Truro and Penwith College

Insights into Truro and Penwith College

What people like
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

A very well organised workplace

I would loved to work for this company for longer if only there were opportunities to work up the career ladder. Everybody held their positions tight and so I had to look elsewhere for opportunities to gain more experiences.

Bad management

The teacher and staff are lovely but the management are horrible and treated me really badly the whole way though There is lots of promises about helping either careers but that's just not the case The wages are okay

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

Bad management

poor management

Not being shown things and generally told to ask other LSA very unprofessional. When start a new job at least show LSA to the students and make introductions

Excellent place of learning & working

Warm welcome, collaborative team working with a culture that focuses on students' success. Supportive culture for mutual success. High standards expected & delivered Good facilities Comfortable working conditions IT alert Always seeking to improve outcomes Open business culture to all Forward thinking Eager to promote local issues & interests No hesitation in recommending as a good employer

Pros

Excellent teaching & support for students

Cons

Education sector sometimes overly bureaucratic

Dependent on role

Day to day as a learning support worker will consist of being assigned a student, then assisting them to,in and from classes. Some the students may have behavioural and learning issues, sen needs, complex care needs or challenging behaviours. The most important thing I learnt from the experience is how to adapt taught lessons to a variety of learning needs. Yes this can be challenging, but the students in your care will be so much more successful if you are willing to be flexible and adaptable in all overall approaches to learning. Workplace cultures - You will find that some staff are highly motivated and some that are there purely for the pay check. This happens in all types of businesses, but trust me you will be to busy focussing on your student needs to notice much of the workplace dynamics in play. However, if you do require support, there are a lot of staff more than willing to provide you with advice and guidance when needed. The hardest part of the job is ensuring safety of your pupils within that 8hr timespan - the most challenging are those with behavioural issues, but if you have a passion for student success, welfare and overall soft skills (compassion, patience, empathy etc) then you will be fine. Just remain focussed at all times - the student is your number one priority and you will soon pick up triggers for behavioural changes, that will enable you to act fast and change a possible negative outcome to a positive one. The most enjoyable part of the job is the organised visits offsite. Always remember to risk assess - this is vital in planning and ensuring -

Nice environment

Its a really nice friendly environment and the work life balance is excellent if you have a young family. Management are very considerate of family life. Really nice team days and training to look forward to. Free courses can be taken advantage of as a big perk.

good

very good place to work and study. excellent staff and resources. Teachers are very helpful and know their subjects very well. always willing to help you out.

Excellent place to work

Working in Education currently is difficult as wages have been largely frozen for 5 (ish) years. The workplace culture is excellent and job security is good. It is certainly a great place to work if you want to influence the great minds of the future and increase the potential for the Southwest. I would advise not to take an apprenticeship role at Truro College and it's rarely leads to progression within the College and is set at the Apprenticeship minimum wage.

Pros

Great location, good extra curricular perks and ok progression

Cons

tied to government initiatives, wages for professionals lower than in industry.

Hard working and fun

Great place to work, very flexible working hours with a great management team. Driven work ethic and continually striving to be the best at all they do.

Pros

Positive

Cons

40 hour

it was a alright work environment

a typical day was i would start by collecting the bins in a certain building and putting new ones in there place after that i put them in a big bin outside.After that i would go in to each room and sweep them and collect the dirt and put it in a different bin after that i would mop the floors and do the tables.

Solid educational environment

Truro and Penwith College is an outstanding college with a diverse learning environment that encourages outstanding results. The college has a low provision for work-based learning and assessors are not consulted in an efficient way when changes are implemented. Within the full time provision the College is very organised and efficient. This was reflected in the Colleges outstanding OFSTED result

Pros

Good CPD

Cons

Limited provision for HE and foundation learning

Excellent Staff and Facilities

Good working atmosphere one of the better adult education facilities rewarding post helping candidates to learn lifelong skills. Very good location in a lovely part of the world.

Pros

excellent facilities

Cons

payscales

Very fun

It was my first time working in a nursery for my college degree. The staff are warm and welcoming, they had 3 different rooms for each different age range and I got to experience each one.

Good

It was an enjoyable job to have over the summer. There is a good support structure in place. The staff were very understanding when I needed time off. The team are easy to talk to.

Great Place to work

A great place to work, excellent working relationships and atmosphere. Management are brilliant and they really listen to their staff. Working here provides many unique experiences, none of my days are the same. I get to meet lots of interesting people, both students and staff. It's fulfilling to play such an active role in a learners experience.

fun workplace

working at spires restaurant and coffee bar was a fun experience there were nice people and it was a good way to earn a bit of cash while going to college full time

Pros

free food

Cons

Didn't have many hours

Fantastic

Best job I've ever had. Very welcoming and caring staff who genuinely wanted to be there. Fun atmosphere and extremely varied work day. Would recommend to anyone

Very helpful college

The college gives lots of support and guidance and makes learning a real joy. I look forward to my lessons and feel really confident in my studies. I find the whole experience very rewarding.

Very commercialised and staff are not well supported by management

The college does not appreciate the good members of staff and has lost so many of the better staff due to it's lack of support and loyalty to them. Staff are not treated with the appreciation that they should be and are not supported well by the senior management team. The feeling amongst staff is that you are just a number and not valued.

Great place to learn and get involved with

The role I am doing is part time but there is lots opportunities to do different things. There is a good balance between this role and my studies on the course I am doing. With this role I have learnt how do improve my time management skills and my communication skills. I have learnt a lot more of what the college does other than providing courses and learning subjects. We work as one big team to promote and mentor but also we can teach each other elements in our own courses and to in-turn, learn about other courses. I feel I can do a lot more, in terms of career paths and everyday life, thanks to what I am learning in this role. The hardest part of the job is wanting to do everything but having to limit yourself but the most enjoyable part is passing on knowledge and information to other people and expanding my knowledge and skills.

Productive and Easy Going Workplace

Working at Truro College was really fun as it was peaceful and although were up against the clock to complete the work there wasnt a mad rush to make sure that everything was tested.

Pros

friendly colleagues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Truro and Penwith College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2