UK Government - Department for Transport

UK Government - Department for Transport Employee Reviews

Lovely colleaguesGood trainingGood secure jobParking is an issue if you work past 8amJob can be repetitive but also challenging. Good leave allowance
Depends on who your line manager is and if your face fits. BAD line management during a year when exceptions should have been made especially for new employees
Pros
Nice office premises
Cons
Bad communication
I expected so much better from a Government Agency. The interview process was great, and the initial training period was great. The training was suspended for 11 weeks due to COVID-19 however, no fault of the Agency. I returned to socially distanced training, and I passed that. It was when I started on team that the problems began. I had ONE 1-2-1 meeting with my Team Leader between late July and January, which was bizarre and I reported my concerns about the content of the meeting to one of the higher managers. Accusations were made, which I was able to disprove fairly easily.My manager lied about the amount of additional coaching I received during Probation. I received next to no help whatsoever, and was left to fail. My manager passed a load of lies to a ‘Decision Officer’, to determine whether I should pass probation or not. These lies were easily disproved, but this was not looked into further by any higher managers.They failed my probation based on a pack of lies. There was no help from my manager whatsoever. The higher managers didn’t look into any of these issues raised in your appeal properly. They just send a load of pre-populated emails to you, informing you that the original decision stands.I appealed, and appealed, and appealed to no avail.I KNOW it can be a fantastic place to work, with great pay for the role and lots of opportunities to progress etc. I was not given any support, and the managers lied about it. If you have the right manager, I know the opportunities and support is there. My experience was utterly dreadful however.I know, deep down, - more...
Pros
Pay is very good for the role, in Swansea
Cons
Lack of support / assistance from team leaders who lie about things
I worked for this company for over 2 years it caused me nothing but stress and problems. Your working crazy hours for such little wage and get so much abuse at your job. You can earn more money for stacking shelves!
Pros
Cons
Long hours. Terrible pay. Not valued
Being a Driving Instructor in the transport industry is great as you can either work alone or collaboratively. It is highly rewarding to see your students pass and know that you have taught them a skill that will last for a lifetime.
lovely working environment, with some amazing people. Has consent opportunities for development and chances to apply for different roles with in the business
Pros
leave and working hour flexability
Cons
low pay
The DVLA has a misogynistic bullying culture which managers will lie and get rid of people who oppose their way of thinking or if you report an abuse. This unfortunately goes all the way up the chain of command. This is without doubt the worst company I have worked for.
Fast paced, stressful. Difficult to get time off work. Would recommend part time hours for anyone with child care/caring responsibilities. Good pension.
Busy with full program less so when we get a hour off or time given to part timers. Longer working day on Wednesdays to accommodate a hour off mid day for staff briefing etc.
Place utterly terrified me. Could stay there due to looking at the people there and see what a zombie I would become. People there where either utterly miserable or would look at you with a level of disrespect that made you think you where a piece of trash
Pros
Half good pay, I guess
Cons
full of old miserable people. If you seem young and have an actual social life you won’t fit in.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Government - Department for Transport?
Some areas are relaxed. Some managers are relaxed and supportive, I had probably three who were excellent - particularly at times when I needed support - sadly this was not the case across the agency. Some of the newer managers are more like 'bots' than human and are 'to the book'... The culture is varied, depending on where you work, in some roles there was an air of elitism. I also witnessed harassment, bullying and singling people out. Albeit, there were some fantastic, talented, supportive and genuinely lovely people hidden around the place!
Pros: Great pay for the job. Fantastic benefits. Very flexible hours and shifts. Cons: Some of the managers bullied their staff Not at all consistent with decisions concerning staff (Example, some managers won't give you compassionate leave leave following the death of a grandparent, whereas others would offer compassionate leave after the death of a pet hamster!)
Generally a good place to in terms benefits such as sick pay and annual leave. The job itself can be very rewarding to pass a good driver but frustrating when you get a really poor drive that still passes as they don't do anything serious enough and when your in the job you will quickly discover how easy it is for them to pass and almost expected. The job does get boring and repetitive.
The job was sold as a 9-5. I was often putting an alarm on for 4.30am to be in the borders for 7. Management often left early and left the new starts on their own. Favourites were clear. The office atmosphere was toxic and backstabbing was rife. The smallest thing was reported back to management and was used against you rather than being highlighted to you to modify or clarify. This included mistakes expected to be made when learning the job. There was bullying ongoing with some staff and it was expected that policy only applied when management wanted it to. Management seem to thrive on highlighting negatives only. I was glad to leave at the end of probation when I need to take a leave of absence for caring duties
Start at 8:00am, Start testing at 8:10am with a fifteen minute break for report writing between each test.(15min break in morning,) Half hour lunch at 12noon. and continue testing till 15:30pm.Learned a great deal about working with people, worked well with management. A good atmosphere in the office with all my colleagues, we worked well as a team. Hardest part of the job was failing candidates, passing them was the most satisfying.
You are tied to a phone for your entire shift and get timed going to the toilet, to refill your drink or even just to have a break from taking constant calls. If your daily stats are over what they should be you get monitored and made to feel like you're not satisfactory. Some managers are great but there is a lot of favourites between managers and phone agents.
its a lot more involved and complex than the job advert and the job title makes you realise !!! You can be stuck in an office or at the side of the road in all weathers, and it can also depend on your team as to how enjoyable it is.
Pros
I phone and free uniform
Cons
long hours and complex work
a typical place to work but salary is low I learnt more of voice over ip phones and set up a contact centre DVSA offers a lot of training opportutnies for thier staffs
Just don't go there. It seems fine to start, then the pressure starts. Your monitored even going to the toilet. Had enough and just quit, in a lower paying job but much happier
A typical day is very busy. its a well paid job for a call centre but there are a lot of thing you need to learn and adhere to. They try to do engagement but its hard to be engaged on a phone.
Excellent salary, generous time off. My experience working as a driving examiner was shocking. Lying management, bullied. If your face fits great, if it doesn't then walk away.
Pros
Working hours and annual leave.
Cons
Bullying culture