Travis Perkins plc
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

Travis Perkins plc Employee Reviews

United Kingdom840 reviews

Found some staff ok to get on with and some where hard work was asked the impossible some time but only buy 1 menber of staff.

Found I was rushed and had no idea on bad traffic situations and was once asked to do some I learn course whilst on my tacho break. But met some nice people there and some bad. And if they under pressure it shows

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Good

Good place to work. Enjoyed my time there although it was unfortunately cut short due to covid19. Senior management were approachable and communication was clear throughout furlough period.

Depends on where you work from

Job not too bad but h&s is over the top and you not allowed to use your own common sense. There do follows you while you out on the road and take pictures of you to see if you do everything by there book as if we don’t have enough to worries about them looking over your shoulder

Great place to work but job security an unexpected worry

Start working at TP, met some great people, obtained my forklift licence and picked up the job fairly easily. I actually could see myself staying there for many years as I thoroughly enjoyed the job. Unfortunately, due to a company restructure they decided to make my role redundant. I was brought in to the office part-way through my shift for an unexpected meeting to let me know that I was no longer needed and I would be sent home with a week’s notice worth of pay on top of what I’d worked to date. No consultation prior to this so I had no idea this was going to happen. Take the word ‘permanent’ with a pinch of salt.

Pros

Good working environment

Cons

Risk of redundancy

I would definitely recommend.

So far I have found Travis Perkins to be a very good employer. They have recently increased the HGV drivers salary in my region and although it's not quite up to other merchants pay in the area there is a bonus scheme to get up to an extra £2400 per year if you drive in a safe manner which is scored from A-G, A paying the most and G paying less.There is a good atmosphere at my branch and staff get along well. You are always backed up by management if you are not comfortable while making a delivery if you find it is not safe. I have found that there is plenty of opportunity for development within the branch but you have to want it and put yourself forward for it, it is no good sitting there waiting for it to come to you, you need to have drive!Not every branch is going to be the same, some will be better than others. There is also opportunity to move around the group of companies as HGV drivers are needed in most of them. The hours are pretty good to be honest and you know 99% of the time you will be finished at your finish time unlike other truck driving jobs.Overall I would definitely recommend a career within Travis Perkins just try not to listen to the old timer drivers as they do love to moan about anything and everything.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Nothing really worth mentioning

Great place to work with good career development

Great place to work!Very supportive environment and good career progression opportunities. The pay is good.It can very demanding so you may find this challenging.

Nope

Rubbish management! Nobody cares about you as you’re just a number to them. Everyone is out for themselves. I’m not saying every branch is like this.

Not bad but not the best.

Decent place, decent company and most colleagues are ok to get on with. Management is a bit iffy - lots of young inexperienced people in positions of management that their not qualified for and it often shows which can be frustrating. Top level management completely obsessed with targets/profits and health & safety so they don’t see a lot of the smaller problems immediately around them - it’s more about box ticking than your actual well being as they claim. Overall not a bad place but could be so much better i.e working every other Saturday is simply too much for the job it is.

Pros

Decent people, pays ok

Cons

Too physical, working Saturdays

The job is good, the company is lacking

The overall job is rather satisfying and there is good support from direct colleagues in the toolhire.we can get new kit when we need it and parts can be ordered freely to make sure the kit is in good order.There is some "us and them", mentality between the materials staff and the toolhire staff but some people are better than others.it is difficult to get support from anyone above branch level and sometimes even the branch manager.The health and safety is good but sometimes it can get in the way of doing the job properly and in some cases has made doing jobs more dangerous due to the amount of ppe needed makes doing certain tasks cumbersome.

Hard Work no reward

Outside in all weather, no heating, no electricity, only got a place to shelter and sit after 4 years of being there, health and safety when needed. Higher management don't care.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Not looked after

Poor

Not a bad company to work for not the best pay is better out there have enjoyed my time at the company. You get good benefits and discounts at Travis and there partners

Shambolic

No organisation at all, management only care about themselves and tell you want you want to hear , Wages are fairly good , nothing else is, unless of course your face fits

Pros

Money

Cons

Everything else except the money

productive /stressful

Travis name , well known but let down by unreachable goals , face fit problems , to many people thinking they are better than you. the health and safety was by far over the top , this caused more accidence within the work place .not a good place to work ,would not recommend , there are far better places to work

Pros

good benefits

Cons

long hours stock takes go well into the evenings lasting some times until midnight, then expected to work normal hours the following day

Not a good experience

I felt that I had been trapped into taking on this job. Ended up on a thirty hour week because of a contract clause and then made redundant three months before my retirement date even though I have cancer. Not the way a caring company should operate.

Pros

Discounts were reasonable

Cons

I felt that all employees worked as individuals, They were detached from the company particularly in a social way, Special birthdays, retirements would come and go but nobody seemed to notice, no fuss made, This was noticeable in the way they worked together.

Good company to work for in general .

Does not matter how much experience you have as a hgv / hiab crane driver. It counts for nothing as new starters with no experience at all can earn more, which I have found in my case. Feel that I'm not being recognised for all the hard work I put in. Apart from that secure job with good health and safety.

Good job. Bad management.

Nor bad job with lost of different functions if you drive forklift. If not it's mainly customer service which is not to bad itself. bigest problem is rude and shouty yard manager. As long he is in charge I don't recommend workin there.

Salary leaves much to be desired

While salary is below much smaller merchants, you’ll also be expected to work from 6:45 - 5:30pm in a management role without a break. It’s a stable job but the pay scale is nonexistent with newer inexperienced staff joining on bigger salaries than current accomplished staff. If your looking for a work life balance I wouldn’t recommend.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Poor pay structure, weekend working

Fast paced good work life balance though

I’ve been at Travis Perkins for over 2 years it’s a decent job. Staff are hit and miss some are really helpful some don’t give you the time of day. The mangers hold the place together. People work in the yard are miserable. Hard work I’m usually flat out all day doing 3-5 runs depending on the loads.

Great place to work with a great safety and service culture, job security and a worklife balance is important as well as operating a fair and friendly model

Pros

Friendly relaxed atmosphere with a fantastic benefits package

Cons

None really

Good place to work , staff very friendly and helpful , always retuned to yard at decent time , as out on road it’s very important that there is someone to talk to when problems arise , some places I have worked it can take a while to get reply ..tp was spot on answering phone to drivers

Pros

Sociable hours

Cons

Great place to work, feels like you are held back.

Initiative constantly changing and not always consistent or relentless.Great place to work, feels like you are held back.Can create a good work life balance but this has to be self driven.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travis Perkins plc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement