Turners (Soham) Ltd

Turners (Soham) Ltd Employee Reviews

morale of drivers not good

you were treat like a number,atitude was do as your told or you know where the gate is.management didnt like it if you made suggestions about doing the job they thought they were better than you.

Pros

only worked 4 days a week my choice

Cons

way you was treat

I found it busy, relatively informal and quite friendly

I cant remember if I had to clock on but so long as you got the job done there was no hassle. Most of it was shift work unless you were on fuel tankers then you lived in the cab during the week. Management left you to get on with the work in hand without unnecessary call ups. Generally friendly in the workplace though once out on the road you were by yourself. Can't say there was much to say about the hardest part of the job. I suppose it was early morning starts but you got used to it and being hounded by VOSA. So long as you kept your nose clean they left you alone. Most enjoyable part of the job was freedom away from the depot and out on the road, if that is what you like to do, M25 can be a real pain though, at times it's just a car park!

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, decent vehicles well maintained

Cons

Low pay compared to major firms doing the same work

Very poor wages

Very poor wages at only £10 an hour while it’s september 2021 and most company’s are now paying over £17 an hour now. They don’t care about there drivers they just don’t want to pay any money to there hard working drivers. Drivers are leaving in there droves.

Pros

Clean work

Cons

Terrible basic wage

Very good, they must do more longer breaks and some of the supervisors are disrespectful with their people that do the work. But apart from that I am happy there

Pros

Good money

Cons

Short breaks

Fun different

I got tupe across from another firm. And you think o god not turners the second biggest firm undercutting everybody. But the contracts are good they never pushed me. Got left alone as long as you do the work and smile then your left alone. The money not too bad. I had a good work life balance. Wouldn’t write them off. I only left as they were making some redundancy’s and was putting some of us on weekend work. So i took my redundancy and ran.

Have fun earning £10 per hour!

Depending on depot, the office staff can be either spot on or absolutely clueless and ignorant. The majority of trappers have new trucks, day drivers get old, dirty and very worn out trucks. The pay was recently raised from £9.60 to £10 per hour and overtime is paid at £11.80 when you go over 50 hours per week or 10 hours per shift. Saturday and Sunday rates are comical as well. They are one of the companies that fail to acknowledge that the real reason for the driver shortage is the insulating low pay rates, not that there is a lack of qualified drivers, which means that Turners is a part of the problem along with other greedy companies that are spreading misinformation.

Pros

None so far

Cons

Low pay rates, old fleet of trailers and trucks and long hours, which is good if the rates were higher...but they are not

A relaxed and reasonable company to work for.

I work on the bulk powder division at Turners. Management in our depot are relaxed, flexible, approachable and will do their best to help you in regards to the job, any time off required and getting you hone when you ask to be home. Most of the vehicles/trailers are new and are mid range spec so being away is relatively comfortable. Day to day you are given your job to do and left alone to get on with it. There’s none of this “how long are you going to be or quick as you can” pressure down the phone. Nights out are optional and any “favours” done are always remembered and returned. As far as HGV driving jobs go I’d say this is one of the better and least stressful ones. Pay structure has recently been improved and more is being looked at to improve it further. The take home pay for the area in which we live and are based is pretty much the same as most other firms in this area. They all have different structures but always works out very similar when you compare the final take home figures. I’d recommend working here to anyone who has been a HGV driver previously or is happy to work the long hours required in this industry.

Pros

Good/new vehicles and equipment, Works uniform and PPE, Relaxed atmosphere, Good (and realistic) management team.

Cons

Long hours if you want to maximise your wages, Wage structure isn’t very favourable in regards to holiday pay or quiet weeks.

Equipment ok and maintained. If you have a problem the Driver Trainer is very helpful in solving any issues. Money is ok for what you are expected to do. Overall I am happy to work for Turners.

Pros

Night out money good, Meal allowance

Cons

Vehicles old but serviceable

Shocking

Has to sit on a site esp on a Saturdays to watch trailers when there is no one on site expect your self. Anything happened. No one would know. You get moaned at for leaving hour early the phone hadn’t rang all day. No planning just putting a name to a route same driver did there same route. Management said you get a card to store but never did. Overtime was a day off the week after not when you wanted it. Didn’t look after staff and so much I could say but can’t.

