UK Government - Home Office

UK Government - Home Office Employee Reviews

Really interesting work and most high profile work I have been involved with. There is a purpose to the work which sadly gets lost sometimes with poor management and the political will of the government of the day.
Not always a great place as either you are liked or disliked. If you fit in you can go places. They treat people differently and some are happy to stab you in the back. Stressful at times with changes and line management. It can be difficult to get promotion as the process of application and interview does not guarantee the post. You are rated and if only one post is available and filled. Even if you were successful at interview stage you are on a merit list. If not selected you remain on list till next opportunity. However the merit list expires after a period and you need to reapply for any jobs . This is a stressful process and can be deflating when you put a lit of effort only to find you are on a merit list..
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Lots to take in and learn. Constant changes
Incompetant management in a job that has no work life balance and is full of bullying and intimidation by management. No clear strategy and hard work is not rewarded in the slightest. Wasted 18 years of my life in this department its a total disgrace.
Plenty of work to do, training and progression. I didnt have confidence, but my advise is go for it!Managers motivate. Staff lovely and there is lot of support. Seek it, volunteer to do extra stuff like union, carers group and contact officer this goes well for you.
Pros
Plenty of money to earn, you will get plenty opportunities, take them!
Cons
Bit stressfull and figures always accountable.
Great place to work, supportive management and staff alike. Good terms and conditions, great team of people to work with, promotion opportunities for all.
UKVI was a great place to work. Challenging, supportive and lively with a good mix of colleagues and a good work life balance. I'd recommend it to anyone.
The home office as an amazing experience however, due to immigration laws many changes happened and I no longer wanted to work there. Overall it's a good place to work
24/7 roster, with a current shift length of 12 hours. The ability to work as part of a team is essential. Extensive Customs and immigration training in the first 12 months, meaning a lot of time away from home during this period. Good lT skills vital as many different Home Office systems to learn. The work is varied on the port, dealing with foot passengers, cars and freight vehicles, looking for prohibited goods and immigration offenders. The best part of the job is the camaraderie and support from colleagues.
Absolutely horrible people I worked under who dislike any form of challenging them and their terrible work practices. It’s a job that where thinking outside the box is punished even if you’re following the relevant guidance.
We all work towards a high standard by providing a level of service, along with support, consistency and urgency. The staff and managers all work well together and are focused at delivering at pace in a safe and friendly environment.
Pros
Flexible hours
The Home Office plays a vital and important role in the safety and security of UK nationals and those non UK nationals seeking asylum in the UK. The work was challenging and the work ethic was committed to delivering the best possible results in changing the service to meet future needs.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Complex environment
so much red tape that nothing got done ...the team was amazing the inner office environment was great however trying to get any resources was near impossible and took far too long
Busy work schedule Many skills in assessing info. Productive Speedy environment Tensions in meeting targets Colleagues, breaks and working flexibility
Probably wouldn't recommend, the conditions are becoming increasingly worse. Pay decreasing, poor pension, no benefits. Shifts not good for your health.
good for Flexi time but they do not put the employees first and you will not go up in the office unless you're in with the correct people. you will need to apply outside and not internal.
Normally a 9 to 5 however with flexible work hours. I have gained a lot of experience working with MS systems and have had opportunities to manage my team, while the team leader is away. Learning new systems and procedures can be challenging, however, the people I work with make it an enjoyable experience.
Started of good but soon changed as we were brought in to cover no deal brexit so as soon as that was off the table we were let go only 4 days notice given
Compared to my private sector experience, senior management expected considerable performance and results, in impossible circumstances, with little or no support. Senior managers were all about protecting themselves from any failures.
Pros
Great pensions in the beginning
Cons
Long hours, stressful with lots of impossible deadlines
The hardest part was facing up to 10 hour shifts from 04:30 am on a cold morning at the Tug Haven; and the best, relief when we safely landed & processed nearly hypothermic migrants. There were times when an emergency, migrant arrivals, a big excise job, an Icelandic volcano eruption, very bad weather or a fire in the tunnel would have a negative impact on the work-life balance, but the team was always supportive and our management quite willing to work alongside us if needed. My last management team were proactive, inclusive, knew the strengths & weaknesses of the team and always acknowledged work well done, in response we would always 'go the extra mile'. Coming from legacy Immigration, a somewhat solitary position, my training as a Customs Officer taught me the value of team work, and this became one of the most enjoyable aspects of the job and I made some good friends in an often stressed and uncomfortable environment. The strict legal guidelines they had to adhere to imposed the need for clear and concise reporting. GAGM became THE team to be on, with a high profile, much media interest, little or no restraints on equipment resources and 'glossy' equipment like drones, RHIBs, 4 wheel drive vehicles and surveillance and night vision gear. This could and did cause some comments from other staff but the GAGM team members were close, worked well together and were 'there' for each other without question.
I enjoy my role at home office, it offers flexy time which allows me to fit in other hobbies and volunteering roles along side. I am happy with my role here and would like to progress we’re possible.
Provide training, good for starting point for a graduate, wage on low side but good job security, good work life balance. IT poor as most government agencies, building facilities vary from good to very basic.