UK Government - House of Commons

UK Government - House of Commons Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom46 reviews

adviser

brilliant staff and co workers always there to help etc and plenty of scope to better my role in the company they really enjoyed my role with tham and constantly gave me apraisals to all people in the group

Pros

brill place

Cons

long travel

Insecure position, facing the wrath of the public with no back-up

Half-hour lunch breaks when working full days, top-down style of management. Very long days, relentless at times with very little positive interactions to lift the grind.Typical day is full-on, worse when political turmoil or anything 'big' happens. If MP says the wrong thing in the press, your weeks will be filled with angry members of public. Public tend to use staff to rant at, or as a proxy for those who they feel have wronged them. The office I worked in had more managers than underlings, micromanaging was rampant. No HR you can really turn to as everything dealt with in office. No scope for progression unless you have the right accent/background, and even then you'd likely have to leave and work with a charity as people feel entitled and horde power. Very little back-up when threatened, or if dealing with very angry or mentally unwell people. MP's can lose their position due to GE's or their own mistakes, position is never fully secure. Have to wing it when you first start, training was sporadic, there was lots of "oh, we should have told you about that". Dealing with suicidal and threatening people without having been prepared.Work is thankless task after thankless task. Repetitive, upsetting at times when people's lives are being torn apart by policy.Interacting with the various failing govt departments was a depressing and regular task.Work-life balance is not something that is seriously valued, you should at all times be dealing with work, and your family or home life should just take second place. Research the place you intend to work, if the boss has had -

Pros

Wages

Cons

Long hours, no let-up, neverending tasks, no actual support

Unfair practices and favouritism

The HoC has some good people working there but, sadly, the senior management were underhand, untrustworthy and not good role models. They don't adhere to their own rules and - if challenged - are bullies.It guarantees that really good, capable people, with ambition and enthusiasm, don't hang about for too long. The deadwood stays until retirement!!!

Pros

It's a handy name to have on your CV

Cons

Dreadful senior managers that destroy morale

N/a

Nothing much to add, the whole place is needing a total renovation urgently. I was astonished by the low standards of their kitchens and how old the whole place has been kept over the years,uncared-for.

A challenging but stimulating workplace.

Be prepared and proactive. Parliament is an ever-changing, fast-paced environment, you must prepare for every eventuality meticulously. You must be hard working, enthusiastic and remain calm in high pressured situations.

Poor working conditions

Working conditions are extremely poor and the pressure is immense. Management isn't great and your customers are also your employer so basically what they want they get.

Fast-paced and interesting

A typical day would be extremely busy owing to constituent phone calls, liaising with government bodies and attempting to find the best possible resolution to each case. I learned a tremendous amount while working here and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Interesting and fun

The way you feel about the job depends very much on the MP you work for and the colleagues you share an office with (the offices are often quite small!) However, it's an interesting environment and there is always scope for networking, if you wish to create new job opportunities.

Catering in House of commons

Good, clean, organised workplace with professional Environment. Staff patient and helpful towards new employees, and open to adjusting for their needs.

Productive and reputable workplace

i had the time of my life at this place, all the co-workers were extremely friendly and welcoming when i started,

Pros

free lunches

Cons

long wait to enter the house of commons

not for everyone

Long hours, very stressful, not really well payed, too many minimum hours contracts. The management will stress you more than the customers. Same customers every day, after a while it is easy to get boring

-Friendly staff -Opportunity to progress -Work independently when needed -Support from colleagues -Chance to use initiative -Interesting place to work

Productive place to work

Working here has been a particularly great experience. You are able to learn so much and gain a vast amount of knowledge and insight. I would recommend working here to anybody.

Make a real difference

Working at the Palace of Westminster is an experience in itself. It's a community with it's own florist, hairdresser, etc. A closed bubble. You'll see household names every day, popping to the canteen to get a coffee or a sticky bun. A very hectic environment with no two days the same.

Pros

subsidised food

Cons

Pressure

House of Commons

Working as a researcher gives great insight into how government works, and a good understanding of constituents' concerns and priorities on the ground.

very productive

As a student at the university, this was the first roper office job I ever had. The hardest part of the job was trying to get use to following instructions at first.

Great place to work experience and learn how the parliament works. And be a part of day to day operations of the palace and interact with visitors to promote work of the parliament.

Productive safe/fun working environment

Before my placement, I felt like I was going to not fit in with the people that work there because I did not have any form of interview before my placement. This made me quite worried for the reason that I had not met anyone that works within this organisation and I felt like there was going to be no one of my race within the working environment as it came across as quite a prestigious region of work, well from my point of view anyways. This however was not the case, I felt quite relaxed after seeing the many different type of races that work in this department. I felt very welcomed as a work experience student. My general tasks involved answering phone calls and filing. on the last 3 days however I worked at the constituency office, doing data inputting which I really enjoyed because i enjoy IT and mathematics.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

N/a

Amazing

One of the most insightful highlights of my life. An amazing culture and environment. I would do it all over again if I had the choice. Very great at supplementing your education.

Good

Worked with local MP on a one week work experience placement. Learnt a lot about political processes and the workings of the MPs staff and of overall governance.

A new beginning.....

Unfortunately the House of Commons are struggling to control a workforce made up of disgruntled ex-police staff who have been forcibly ejected from their chosen employer. Because of harsh HR rules and the application of them staff morale has plummeted and has given rise to an over-active staff union. Unfortunately they are unwilling to negotiate or bargain which has resulted in a very hostile environment for junior/middle managers.

Pros

Beautiful buildings

Cons

Terrible shift pattern

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Government - House of Commons. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement