UK Landscapes

UK Landscapes Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom19 reviews

hourdaycompanymanagementjobworkteamtime

Life at UKL part 3

A typical day starts by signing in to the iPad and if you're a team leader you have to collect your 2nd operative on your way to the site. Once your on-site you can then sign into a job and your 9 hour day starts even if you have already driven 45 mins. You have to complete the jobs allocated for that day, So regardless if you have 140 acres of grass to cut you have to stop and weed spray or taken off for an emergency job of clearance or attend to litter picking for the day.UK Landscapes operates a winter program and summer program. Your contracted hours are 40 hours a week, but this is increased in the summer to 45, 5 hours are "banked" so in the winter months you will do shorter hours as your wages are propped up by the hours you saved during the summer. This in theory works but it only works when you can maintain staff numbers, others wise you have people on different banked hours because they haven't saved enough to account for winter months.Grass on my site took over a month to complete.Most teams are made up of two operatives and if you're static to a site then you may be with a team up to 4 or 5 but that's very rare as a team of 2 was told to look after a 140-acre site with limited tools that regularly broke down Once you completed your 9 hours on-site you can leave but you must drop off your second operative before you go home. You're also tasked with looking for near misses, which means looking for potential hazards that could lead to an accident but even when reported they are never addressed. It has since increased to 2 near misses a week must be done -

Pros

Weekly wage, start when you want as long as you do 9 hours, paid lunch.

Cons

poorly managed, understaffed, unsupportive to name a few.

Great

Was a great place to work and the staff and management was great I only left due to the distance but the job was great and the people was great to

Insights into UK Landscapes

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things

Awful

Awful place to work! I felt like I was bullied out of the company. If you weren’t mean and moaned about each other you weren’t included. The salary was poor and the progression was impossible.

Poor poor poor

Working out of head office where the management have no clue. Being charged and deducted from your wage for everything. Constantly checking van trackers to check on you an absolute joke of a company.

Total shambles

Just absolute shambles poor management that will make you pay for everything lost stolen or broken into. Also charge you and work mate around £80 per week for having van at home and being a mobile team

Worst company

Really rubbish company to work for promised a job and then didn't happen.. They only keep you for the season then send you on your way...Unless your best mates with someone in management you won't get the job Avoid at all costs I'd rather work in a sewer then recommend anyone to work here

Pros

Cons

Dont bother

Don't do it!

My round was changed at the beginning of lock down by the management, from approx 40 sites a month to the best part of 70 to 80 a month.from London to Norfolk,I was supposed to have had a 3 man team. But due to Clovis I was by myself for two months. And no real back up, tools always breaking down. Some days more driving than work. Don't really mind being tracked, got nothing to hide. But I still got the push as far as I see it that I didn't do 3 people's work while in a pandemic. Local manager likes sacking people (?) Company just doing the BS, ISO Paperwork thing and not doing the job right. BS is about right.

Pros

Don't

Cons

Don't

Worse place to work

Your discrimintated against if you dont drive. No correct tools for the jobs. Cannot organise your days work. No communication from the top. Favourtism towards workers.

Rubbish

Job to many jobs to do in 1 month 45 minutes taken off pay in morning 45 minutes taken off pay at the end of the day. Add the 45 minutes for a week and you can see you only get paid for 4 days a week.

Pros

Van

Cons

Job

Life at UKL

The managers are a joke. They lay most of the staff off in the winter months when there not as busy. Start at 5 in the morning & usually finish around 5 in the evening.

ok

My work colleague picks me up at 7 am outside my house. We would have 3 or 4 sites to attend in the height of the spring /summer. hedges and grass to cut and clear up. I have learned a lot more of the areas around Norwich as well as seeing other places further afield. hardest part of the job would be the communication and decision making between colleague. most enjoyable job is removing dead and unwanted shrubs thinning and tidying the flower beds lifting lower branches .

