UK Atomic Energy Authority

UK Atomic Energy Authority Employee Reviews

United Kingdom10 reviews

Excellent place

Highly recommend, innovative and challenging. Good benefits and lots of holidays. Lots of very intelligent people to learn from, very collaborative atmosphere

The Benefits outweigh the negative

The research here is amazing, and the people are equally so. Some culture issues since the pandemic caused home working - the leadership appear to be forcing a full return to a 5 day on-site week, which must people are against for obvious reasons. That said, I love my team, my job and my department and the investment in things like professional registration, further education and progression is amazing.

Great emomoyer

I've really enjoyed working with UKAEA, even as an ASW I feel supported and valued.It's the longer I've stayed in a role.for over a decade, totally through choose...

Fantastic Place to Work

Staff are very intelligent and people to learn from. Line manager is an exemplary leader and manager with a people first approach. UKAEA are doing amazing things that will eventually help the world

Pros

Team

Cons

Nil

Too much 'blame game' going on.

Everybody from top to bottom were worried about their position, blaming someone else for the hold up. Very clicky, if someone didn't like you, they force you out. I worked at RACE, it was not a very nice place to work.

UKAEA is a cool place to work

I learned a lot from my job at UKAEA in system design, project management and general teamwork. The work is challenging, but the company is working towards sustainable nuclear fusion, which is a noble and exciting goal.

Relaxed and safe

Public sector. Slow-paced projects combined with a rigid hierarchical structure. Job security is great as well as benefits and working conditions. Plenty of Holidays and great pension scheme. Difficult to promote.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Promotion is challenging

Good work/life balance, but generally poor management

UKAEA is trying to improve its management with new talented people coming in at the board level. However it is like turning around a supertanker and middle management is generally poor. This is because most managers have very little idea of what good looks like in managing people and there are far too many of them for the size of the organisation. Also there is a wide acceptance of failure to deliver being normal. Many senior manager keep on making the same mistakes and don't seem to learn the most basic lessons.

Laid back working environment but...

There are some newbies that are coming into the organisation with high hopes and expectations and a lot of drive to change the culture and work frame of the UKAEA in Culham. The Quality infrastructure in the company has been eroded until it's nearly falling apart. Managers and staff think Quality is of no value to an organisation that burns through well over £100 M in government grants and funding per year. No monitors or metrics of value, no understanding of basic quality assurance, controls, processing and interaction between quality and the organisation. The attitude to spending money is absolutely awful, willing to spend money for short term fix on multiple occasions instead of completing true root cause analysis and prevention. There is always a sense of fire fighting instead of fire fighting. The majority of managers have a bottom up approach to management which means there's is a lack of clarity for work to be complete. There is a culture of non-delivering whereby nothing is delivered on time, on cost and of high quality. If you are a contractor that is specialised, a usual tactic is for managers to bully contractors into becoming permanent staff. The culture towards contractors vary from person to person, where some are overly harsh to contractors because they are contractors and others just treat you like anyone else. The hardest part of the job is going into a room full of level 6 plus (managers) and explaining why the method employed may not be the most effective and efficient, just to be told because of time constraints, cutting corners or quick fixes are most -

Ukaea- high security site

Very high security, so this process never changed on day to day basis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Atomic Energy Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement