. Prefer women over men at present fir recruitment of train crew.

Pros

Free Rail travel

Cons

Weekends

Good Job Security But Big Workload & Cliquey

The work/job is secure but they expect way too much from the lower paid staff, they use 'flexibility' and 'teamwork' as an excuse to pile the work on you and work which is above your paygrade.Progression is very hard to non existent unless you are from another rail company in Wales and the managers / directors have previously worked with them there (very cliquey). A lot of empty promises are put to you!

Insights into Transport for Wales

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Energising work tasks

Great culture and progression opportunities

I’ve been with the company since 2020 and I’ve found the teams I’ve worked with to be really collaborative, helpful and friendly. Every day is different and always learning new things or learning about new teams and projects. Good progression opportunities. Salaries are okay, it could improve by rising with the increase in living costs.

Pros

Great culture and people

Cons

Salary increases

Perfect

I'm relatively new to the TFW family but i must say i have been blown away by the organisation. From interview, recruitment and induction everything was organised and perfect. The culture is fab with staff given a work life balance and great perks

Pros

Work life balance, working from home, salary, pension, great culture, great HR dept

Relaxed and fun

Good pay good job . Nice place to work. Good work teams. Shift patterns are good for family life. Free train travel for partners and Children. All uniform is supplied by company. I worked in the depot , so safety has to be followed due to lots of moving trains.

Worst company to work for

Just about the worst company to work for. It is without doubt the most shambolic and ill conceived transport company in the UK. This is not the sort of job for those seeking good long term career prospects.

Just a number

Many loyal years with the company only to be overlooked and turned down for progressive job posts. In the end I had to leave. The majority of station management are inexperienced with poor people skills.Unless you’re in a relationship with someone from HR or in general your face fits then it’s tough to progress anywhere! Salary is okay unless you’re working in the valleys which can only be described as working in Beirut! Secure job - but promotion prospects are poor as they prefer new people they can mold to their way of working. I left the job and now work Monday to Friday earning 35k-40k per annum & it was the best move I ever made.

Pros

Free Travel

Cons

Clueless station managers who are run by HR.lack of promotion for long term staff.

Too much bitchyness

I have worked on the frontline for a while as a gate line staff member. Too many people working here get involved in everyone’s business and too many lazy people on MASSIVE salary’s doing nawt! Management don’t do nothing as the are just walking around drinking coffee and pointing the finger!!! Don’t need half these managers so save money and have less managers

Pros

Cons

None trains are tooOld

Productive Place to work

The people are friendly and helpfull. Being in the centre of Cardiff it is easy to get to by car, train or bus. You work from laptops so you can on occation and especially since Covid be able to do your work at home,

Pros

Free Tea and Coffee

Cons

It was only temp work

Execellent company for progression

Good overall place to work. Great work/life balance with 4 day week every third week a long weekend off. Good prospects for advancement within the company. Downside unsavoury customers at times. If you can learn to ignore them and keep yourself safe, great job

Pros

Well paid, excellent prospects

Cons

Skip rat kids riding ticketless

Productive proactive place to work.

TfW is a collaborative and supportive organisation. I had great genuine support through personal difficult times.My role is challenging and enjoyable and I am encouraged to grow and to be myself.Managers are approachable and encouraging. The people are friendly and pre covid would organise different socials charity events and activities. There is wellness support , cycle to work scheme and free travel in the network.

Pros

Supportive culture

Avoid - Management are bullies

If your face doesn’t fit you’ll be out at 3 mths.Directors and management don’t take on board any issues, they pile on the workload and expect you to do tasks which are not in your job description.

I've been working at Transport for Wales for just over a month and I can honestly say I've experienced the best onboarding process that I have had with any other company previously. Management have been supportive and made me feel very much a part of team, this is despite everything being virtual due to the current pandemic. The culture of the company is fantastic, there is a strong emphasis on a work/life balance and it is enforced across the company at all levels. There is a huge focus on Diversity and Inclusion and I am proud to work for a company that shares the same passion as me surrounding this area. TfW have such an ambitious plan so the role is challenging but very rewarding. I am challenged in a good way everyday and my Manager is very approachable and supportive so we can get the job done together.

Pros

The culture

Cons

None!

A great place to work

With Transport for Wales being such a young business, they encourage you to bring your full self to work, allowing you the opportunity to be heard and listened. I thoroughly enjoy being a part of a work culture that allows me to be myself which motivates me everyday. The business is young and growing therefore the work can be fast paced and days long however your work life balance is very much encouraged to ensure you manage this. The executive team and the collective TfW workforce are a great team of people that will go out of their way to help and support when ever required.

Feel connected to TfW's mission

TfW is a dynamic and exciting place to work. As we're relatively young, we have the opportunity to learn from other companies and our past experiences to set up TfWs processes and policies to work right first time - putting wellbeing; efficiency and a 'golden thread' between what we do on a day-to-day basis and the mission - to deliver the South Wales Metro and to enhance the experience of transport users in Wales - at the heart of what we do. I've feel engaged, connected, empowered and part of the change that we're delivering. We have to be brave in what we do - often challenging the norm, and doing things in a different way - it means we can be innovative, flexible and always building with the future in mind

Pros

Free Tea!

Cons

Hard to keep track of new starters - we're constantly growing

Such a rewarding place to work

I have worked here for two years now and I still love it. The opportunities are endless, and the team really encourage progression and continuous improvement, which I like. There is a lot to do so we work hard, however, the social side of the company is also great.

Pros

The experience of working in a "start up".

Cons

Supportive management and positive culture

New to the organisation but the interview process was really well managed and organised. The culture seems to be really positive with great management who get to know their teams to the highest level. They care about the wellbeing of staff and seem to have a good structure for development.

Pros

Development structure and remote working

Cons

Benefits are slightly lacking

Lovely place to work

Having been working at TfW for a few months now, normally you would still feel new, but I certainly don't. From day 1 everyone was friendly and welcoming and I feel like part of the TfW family now. The SLT are not scary like in some places, you can easily sit and have a chat without being nervous. The work is good too, I feel challenged on a daily basis but I am not overwhelmed either. There is also tremendous support if you do feel like the work is too much. A fabulous company that I would recommend to anyone to work for.

A Chance to Make a Real Difference to Transport in Wales

As TfW is still in it's infancy as an organisation, there is a great opportunity to shape the future of transport in Wales. The Senior Leadership Team are accessible and open to ideas and feedback. The company culture is excellent; there's a lot of collaborative working across departments and staff are happy to help out where needed. The benefits package is not yet fully formed but is being worked on and looks promising. Salaries are fair compared to market rates and the pension and annual leave provision are good. I feel there are opportunities within the company to grow and develop.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transport for Wales. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Transport for Wales with

Transport for Wales reviews by location

Learn about Transport for Wales in popular locations

• Transport for Wales
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?