UKRI

UKRI Employee Reviews

Interesting and inciteful

Having never worked in the public sector prior to this role I was ensure what to expect but knew I had very transferable skills, from day 1 I understood that it would be so much different to what I was used to but I enjoyed speaking and working with all different areas to understand the end to end flow of a grant application. Everyone was very knowledgeable and welcomed change which was a breath of fresh air. The hardest art was as it was only a 6 month contract was not enough time to fully understand the processes and then not being able to fully embed the framework I would of liked.

Arrogant and incompetent leaders ruining the place.

It defies belief some of the stuff that goes on.It’s gone down hill fast and in desperate need of a shake up. It's a real shame how bad it has got. Weak, incompetent, manipulative, and unethical behaviours from senior management.

Pros

Generous holiday entitlement. Good training provision. Some good people. It used to be much better.

Cons

Inequality, Hidden agendas, Blame culture, Hierarchical, Extremely poor leadership – leaders who are not leaders, Self-serving senior staff protecting their own interests - sometimes at the detriment of their staff, A feeling of being institutionalised, Grievances not dealt with either sensitively or impartially, Loyalty and dedication apparently accounts for nothing.

Frustrating. Little training

Frustrating. In vast need of change! Time wasted due to lack of training. Management need to listen and focus time on good solid training and have support for new starters

Pros

Good Pension

Cons

Lack of training

Productive and fun place to work

This was the best places I have worked, shame it was only a contract. Good working environment. Good canteen. No parking on site big wait list. Overall great company to work for.

Pros

Flexi hours and can work from home

Cons

No parking

A Great place to work

UKRI is a great place to work. Being partially disabled, I wasn`t made to feel like an outcast. HR made sure within days that I had all the support needed to work comfortably. Your made to feel like part of the `extended` family straight away. The whole work culture makes you feel that it`s a real privalige working there, that you want to get there every day, to be a part of making a real difference. I was only there for a short time as a temporary employee, but I was never made to feel like `the temp`, I would work there again, if given the opportunity.

Interesting and Enjoyable

My first role within the public sector and I very much enjoyed the challenges of understanding a completely different environment to what I am used to. Everyone was friendly, extremely helpful and not afraid of change which as a PI analyst is a very welcome change.

Cliquey and chaotic

The people in this organisation are good people, but there seem to be a lot of cliques and expectance of deference to others. Most of the senior managers are lovely and great at what they do, but one or two seem arrogant and inflexible. They are trying to make change within the organisation, but it seems poorly managed, chaotic and not supported by the majority of staff. Also, some changes come out of nowhere so there's no time to prepare.

Lack of coordination across departments

No coaching or supporting culture. People work for themselves in siloed way. This may be due to a number of organisations merging into one but it didn’t make for an easy place to work

Pros

Near train station

Productive workplace

I was a temp Team Leader with 12 new staff to train and co-ordinate. The workplace was relatively friendly with great facilities. No parking though.

Do not expect to much

Good all round except that the long term staff do NOT like you to rock the boat, or bring in new ideas. Overall a very laid back dept that I was in. They do have internal long standing staff that like to project their power which could make some people feel like they are being bullied. Work is straight forward, no clocking in , so they work on Trust Time schedule. Very flexible on time off. Not much stress due to work loads.

Jobs at UKRI

See more jobs

It's a great place to work with lots of great people. And it's the main function is for enabling one of the most important things in the World - research.

Easy Access From Newbury

Need to employ more people from outside the public sector, internal promotion has resulted in a stagnate job opportunities. There tends to be an old boys network.

Passionate people who are highly committed to UK research and innovation

I have learnt more in the last 11 years than in the previous 20 and I have enjoyed working with such gifted and motivated people. The transition from the Councils to UKRI has been challenging and change has been difficult, primarily because the Councils have always been good employers, very family friendly and very stable. Change has always been low level - enought to be visible to employees but with limited impact on organisation effectiveness or efficiency. This is in part because the Councils have always been efficient but also because efficiency drivers are often vague and ambiguous. Leadership has focused on research and innovation rather than organisational competence and capability and if anything there is a tendency to perfect systems and processes.

Pros

Family friendly, employee focused, professional.

Cons

Process focused.

Review

Overall, it is a great place to work. I enjoy working there because of the great work and objective of the organisation. The public sector has it benefits and downfalls like any job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UKRI. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement