TUI Group

TUI Group Employee Reviews for Travel Consultant

Travel Consultant28 reviews
United Kingdom28 reviews

targetconcessionholidayprogressiontravelcentrebookingoverseas

Not able to progress - shove you out the way

Was suppose to be a travel advisor was put in the currency exchange and never given a chance to learn about or move onto the floor to make bookings or assist customers. Told off like a child for small mistakes even when training

Poor training no support from management

The training is terrible and there is no support from management, they expect other members of staff to do their job for them whilst they sit in their office and when you ask for help their reply is look it up. Very stressfulJob for average wage.

Insights into TUI Group

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks

Fun place to work with good incentives

Loved my time at tui however opportunities to progress are very rare unless your willing to relocate.Lots of chances to travel to learn about the products on offer.Strict selling targets that at times seem unrealistic.

Pros

Discounted travel

Cons

Poor pay

Very low basic salary, unless you are top seller!

Salary is terrible, if your good at selling then you can top it up considerably with commission but to get a decent wage you need to sell a lot of holidays and extras which makes it very competitive and your other competition is the Internet prices... if you match them then you loose all commission.

Pros

Discount on holidays, good incentives for top seller trips

Cons

Never enough staff so no proper lunch break, Couldn't even go to the toilet as can't leave 1 person alone on shop floor

Used to be good company .

Company changed went from travel agent in hard sell nearly forcing people to book holiday there and then.Management did not want you to spend timed with valued customers.Moto was get the. In booked and get them

Pros

Cons

Expect you to.change days off at.last minute sometimes did not even tell you.

Good

I worked for TUI as a travel advisor, hours was good and so was pay. Great fun with the girls in the shop. No pressure when selling and nice managers ( the ones I’ve met )

Pros

Salary

Enjoyed my time.

Loved the job when finding someone their perfect holiday but did have its downfalls when things didn’t go well for customers, the same as in any job. Quite stressful during busy periods but again the same at any job & if managed then it’s not the end of the world. The pay could be ALOT better considering the company is such a huge company. Made friends for life during my time at TUI.

Pros

Friendly staff. Concession to use on holidays.

Cons

Pay. Commission is poor. Weekend working.

Wouldn’t work here again

For TUI it’s all about the money as it is a sales job. Minimum wage. However, my team were lovely and good management but actual TUI themselves don’t value their staff. 20% of the time - actually booking holidays (the fun part)80% of the rest - selling insurance (awful procedure, very tedious) and added extras, ringing customers to get them to book even if they’ve said no, dealing with complaints, angry customers who can be so rude it’s intimidating. 90% of calls are complaints.Don’t expect free or discounted holidays, this will certainly NOT happen. You can earn incentives but have to work there for years and even then, years of hard work will give you 5% discount off a holiday, so not worth it at all!

Pros

Decent uniform, fun to look at holidays, good training opportunities

Cons

No weekends off, long hours, minimum wage, forcing sales, no perks

excellent workplace

excellent company to work for different tasks everyday very well structured business complaints can sometimes be difficult but the teams work together to solve teamwork

I love my job

I love being able to do something I love, the management are amazing and the team I work with are always helpful we work as one team, we also have team nights out to help us bond

Terrible company to work for

Really bad company to work for. You work your backside off for minimum wage. Targets are always too high to achieve so you rarely ever receive a decent commission. They expect the world from you for minimum wage. You’re expected to sell holidays, and push all other imaginable extras - insurance, excursions, lounges, airport parking etc. Management rarely have a clue what they’re doing.

Overall the two ladies that interviewed me were lovely pleasant and it was them that had decided that the job was mine. The interview it self was so friendly I felt like part of the team straight away, i walked away from there feeling great with the fact that the interviewees were very friendly they laughed a lot.

Pros

incentives, free love2shop gifts cheap holidays sometimes even free holidays.

Cons

long hours, sometimes no lunch

Average work place

Staff were in their own click, didn’t like the younger staff. Management would belittle you to each other in the back when they think you cannot hear then the other side of the worlds thinnest wall Tell you they will train you on certain things but leave you in the foreign exchange without even giving you opportunities to get on the sales floor to see how it all runs

Pros

Discounted holidays

Cons

Too many to list

Avoid at all costs

Worked for TUI for 3 years and the pay was shocking, they wanted you to do more and more but changed the way that commission was calculated from a turnover rating to a per person, then changed it back as it's "what colleagues wanted" - rubbish we earned more when it was per person than based on turnover which is why they changed it back. The benefits didn't make up for the rubbish pay. I had 4 full turn overs of staff including managers, and forget trying to move up unless your "face fits" - won't ever recommend working for them to anyone!!

Very stressful place to work!

Working for Tui was a complete nightmare. At first I very much enjoyed the learning, I still find that to be one of the only pros working for them. Once I started selling I came to realise how challenging and rude customers would be. However I have a fairly thick skin so I got over that. What I did not get on with is the constant pressure they put upon you to sell, upsell, surpass targets etc. Being honest I’m not the best salesperson, i don’t enjoy having to lie to people to get them to buy (which is what you have to be able to do). The fact you have to work for minimum wage and with the most pathetic commission amounts -£1 per £1000 spent! Laughable considering the amount of work you have to do! Half the time you don’t get to spend booking holidays, it’s speng amending holidays, dealing with complaints, being on hold to a cruise company for 4 hours at a time or working in the bureau de change (which was actually my favourite part). I was constantly put down by management for not always hitting my targets, even though some months I was way ahead of every one else! Eventually they tried to push me out and get me to quit, as they knew they couldn’t sack me on the grounds of unfair dismissal. So they moved me to a remote store that was incredibly difficult for me to get to. So their plan worked and I left the company. Leaving was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. So if you’d like a very fast paced, stressful and soul destroying job go for it!

Pros

Discounts on holidays

Cons

Stressful, not enough pay, unrealistic targets

fun and fast paced

I enjoyed working here , my colleagues were nice . There is shift work and weekend work which may not suit everybody . At the time we got discount on holidays for friends and family

Pros

uniform free travel insurance

Cons

weekend and evening work

Great company to work for

Great company to work for, lots perks and benefits! Great development opportunities and managers provide great support if you are looking to progress.

Great company

TUI is a great company to work for they care about their customers and providing an excellent service. They strive to be the best package holiday company. Office environment is great and the people.

Pros

Concessions

Cons

Open plan

Great fellow staff

Support from other advisors is good but you are expected to work over your shift without overtime pay. The products are amazing and easy to sell, flexibility is the key for this company.

Friendly Company

Enjoyed working for TUI but the training could have been better. I was trained on the new systems but unfortunately I was still expected to use the old computer booking system for some aspects of the job.

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible working pattern

Cons

Salary, Targets

Your just a number

Over the years they have taken a hard worker who was well paid (due to commissions) and enjoyed their job and are slowly turning them into an employee who now does the minimum and has no passion for the role. By systemically cutting commissions without increasing salaries long serving staff are left disenchanted and looking for alternative employment. They hold meeting and surveys so staff can have their say yet they do nothing with the information. Concession are the same now as they were 15 years ago yet holiday prices have increased massively. No progress for part time staff. Generally managers are poor and training is mostly basic E learning. If your looking to break into travel are prepped to work through breaks and past finish time with no extra pay then short term it's a foot in the door. If you want a company you can be passionate about it's not here anymore.

Pros

Staff and customers

Cons

Pay vs expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TUI Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement