UK Ministry of Defence

UK Ministry of Defence Employee Reviews

No two day is the same. You are given the reigns to develop independence and manage own work load (especially as a Senior rating). The military builds a robust, well rounded individual, ready to take on life's challenges.
slow paced environment working well behind in terms of time, great handskills throughout however lacks investment in basic equipment too keep up with new companies and no respect for employees under management and possibly the worst management i have ever worked with
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
no communication, bad management
Ultimately it did not live up the expectations I was expecting. I was not given the chances and experiences offered to me at the time of joining. I felt uncomfortable in my last year of working as I feel they didn't want me, I wasn't allowed to go on any exercises or trips due to me leaving.
Hi there yes iam an Ex-Civil Servant Motor Transport Driver as I retired last November yes I really enjoyed my Driving job as I have done and iam not kidding you that I say I have driven hundreds of times to Gatwick and Heathrow Airports collecting and dropping off fire Fighters personal over the years that I have been doing this job, then when iam not driving I am washing the vehicle that I used okay.
Pros
Small group of people to work with all get on well with each other, the line manager a good and easy going person.
A huge learning curve at first but there were so many helpful colleagues, it was quite easy to join to team. Very fast paced, working simultaneously on several high value and complex projects. Lots of responsibility in leadership and decision making but this was the challenge I was looking for and I love the job.
Pros
Friendly colleagues; challenging work;high value, complex projects
Cons
Lots of process and bureaucracy
One of my best and favourite jobs. If you like travelling and having a good time then give it a go. I'm. Not saying its easy but after completing your basic training and then placement at your unit it's great. You learn new skills and promotion and you make friends. It's not for everyone but I would highly recommend for school levers who are not sure what path they want in life.
Pros
Good pay. Good Times and you get to travel.
Cons
Tour of duties overseas. Long periods away up to 8 months.
You need to invest in the process/system. It doesn't fit all. If you are of the right calibre it will help you grow in so many realms. It will provide education, training in your chosen field of expertise and in others, promotion, diversification and great team building events all the while boosting confidence in your ability (NB-whilst remaining grounded). Your professional competence will grow as a result. The biggest gain is the ability to function as a part of a team - true team spirit. No room for individuals, however, it will help you achieve individual goals and aspirations as the coaching and mentoring (through said team ethos) is exemplary.
Due to the work ethic, their is no push to improve the standards or level of output. Management are poor and very narrow minded, blinkered to development of all
Pros
Cons
poor management
The challenges I have in my health today is caused by fellow soldiers who does nothing but bullies and discrimination against people they feel are better than them. Institutionalised racism is imbedded into the culture. You have no equal opportunities. Even when you go to court you can never win, so it's best to have your life and sanity at hand than joining. I recommend you go for a cleaning job than join the British army.
I review company’s ways of working and suggest improvements, including how to make full use of new digital technologies. Learn new procedures and help colleagues to do the same. Query any issues that arise from changes in a suitable way. Respond in an effective and appropriate manner when emergencies arise.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at UK Ministry of Defence?
It has been a privilege and an honour to be a Civil Servant over the last 6 years. My time working on Blandford Camp has been enjoyable and rewarding.
Definite bullying culture. Many ex-military officers raking in £££££s while underperforming. When challenged or when looking at 'change', you are met with downright bullying and huge ego. Higher management like to ignore this and brush it under the carpet. An external audit is required of many MOD / Army bases where harassment and bullying is rife.
Good opportunity to advance your educational qualifications paid for by the Ministry of Defence.. Other opportunities to specialise in other areas like Coaching and Mentoring and carrying out assessments on fellow instructors, so great opportunity for Continued Personal Development
Dismissed for gross misconduct on flexi time which was not true. My work was not an issue. I drove an old VW and when I changed my cars my corridor greetings stopped and i got sarcasm and envious comments from friends and staff. My line manager was not very happy with me and had planned my dismissal which I could not prove
During the 31 years working for the MOD, vast amount of knowledge and experience was gained, whilst building networks, working as a team, and obtaining trust within the business and across the UK MOD had its rewards and achievements in delivery. Sadly with all the UK government recent changes, where the MOD were instructed to selling off its sites to commercial companies, work practices and processes changed and reduction in resource was applied. Sadly lots of experience and knowledge were made redundant.
OK, so I enjoyed my time there and loved my job. I was stretched, learned new skills, challenged and I got to make a difference. But, the moment I lost my temper with a manager who had been passively agreesively bullying me and harrassing me, and swore at her, I was fired for "gross misconduct". My bullying and harrassment acusation was conveniently lost and my mitigating circumstances dismissed off hand at appeal. You see, if you are entering the MOD at anything below D-band, get ready for a rough ride. In particular, as an industrial, the minute you question a manager's decision, you are in the firing line. You have to shut up and put up and the culture of "me first" and the sycophantic ways operated at management level and higher up in the management chain puts anybody below D-band into a "minion" category. There is no respect, humanity or understanding from the higher ups. They just don't care about you. Ignorance and arrogance is rife at the upper levels and they positively do not give a toss about anyone but themselves. I challenge any former employee to prove me wrong. And if you have any military in your management chain, pray that they like you because the green vs yellow clique that the MOD has cultivated at various camps - my experience at Kineton - will put you on the back foot the minute you try and make a difference or question the status quo. The work atmosphere is casual in many ways and relaxed IF you surround yourself with the like minded. But be frugal with your trust as the knives are always out and NEVER trust the management because my experience, they - more...
would not recommend. Bad environment for new field staff - very clicky. poor salary's with massive work areas. no real benefits other than pension. Multiple hire cars from the offset.
The MOD is a strange organisation to get used to. Lots of equipment, lots of policies, lots of processes, lots of abbreviations and lingo. The first few months are a challenge but eventually it gets easier and you realise the world is at your feet. Promotion. Other jobs. Other bosses. Interesting colleagues. But if you are keen then there is nothing to hold you back. The vetting takes a while but it is worth it.
Working for mod requires everything from security minded, attention to detail, professionalism and being able to fit in with all walks of life. Working with both civilian and service personnel.
Typically a day in the life of a Commercial Manager was a busy mix of negotiating and placing contract amendments, staff management and stakeholder engagement It is what you make it basically, it can be driven and frenetic or it can be relaxed You will get to work with a huge variety of people, both military and civilian, across all ranks/levels The hardest part of the job is managing to stay on top of the large amount of mandated training alongside your full-time work The most enjoyable is the camaraderie amongst teams, especially with the military personnel. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement/promotion and you can even switch disciplines across Project Management, Commercial, Finance, Logistics Management and many more. Although there is no official dress code it's a good idea to go to any interview "suited and booted" Some teams are much more relaxed about office attire but there are still one or two team leaders who frown upon anything less than trousers, shirt & tie, unless it's "casual Friday"!
The work is varied, some days long and hectic and others are less busy. The organisation is improving from a previously reactive organisation to a proactive and efficient one.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Staircases in the buildings are lethal