U.S. Air Force

United Kingdom361 reviews

Found 361 reviews matching the searchSee all 28,858 reviews

Insights into U.S. Air Force

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment

Learned a Lot

I wasn't fond of moving every few years so got out after my 4 1/2 years. It's hard to not be able to settle down in one location with your family. .

Pros

Housing

Cons

Relocating Constantly

Being active duty is hit or miss

21 years on active duty. Two different AFSCs. The Air Force has changed and change I think is mostly good and well intended. However, there seems to be a disparity when it comes to treating enlisted and officer personnel. Officers are entrusted with making the decisions and as enlisted we are to support that. However, many officers are terrible leaders and horrible managers. The enlisted seem to always be held to a higher standard and still get paid a lot less than officers. Pay is fine, especially if you have no education and experience. After 20 years I will collect a retirement and will never look back.

Pros

Healthcare, steady paycheck, you will promote to at least E-6 unless you cannot test or commit crimes.

Cons

Officers, work/life balance, moving all the time, deployments

Depends on your career field

I worked in Public health and my experience was great. My husband is in a different career field (aircraft maintenance) and work/life balance is awful, leadership does not care.

It was a fascinating adventure, but I was ready to retire.

You definitely own your promotion for at least the first decade, then it can get competitive. It can be very structured or loose, depends on the career field you work in. Some career fields (security forces) have you doing 13+ hour shifts, while others are 7-5, choose wisely.

Pros

The definitely own your promotion for at least the first decade, then it can get competitive.

Cons

There are things happening in society and government that are spilling into the military, far too many unnecessary trainings.

Location/Job Dependent

I used to have a worse overall perspective of the Air Force. Nonetheless, I am grateful for the experience. Everything is location, job, personality, and mindset dependent. To say the Air Force, as a whole, is negative would be small-minded of me. If you like your AFSC, you may enjoy it more. If you're always a positive person, you may enjoy it more. If you don't like being in -30 degree weather, you may not enjoy some of the bases which can make one feel stuck. Many people enjoyed it, though.

A job

Good career. Benefits are great although there’s not a lot of down time, especially being Security forces. The education benefits are excellent too and fully covered.

Security forces sucks

Don't go into any jobs that are considered essential, like police, fire dept, medical, because you will be forced to work for free a lot of times. You have very little free time.

Low pay but goid benefits

I enjoyed my job as a firefighter but saw plenty of other jobs that were terrible. I suggest finding someone in a career field you are interested in and ask them

Great work environment and quality people!

One of the very few organizations that can offer high-demand training with a guaranteed retirement. I thoroughly enjoyed all my assignment opportunities in the Air Force. I was fortunate to receive a lot of very exclusive and expensive education, as well as unique assignments. This helped me further advance my life after I retired from the Air Force.

Pros

Interesting and challenging work.

Cons

Reassignments to different locations.

Outlook on Goals, accomplishment, and Recognition.

The Air Force gave myself a sense of directions, goals, achievements and the opportunities for anything you desire to accomplish. Everything is there for you...go for it..reach your GOALS...The Air Force does the rest for you....Places to travel, live and work with and on multi-million dollar Air Force Inventory (Equipment) A very very good Branch of Service to serve and or make a career or life experience.

Pros

College tuition assistance, no tax, Chow Hall, Base Exchange, AFB's are a city, within a city.

Cons

No Cons.

Job Security

Typical day in the Air Force depends on your AFSC, if you work maintenance ( Aircraft) you know that you will either be supporting the jets flying or you are going to reconfigure for the next days flying schedule. Hardest part of the job is dealing with outside forces and doing maintenance with low man power. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a diverse group of people from all walks of life.

U I

Working at Raf as an aerospace battle manager. Working in surveillance rather than weapons. Option to work in the space programme looking at satellite operations an early warning ballistic missile systems.

Best branch

The Air Force is the best branch of the military you can join they have limitless opportunities and offer great retirement packages I would highly recommend this branch of service

The military is what it is

As enlisted, the job satisfaction is often out of your control. This is especially true for aircraft maintenance. This has been worsened by the relatively new EPR system, and being outstanding at your job doesn't necessarily translate to promotion. The benefits (GI bill in particular) allow you to complete your obligation and make the best of your particular skillset.

Being an active duty military spouse

This life isn't for the weak of heart. You must be willing to put your needs aside and sacrific alot for you service member and your country. However, I would not change any time I've spent as a military spouse.

Takes a lot of quality time away from family and friends

Be a soldier is Very fulfilling, an gives you great sense of purpose, job security, and self-worth. I wouldn’t change the experience I had in the US Air Force for anything in the world!

It was a great experience

I am glad I had the opportunity to be apart of the USAF. I have acquired many skills and met a lot of great people. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a different avenue in life.

Don’t ever work here

Read above the work culture is toxic leadership doesn’t care about you only their own careers work life balance is horrible as you may deploy or TDY or be in the f@&$ing flight line for 16 hours a day 6 days a week

The mission isn't too bad

The mission is pretty great and gives a real sense of fulfillment. The culture is what kills it. It's become very management out for themselves instead of feeling like a family like it used too. Promoting each other became a thing of the past for a "me first" environment.

professional

As a military organization the U.S. airforce is an amazing place to work and call a home. Extremely professional and cooperative co-workers and leadership.

hard working environment

7:30-4:30 are the hours, however during times of inspections this is not always possible as it is your responsibility to ensured that all self assessments and unit inspections are completed and up to date.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at U.S. Air Force. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement