UK Government - Intellectual Property Office

UK Government - Intellectual Property Office Employee Reviews

Started as a temp, the work is simple enough, most people are nice and welcoming. Management is non existent, so rely on your colleagues for help! Hard to get a permanent position there. My work ethic is higher than that of a government office, so i found it hard to not be as busy or work as hard! If people arent chatting or taking breaks regularly, there wouldn't be enough work to go round. The flexitime is great though! Dress code is crazy though, i still dress smartly, but some people turn up in jeans and trainers.
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Not very efficient and management are non existent
The place reminded me of a type of Euro Disney environment. No real meaningful work at lost of money wasted on in-house projects that usually fail. You can have intelligence and a hard work ethic however unless you have friends and family in the right places the chance of promotion are very slim. The place promotes diversity yet lots of people are hypocritical to this notion.
Pros
Work life balance is fine
Cons
Nasty culture unless your in the click
As a patent examiner you choose when you work, and each piece of work is unique and self-contained, this is one of the best jobs you could hope for in terms of work life balance. Very friendly culture, excellent opportunities for self-development.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience here. It is easy to get it as agency staff but hard to become permanent. But they treat agency staff the same as everyone else.
Pros
Flexible hours, chilled out managers, civil service benefits, employee engagement programs
Cons
Hard to progress, hard to get employed, difficult to move around
after 40 days of being in the office still the management did not have a clue hat was my duties. I had to chase the project manager to beg for new tasks
Pros
good restaurant, friendly soworkers
Very relaxed workplace with a lot of benefits. The problem is that the job in itself if incredibly dull, but there is flexi time. The work environment can also be very monotonous at times.
- too many under-qualified staff given too much responsibility - many of the staff wouldnt last 5 minutes in the private sector - hubris of management is astonishing - low pay - epidemic level of politics and clandestine meetings - too much family nepotism - treatment of temporary employees is disgusting
the hardest part of the job is there is not many of us so if someone is off and sick the work load is to much.and management could do a better job of avoiding this problem.
Pros
its secure job
Cons
management
I work there for an specific project and management, objectives and work environment is very good. Salary is competitive. Co-workers were supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was to carrying out research and drafting.
I learnt many key skills throughout this placement as I visited so many departments. My co-workers helped me understand every tasks as I changed departments so many times I had to learn quickly.
Pros
Friendly workplace
Cons
I enjoyed my tenure at the IPO on the whole I feel I gained new skills. The job as a Print Room Operative was challenging due to the demands of meeting targets. However I enjoyed working to tight deadlines. My fellow co-workers were a good bunch as were the management. As I stated previously I both developed and honed new skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and exceeding targets. Turning around projects quickly for my fellow workers in the IPO. The hardest part was dealing with the numerous breakdowns with machinery. Which made the job that little more difficult. However this was nothing that wasn't insurmountable. A typical day at work would consist of deciding what work took precedent then as an individual or a member of a team. Completing said work for the client this would involve printing, the collation and finally the despatch of work. Either to internal or external customers. Again as an Administration Assistant I enjoyed good work relations with my fellow employees. The job was a little slower paced than my previous role as I only had one months work I didn't benefit as much in times of development. However I feel that I worked well within the team. Most of the systems were in house and I felt I had a good understanding of these. Flexi- time was greatly appreciated the only drawback was that I covering holidays and maternity leave. So as a consequence I didn't fully realise my potential.
Pros
Decent salary good hours and overtime
Cons
Agency work no job security
Great company, very diverse and complex work, but it was good to see a large company who took the time to invest in its staff and build in-house capability. Management structure is very supportive and encourages staff to develop and build n their skills. Most enjoyable part of working at the IPO was the fact they trusted me and allowed me the scope to develop my skills by allowing me to work on a small software project.
Pros
Management supportive of staff