Travelodge logo
Happiness score is 47 out of 100Low

Travelodge Employee Reviews

Very good company

Featured review

Travelodge selected this as a representative review
I have only been working at travelodge for a couple of months and it's so much better then my previous job. I have an amazing manager who is always there if you need to talk about anything. My colleagues are great, everyone is just so nice and welcoming from day one.

Pros

Amazing work life. Good pay. Training given.

Cons

I don't have any

16 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to read your comments and that you're enjoying your support from your Manager and in your role. We wish you all the best in your career at Travelodge.

Situational workspace

Very much depends on if you have a good manager and good staff team. Great for security + transfers, but not worth the pay if you are management. Hours have consistently been cut over the years leaving many hotels very short on housekeeping and reception staff so many staff members end up getting overworked - especially in smaller hotels that have much smaller teams.Other than that it can be a really nice place to work. Hours are flexible within reason, and you’ll always get the hours you’re contracted to.

Pros

50% discount, great transfer opportunities, management training course available

Cons

Weird work schedules, low pay for expected tasks

Avoid

•Minimal training•Strict cleaning procedures•Expect 5* on 1* star hotel•Grotty customers, dirty rooms•Horrible management•No help when needed•Don’t take injuries or sick days seriously•Mental health isn’t a concern for them•Horrible workload, expected in record time•Supervisors/Housekeepers who think they’re superior in every aspect and talk down to you•Unhealthy, sneaky work relationships•Bright in the beginning, a couple months in you see what it’s really like•No care for personal life, flexibility is a lie•Always scheduled for more hours than actually contracted for•Severely understaffed

Pros

Free breakfast and drinks during work

Cons

Working out-with agreed hours, no breaks, no gratitude from managers

Worst job ive ever had......

Lone night working.cleaner.ironing shower curtains.washing.filling trolleys on 3 floors. 6 staircases.receptionist. In charge of up to 130 through the night on ur own as well as fire officer, security and door person. Worst job ever had to do. STAY away from Travelodge unless your a guest. Minimum wage is an absolute disgrace.

Nice little job to have

I started about 4/5 weeks ago just to earn some extra money for my household, and for the hours i do and my position at travelodge, I have had my first wage this week and have been able to treat my children with what I've already earned. It's a nice job to have, everyone I work with are really nice and have made me feel very welcome and apart of the team, from my interview till now. The days go fast as its basically non stop work (but not in a bad way) and overal a nice decent little job to have 👍

Pros

50%off bar restaurant and hotel stays

28 July 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to read your comments. One of the great things about Travelodge is our people so it's great you're already settled as part of the team.

Never Again!

Don’t do it! Possibly one of the worst companies I’ve worked for! They sell you the dream at the interview in reality you don’t get treated very well. The work that is involved deserves more than minimum wage.

Pros

Cons

Lots

Great place to work at

Friendly staff. If you work on housekeeping staff are happy to help each other with the rooms. Always having a laugh. No day is the same. If you want somewhere that you can say "I want to go to work" thus is the place. Management will always work around you as much as possible.

Pros

Helpful team member. Great management.

Too much responsibility for too little money

3 months in as nights receptionist, I'm a security guard, receptionist, barman, waiter, glorified cleaner, book keeper and general nice guy ..this job is all over the place, they ask you to do all jobs in the hotel.On busy days it's really hard. You get people having meltdowns over menial stuff, you get complaints from people fishing for refunds, you get people pulling alarms not knowing what they are, when the bar is busy you have to deal with bar AND reception at the same time, which is very stressful. At end of day I have to print loads of reports and financial reports, all of which cause stress.I'm quitting tomorrow as this job is nowhere near what was advertised and for minimum wage they ask way too much.The job isn't hard, a kid could do it, but the level of stress, coupled with night shifts for such little pay, for me, is a complete no go. No job is worth doing three jobs for the wages of one.

Pros

50% discount on accomodation and food/drinks

Cons

3 to 4 jobs in one, low pay, very high staff turnover

Good job and Work

I'm really enjoyed travelodge housekeeping team member at work and after call me on behalf for upex group before i go straight to travelodge hotel location for London. I'm best day of my life than ever, but i should never quit the job travelodge housekeeping, it's was my mistake to begin with. So when Covid-19 is over, i can go back to work and start over again.

Pros

Lunch

Cons

16 hours per week

Receptionist

An appalling place to work so avoid at all costs. Despite what generic response you see below the workplace culture is awful staff support is disgusting. And if you need proof you only need to see they only pay minimum wage proving they don't value your time.There are all sorts of internal problems with returning staff, managers with longevity who are resistant to change and clearly have their favourites. If your face doesn't fit dont expect to be in the job very long. You were warned. The waste of time people team number will be listed below - don't bother expect robotic responses and no active listening.

Pros

Hotel discount (But Premier Inn is 60%)

Cons

Clicky, poor communication across the board, terrible recruitment practices

2 July 2021
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to read your comments. During advertising and initial conversations we like to set out what you’ll be doing so that you know what to expect, but should you ever have any concerns about your role, or the team we'd encourage you to speak to your Hotel Manager or District Manager. Your feedback is really important so I'm sorry that you feel there is no active listening. We're always looking for ways to improve Travelodge for our customers and colleagues, and do so in a number of ways. Whether it's the annual Your Voice survey, reviews on Glassdoor and Indeed, listening groups and DM town hall meetings, or the employee represented group meetings. All the feedback we gather help us make better decisions, by drawing directly on the experiences of people across all the parts of Travelodge, so thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Jobs at Travelodge

See more jobs

Hard work and no appreciation

20 minutes to clean a room is ridiculous especially when the majority of guests leave the rooms like a pig sty. The rooms smell bad and people use them for all sorts of stuff not just a getaway. All staff are two faced and talk about people behind their backs, it became really uncomfortable for me to stay there. I worked really hard there and had no appreciation for what I did, if you're not liked as much as other staff members they will get above you. I felt completely used working at this place.

Pros

Cons

Staff, pay, everything

Very hard work.

Originally working here was for 2 people on shift at night for safety but that changed allegedly because of covid. Not long after this an incident occured in another travelodge which didn't fill my confidence working at night, I was only temporary and the night shifts were very hard when being a parent often leaving me shattered but I knew this would happen when taking the role on, I left a little before my contract ended as I secured a job elsewhere. I didn't really get to mix with the team so can't comment on the teamwork and training was OK for my short time there. I didn't get an official break when working from 11pm-7am which did make the job hard to get through and was told we weren't entitled to one.

Pros

Pay rate.

Cons

Night shifts are hard work no breaks.

Impossible Workload but Friendly Team

I did struggle quite a lot at this job as to get the room standards up to scratch, you need a lot more time than they expect from you for each room - within 6 hours I struggled to do 10 rooms but it’s more expected to finish a room within 20 minutes. I constantly had back pain throughout and I can’t imagine having to work in hot summers with how overwhelming it was. However, the training was pretty good and the manager was very friendly and definitely treated me as an equal, however some of the staff that had been there a while weren’t always talked to as nicely. Overall a good job with quite fixed hours and shifts but just very draining and disheartening work.

Pros

Friendly Management

Cons

Impossible Expectations

Not a good company to work for

Had multiple managers while employed there & none of them help you at all. They don’t want you to progress further in the company & leave you to fend for yourself. When guests complain & demand to speak to manager, you have to deal with the problem yourself. If the manager has to make changes to the rota they won’t consult you & you have to deal with it. Some of the colleagues were favoured by culture & managers don’t know everything they even leave you to go without a full pay. If it wasn’t for the friendships, would have left sooner. Woke up everyday feeling depressed & down about going to work, hoping things would change & everyday left work not feeling any better. Really not an enjoyable work place or company to work for. Sad really ☹️☹️☹️

Pros

Some nice friendships made

Cons

Malicious, lazy & disloyal colleagues

It's a decent job

Working nightshifts was what I applied for so working same days, same hours with the same people. That's what I wanted. Night rate is far better that other hotels even those with more stars. Communication between shifts is not always perfect. Pretty friendly atmosphere to some extent. The company handled well communication and furlough leave and pay during lockdown. Never had any delays in pay however mistakes happen.

Pros

Contracted regular hours and pay, life assurance, 50% discounts on food, drinks and rooms, opportunities for career development

Cons

hectic during peak times, Staff and management with varied work ethics, Hospitality can be frustrating, Split day shifts is a no for me

Underpaid and overworked

Doing several people's work in same amount of time for minimum wage!!! Stressed, rushed and tired!! Not enough appreciation, no incentive to work, they want you to work everyday all day!!! 😡😡

Pros

Cons

Rubbish pay, long hours, overworked, no appreciation

OK workplace

The work place is OK, mostly filled with old timers being stubborn in their method of working. Expectations are often miss placed and often bad management from all different areas of the business. Salary is ask heavily below national average, with no job security.

Pros

Good Discount

Cons

Old Systems

Hard work

They easily accept ppl but if you work in a bug hotel is a lot of work you get average 23 rooms toClean by 18:00 it’s a lot. There is appointment to advance.

Pros

You get paid, they don’t mess w/ your money

Cons

Too physically challenging

Stressful it’s not worth your health

* lack of training!! Thrown in at the deep end you will be more qualified for housekeeping than reception!!Always told to phone other Travelodge’s if there was an issue.* gossiping is rife! If you are available 24/7 no family commitments Are never ill, don’t like taking holidays or are ok with them being interrupted! I think you’ll be ok! After a serious incident occurred in another Travelodge lone working became very stressful no one should work alone in a budget hotel!!

Pros

Met some interesting people

Cons

Underpaid unappreciated

Very hard job and awful management

Do not work here! If I could give minus stars I would! Travelodge are very tight therefor leading you to work very hard and quick to clean rooms in a ridiculous amount of time. Management are not helpful at all, very strict and not the good kind. They didn’t train me properly and you don’t get any breaks. They also do not give you positive feedback, only negative and I was there for almost a yeae. Truly the most horrible company to work for, don’t do it. I used to do weekends and they would text me and hour before my shift letting me know if I should come in or not. Imagine not knowing when your needed for work an HOUR before? AWFUL PLACE!

Pros

Short shifts

Cons

Bad management, stupid targets, awful money for the work your doing.

17 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to read your comments, and understand how important your manager is to how you feel at work. Whilst it's reasonable for your Manager to set targets and expectations on how long it should take to complete any work tasks, you should feel your manager is approachable and that they understand and listen to your view. Travelodge is focusing on getting the right people in the right place at the right time, and as such hours across hotels will flex dependant on occupancy. We do understand the importance of the rota in helping our colleagues manage their lives outside of work. This is why our rotas are given out 3 weeks in advance. For any unavoidable changes to the rotas, for example sickness, we'll always contact Team Members as soon as possible, but appreciate the frustration that this can cause.

just awful

honestly just don't waste your time, you'll get paid yes, but sometimes jobs aren't worth the stress, the amount of panic attacks this job gave me was unreal. Staff turnover was around 2 new staff a week, I had my training and was training up new people the next week, that sort of bad.

Pros

Half price food

Cons

Very long hours
  • Travelodge