TUI Group

Travel Agent22 reviews
United Kingdom22 reviews

targetconcessionholidayprogressiontravelcentrebookingoverseas

Excellent

Working as an apprentice for TUI has helped me gain confidence in a professional manor. The management is very helpful and always pushing you to your best capability.

Travel agent

Started back in 2018 and absolutely loved it for many years. You get good commission benefits from what you book. You get to put yourself forward to go on work trips to different destinations all over the world. Only left due to Covid and having hours taken off me which was wrong to do so.

Pros

Discount on trips and travel money

Cons

Loss of hours a

Insights into TUI Group

• Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Horrendous management

I loved the work during my time here, but the bullying was constant by colleagues and management. They do not understand health problems at all, especially mental health. My first week of training, they got me to scrub the toilets and kitchen whilst they all sat in the office eating chocolates. The only advantages in this role was making customers happy (not too often as most you had to force to book the holiday, even if they said no cant afford it you had to use 3 attempts to close the sale by saying get a loan or borrow a friends credit card).

Pros

Training opportunities

Cons

Targets, management, bullying, discrimination

Worst experience

I loved my work and my customers, the staff were horrendous, constant bickering and talking behind your back. Really unprofessional, if you are new they really put on you such as go scrub the toilets

Confusing targets, manager was a bully

When you first start at TUI, the training very much revolves around building the perfect holiday for your customer. Listening to them and what they want, and picking out a perfect holiday for them. When you actually work in the shop, all that training flies out the window. You are meant to sell them the expensive holidays, regardless of what they want.There was high pressure to sell extras like insurance and parking at the airport, etc. I sold a cruise to an older lady where she had been offered £50 to insure the cruise for her and her sick husband. and our insurance was over £400. so i told her she'd best compare the two but if the £50 one was just as good, to do that instead. I'm not in the business of ripping off elderly ladies. I was told off by my manager for not trying to push the expensive one. my manager made comments about how I didnt wear enough lipstick or do my hair nice enough and how I had to wear high heels in the store. she made comments about my size. she was regularly really quite nasty to me and singled me out numerous times. she frequently undermined my confidence saying i'd never pass my driving test. I wish I'd filed an official complaint against her, but I was young and shy at the time. once she actually fully yelled at me in the store. i really dreaded coming into work because of her. when the assistant manager was there instead, she was much nicer to work with. she trained me and was approachable. hardest part of the job is trying to sell a holiday to someone when they know they can get it £500 cheaper online. its impossible to get bookings -

Pros

Local, pay was ok, assistant manager was excellent.

Cons

Manager was a bully, prices of holidays in store too high - impossible to sell them

Amazing job

Best company to holiday with and work with. Always look to help employees thrive to be the best they can. Amazing opportunities within the full business

Best place to work

I absolutely love my job and store I work in. The support and help to progress from management and rsm is fantastic. Feels like you are part of a proper little family.

Pros

Management, training, support, co workers

Cons

Part time hours spilt over 5 days, hourly pay

A great experience

With both job roles that I had whilst working at TUI it's fair to say every day is different. I had to use my skills of problem solving, selling, public speaking and even entertainting. I learnt so much from my time with this company therefore I would like to continue providing excellent customer service in my next place of work.

Didn’t enjoy my experience

Good at the start but once you settle in you are forced to make customers book a holiday whether they want to or not, which I found VERY uncomfortable and would always scare customers off. Management always had something negative to say whether you got the sale or not. Wage and commission is shocking for the amount of work you put in. Benefits are good. Workplace is very two faced

productive and fun workpace

The most enjoyable part of the job was always helping the customers. Even when there were no customers in the store you could always learn about the brand.