Pros

You could sit and do nothing

Consistent

There’s always something to do. The days fly by due to the nature of the work. It can be stressful, it can be easy, but aren’t all jobs like this? Ok place to work.

Pros

Cons

Atmosphere

Sressful and blamed

Training guys were nice guys..The yard was a nightmare. Tractor Units can be absolutely anywhere! Fueling up is a almighty faffUnpleasant experience on the whole.

Pros

Nope

Cons

Everything really

Tanker driver

Ok company, just do your job, go home back for another day. Have worked for worse haulage companies, decent kit to do the job, anything broken get it fixed for you.

Pros

Was a good job.

Cons

Long hours.

Poor pay. Class1 £9.60 p/h

Wouldn't recommend this company as they pay their drivers very poor pay.For class 1 it's £ 9.60 p/,h.I was promised over a years work.Got let down after the second day.

Pros

Cons

Long hours for little pay

Turners have no respect or interest in drivers.

Sadly the truth with Turners is it looks good on the outside but terrible on the inside. They started to get new trucks so looks good but sadly everything is done on the cheap. They also win contracts by being the cheapest. This means to pay for the New trucks and win cheap contracts the Driver suffers! I.e low wages and lack of support from management. I worked on the fuel side of turners and was shocked at what I was seeing. Turners never once was interested in what was happening or had any interest in me at all. Turners Basically let there customer run the show under there operators licence. We were paid by turners and the truck was owned by turners but they let the customer run them again (cheap as possible) Both company’s then pass on responsibility very Dangerous!! Lots of very grey areas as who is responsible for what. I raised these issues several times but no one would take responsibility at turners.Sadly this is still going on at Turners and Lynx fuels/ Bwoc and it isn’t just Bwoc it’s other cheap contracts aswell. Good luck people!! Documentary to follow👀👀

Pros

Non

Cons

I think above says it all

Busy workplace

They supply the PPE and cold environment gear you need. The warehouse managers and supervisors are on point. The warehouse and office staff are friendly and helpful, though they don't interact much with each other.

Pros

Freindly boisterous staff

Cons

Long hours, cold and loud environment

Bad management, toxic environment

People being shouted by management, forced to do overtimes (that don't get paid extra for using fear tactics that if you don't do overtimes you wont be called in to work next day). Harassment from certain managers. Management closing blind eye on sick people during corona pandemic with lots of people either showing symptoms or being tested positive. No work life balance if you work there. Poor working conditions. Would not recommend working here. Fear culture, toxic environment for low paid work.

Pros

Cons

long hours, forced to work overtimes, toxic environment, bad work life balance

Shocking

Planners have poor planning and the drivers are expected to just get on with it. Drive facilities are non-existent at any yard. State of trucks is poor damaged dirty and old. Drivers are spoken to rudely like they don't matter. Office tries to play brain games with drivers telling them lies. The office speaks to drivers like dirt it’s disgusting. There are other transport companies around which are alot better. dont waste your time at turners. 13hour days for minimum wage. £400 take home 60hour+ week. There are a lot of nationalities that work at turners majority don’t speak English or very little, so no communication between drivers. Best to avoid turners all together but they do take new drivers so my advice is if you have no choice but to go there get in get experience (couple of months) and get out turners are a bottom of the pile transport company to work for. All other companies are a lot better to work for so if you can avoid turners do at all costs.

Pros

Accepts new drivers

Cons

Poorly treated, poor pay, filthy trucks, damaged trucks, no facilities, office speak to you like rubbish, minimum wage

Bad place don't waste your time

Trafford park depot they lying me with bonus money because they know that never ever happens. As well so unpolite, no elegance or class, for main manager and her daughter in law. Staff it's fine. Poor management. Always it's drivers fault. Vehicules in poor conditions. Too much hours for the money they don't appreciate your efforts or any others things.

Cons

Bad people Trafford park manager Director and her daughter in law

Recommendable

Recommendable very good opportunity to experience and learn new things every day. very nice and friendly staff. Turners are very big networking. New trucks

Good place to start

It's a good place to gain some experience with FLT/Reach Truck/PPT. Unfortunately management, colleagues, workload, space and attitude could be much better.

Work place

Lasy people management don’t care always pushing to do more and more no health and safety people always backstabbing and people going for breaks when they shouldn’t and get away this it .

Pros

Hours

Cons

Lazy workers and none caring management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Turners (Soham) Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7