Work 53 hours only paid 43 walk out with 294

Thay take hour and half a day off you for travel even if you go 5 mins up the road then another 3 hours per week so you are contacted for 48 hours but you never can get that as thay take it off you different rules for other people about the travel time as there going out with a high member off staff pay is rubbish company Carnot organise a team you have to do it you’re self Try and claim as much as thay can off you don’t pay for over time I got told to drop my standards as there to high Don’t join

Pros

Cons

Take 7.5 hours a week off you

Past employee

This is one company to avoid like the plague they are untrustworthy in more than one way There is a supervisor who is aggressive towards staff rude ,never get hold of him in an emergency They pile on the work for the pittance they pay you when you leave they take back as much money as they can They make the rules up as they go along If you want a month here then good luck as you will need it

Pros

Cons

Long hours, hold back pay, wages are bad as well as, management

High pressure but some times pleasent

Early starts to travel around the UK. daily vehicle checks and fuel checks, carry hazardous chemicals and mixers. Wear Full PPE and Boots. Visit Large major companies , signing with customer and head office, grounds checks, Risk assessments, health & safety , use variety of lawn mowers and gardening machines, strimmers hedge cutters. weeding and spraying. de littering of supermarkets grounds and waste management. Hardest part of the job is getting management to work with you on matters. and issues as they arise. good set of lads you work with. But some lazy ones as well. As supervisor I take care of all aspects of the job and who travels where. I keep a happy environment so lads and lasses work equally and timely. Health & Safety First at all times. complete paper work, lease with management / senior managers. get signatures and sign off site. keep grounds and working areas clean and safe,. after jobs done.

Pros

Full fuel vehicles. paid weekly

Cons

long hours, and very picky managers @ super markets. not much back up from you managers .

Some good points good stop gap or for experience

overall not a bad company to work for all stihl machines new vans and generally steady days work never too hard pushed. only real downside for me was the long hours average day being picked up about 5am and getting home at 5pm some days working 14/15 hour shifts (this depends mostly on your team leader but even the basic 48 hours a week is long for some). Not great wages for the hours average walk away with 350-400 after tax but you will be doing around 50-55 hours a week for that.Good group of lads on the most part odd bad egg but again its all down to your team leader how things run as it will be you and one or two other men.If your taken on seasonal it will be seasonal you'll need to be very lucky to be kept on full time even if your competent it would need to be the company win a large contract and need you but its a long shot. Worth it for young guys looking for experience or for someone to get away from signing on.

Pros

laid back work

Cons

A typical day within the work of UKL requires rotating shifts amongst the numerous contracts, in which involves working with numerous of the UK's largest retailers. Despite the varied and often complex organising (between numerous vans, stores, chains and managers) the weekly rota's are dispatched the week before offering time for individuals to organise their work days. The hardest part of the job are the long hours, working minimum of 48 hours a week (seasonal doing university work also) was tasking however it was not long before I adjusted. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility, the sites differing daily meant the jobs were never repetitive and made the time spent in work go quickly. This was the first manual labour job partaken by myself and despite always preferring a job in the offices the friendly people and positive work environment made the job (strimming, pruning, weeding) enjoyable.

Pros

Flexible hours, available overtime.

Good Place To Work Skills Gained

grass cutting, hedge trimming, using ride on lawn mowers, paid well, and only reason i left was due to it being seasonal i was laid off,

very productive

I was part of a team that looked after the asda sites around the uk.

See CV

This hands on team leader role required the organization and management of a team of three landscape maintenance gardeners to ensure that the maintenance and servicing of 27 large industrial sites was completed to a high standard and on time. The role required excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to both motivate the team and liaise with clients to ensure their needs were met. Creativity, the ability to interpret design site diagrams and a good knowledge of plants and trees were both essential to ensure the best results were obtained for the clients. As well as excellent organization skills and the ability to stay calm under pressure in order to meet deadlines and ensure every clients needs were met.

Pros

see cv

Cons

see cv

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UK Landscapes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare UK Landscapes with

Learn about UK Landscapes in popular locations

• UK Landscapes
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?