lack of respect for staff in an ever-changing market

Working overseas was a really exciting and rewarding experience, with chances to progress and actual rewards and recognition, whereas working in the store, staff were expected to work every hour under the sun, but if going past contracted hours, you would have to fight to get any time back, targets keep on raising, commission gets smaller, hours get longer and the pay is not in line with how hard you work. The annual salary is below average, especially for the hours/how hard you work, and the annual pay rise is minuscule. If asking for a pay rise prepare for the offer to be dragged out for 6 weeks then made out as if they are doing you a favour for giving it you, They throw out the offer of advancement training every now and again to try and appease people, but nothing ever comes to fruition. Commission works on a store basis, so no matter how many targets you hit personally, you will get paid pennies unless everyone else hits. But with unrealistic targets it gets harder to hit, especially when your in a competitively priced market. Staff turnover has been high recently, a far cry from when i first started and people worked for the company for a career, where as now people are driven to rival companies for better salaries or to different job opportunities. Company discount is good after a few years, and some of the rewards available to staff are fantastic, such as free nights and discounted holiday extras. Lack of communication between departments is a hindrance as call centres are based in swansea, south africa and india. With an ever growing number of people -

Pros

good discount after a few years service, some quality colleagues

Cons

long hours, under appreciated

Busy and productive workplace

A typical day in work would require me to be in charge of the advice bar, helping customers with any enquiries and taking their details/ assigning them to members of staff. During my time there I have learned a lot about the travel industry, including how to deal with money, how to book holidays, and communication skills. The management within my shop was professional and helpful towards my job role. The work environment was generally positive, and I had a good relationship will every other colleague. The hardest part of the job for me was trying to find transportation on days where there was no trains running. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a laugh with staff members and talking to nice customers.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Transportation

fast pace, fun enviroment

Fun environment to work in. its fast pace environment so you have to be able to multi task as the store is always busy and the phone never stops. you work every weekend

Fun and interesting job

I loved working at TUI and I loved the management team. especially the regional manager. always acknowledged us and praised us. sent on quite a few trainings with free goodies such as Disney dvds and free food! commission wasn't that great but it was an enjoyable job. only thing I didn't like was the location of where I worked.

Pros

good management

Cons

comission

Depends if your face fits!!

Be prepared for long hours and if you have to stay with a customer you never get the time back. The salary does not match the stress that you are put under for targets, jobs and you must follow the rules word for word otherwise you’ll be investigated. The fun part watch what you say to your boss- they might slab you in the back!!

Pros

Only thing free concession off holidays (is it worth it-NOPE)

Cons

Long hours, stress, little pay

Some great perks and chances to progress.

Great place to work if you can work well under certain pressures and towards targets. There are some benefits of travel through work and a concession scheme based on how long you have worked for the company. If you are looking for career progression there are many opportunities and I have always felt fully supported in this.

Pros

Concession scheme

Cons

Salary

Sales targeted

Decent travel benefits Hard targets to meet in current climate Very good travel benefits Customer service driven Hours to fit needs Certain perks Stressfull

Pros

Travel benefits

Cons

Poorly paid

fun workplace

perfect working environment loved it and would go back there at anytime.fun workplace, learned how to become a leader, learned how to interact with other young people and travel the world

unrealistic targets, ridiculous management

Apalling company to work for. As the new girl, I expected to have to do some lackey jobs (getting teas/coffees etc) what I didnt expect was being pressured to ask customers to get into debt in order to get a sale! Targets and expectations of managers ridiculous. Sell a budget trip to malaga but get the customer to pay for extra leg room and you get a big gold star....sell a honeymoon for a couple of grand with no extras added on and its like they would rather you hadnt bothered! Frequently went in to work and got shoved in the brochure stock room ALL DAY but then still collared by manager at the end of my shift kicking off about me not hitting my targets....funny that, when you havent allowed me out front to talk to any customers! Expect A LOT of unpaid overtime if you arent in till close. Stuck it out for a year then had to leave for my sanity's sake... Avoid like the plague!

Pros

better than selling your body

Cons

you are basically selling your soul

Fun workplace

Fun job to work in. Love the customers and the staff, very sales driven so can be hard. And as I've worked there nearly 10 years they trying to make u into a scripted robot.

Good environment

I enjoyed my time at Tui. I started working withing the scheduled airline industry then progressed to team leader then moved into the travel agents

Pros

good pay

Cons

insurance targets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TUI Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement