UNITE Students

UNITE Students Employee Reviews

The work environment overall is good, the workers are nice and helpful. However, it can feel lonely at times as I was often alone conducting room inspections or filling rooms with the necessary welcome items. The bag and bin/cleaning aspect was a bit grim at times but easy to deal with and the other employees made it a fun experience. There was a feeling of poor organisation and rushing to get things done but this is probably due to COVID-19 interrupting the usual process of check-outs and check-ins at the accommodation.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, nice staff, felt welcoming
Cons
Monotonous work, lonely at times
Very negative experience with Unite. Too much middle-management and little development opportunities for staff.Love a survey, but pay no attention to the results. Say and do eveything to look good on paper, but scratch beneath the surface, and it's a very poor support network with little investment in its people.
Pros
Site teams are hard working and loyal
Cons
No investment in staff. A culture of suspicion and clicks. Not a pleasant company yo work for
It's a fast-paced workplace where no two days are the same. Your flexibility and hard work are valued by management and your coworkers are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. No matter your position, you will be included in the decision-making process and your ideas will be heard. This place has a very open culture and you are able to talk frankly to anyone about anything.
Pros
Living wage salary, good benefits, varied workdays
Cons
Sometimes difficult to get extra hours
Really great place to work, it can be challenging and fast paced at times but the management team is super supportive. The role is not for everyone but if you are switched on and care about making a difference then the hours are great and you are trusted run your property.
Pros
Supportive Management Team, Friendly Colleagues & Lovely Customers
I was a student at university when I joined United Students. The job was perfect for me as it was a zero-hour contract, meaning I could fit the job around my uni timetable. The wages worked out at ÂŁ10 p/h which is especially good for a student job, and the colleagues were so friendly, I felt welcome and part of the team immediately! Highly recommend going for this - especially if you are a student in need of a flexible job!
Pros
Friendly colleagues, good pay.
Cons
Can be hanging around with nothing to do for a while.
absolutely incompetence low-level management, wasting time for meetings and no future action after, no encouragement to hard workers, most important are fake smiles and hugs, ...
The job can be very fun and no two days are the same. However, show any sign of weakness and you're done for.If a supervisor takes a dislike to you, they will stop at nothing to push you out. They will publicly disclose health issues to other colleagues and use these against you. The gossiping and backstabbing is endless. Some truly lovely people there, but the atmosphere as a whole is toxic. You do not know who to trust, especially not when supervisors band together to create tensions and rumours.The SSAs, housekeepers and maintenance team work very hard, but the supervisors do the bare minimum.Shifts will constantly be changed to suit the supervisors and if you reject overtime, you are treated frostily afterwards and told you're not a team player. If you dare say you cannot do a last-minute shift change, you will be expected to give proof why you can't or else pulled in to a meeting room and told your attitude stinks. The students are mostly a joy and what makes the job worth it, but the higher ups couldn't care less about them. It's all about the money.
Pros
Helping the students, bonuses, good pay, buy holiday scheme (but they don't like you using them).
Cons
Rotas change up to five times a month, backstabbing, name-calling, useless supervisors.
Inept, callous management make a lot of promises and tell a lot of lies. They ask staff to pull off exceptional work in exceptional times then it becomes the new norm. Biased, warped management keep two managers who sexually harass the housekeepers but dismiss a housekeeper for swearing in a staff room. They exploit their best loyal workers and reward the useless. They like being admired and hold petty grudges. It took two months to sort out my final wage and I had to bring in the Union. On a good day, it can be somewhat surreal, quite fun, like living in Royston Valley with weird slightly make your skin crawl characters other days, they just make your skin crawl. You can count the decent, genuine staff on one hand, the false, two faced staff are like Autumn leaves, literally everywhere!
Pros
None in reality
Cons
No Holidays during the summer, no rest days during check in times
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Unite Oxford. The staff are great fun, supportive and welcoming, while I can honestly say I have never worked for a management team as supportive and respectful as the team at Unite. I only left because I was relocating, if that had not been the case I could see myself working for the company for a long time.
Pros
Good pay, good colleagues, good managers, well-paced job.
Cons
)ccasionally rude customers
worked here for a couple of months after a take over and omg the fun happy environment that we knew was taken away..place is run by kids,who have no people or management skills,turn-over of staff very high,staff overlooked for promotion for friends or family who have no qualifications to do the job.Place is a shambles avoid working here if you can
Pros
non
Cons
Shambles
This job does put you under pressure and the management are only interested in sales, they do not care about student's financial difficulties, the student's will expect a concierge service from you and treat the buildings like hotels. The hours and having to work on bank holidays are ridiculous and you are expected to do this. Sometimes you will be expected to work 10 days in a row.
I worked for this company for 6 months. Initial impressions were good, however went swiftly downhill from day one. Salary given was lower than agreed during interview. First day kicked off with listening to a colleague get shouted at during a management feedback meeting. Attitude of management towards students and staff was appalling, there is a very high turnover of staff who walked out of this company from different departments because oh how badly they were treated.You also don't receive training from any management. If you request holidays they will do their best at all costs to avoid allowing them. You don't matter to them in any way regardless of how hard you work, it will never be noticed so don't bother trying.
The worst place I've ever worked. Certain staff member were unsackable even though they showed continuous incompetence. People who worked so hard to get ahead were overlooked for friends and family members who didn't bother to learn the job. EVERY SITE HAD MICE! Management from Supervisor to Area Manager was absolutely dreadful.
Pros
Bonus isn't bad
Cons
Working with mice, high chance of working with staff that aren't fully trained even though they've been there for years, if you not rubbings shoulders with the right people you will get nowhere
Just wanted to write a review to point out, that during Covid-19 Unite have been fantastic. They have really looked after the staff and made us feel secured in these uncertain times. They adapted to us working from home in a short period and have given us every chance to share worries about the future and returning to work! Thanks Unite!
Annual bonus and helping staffs on their personal issues. Every year staffs are reworded with good sum of money for meeting the set target/goals for the year. They also assist staffs with personal issues like renting an accommodations .and assisting staffs with supporting letter to the home office if a staff is applying for their spouse to join them in the UK.
Pros
End of year parties for staffs & giving good bonuses t(money) to staffs yearly.
Cons
Assisting staffs for their staff's spouse to join them over here.
Worked for Unite Students for 4 years. First 2 and a half years was great. Different management then came in and then it all went downhill. Seen far too many people who were good employees leaving due to problems with clueless management. If I hadn’t of left last year then I would of ended up mentally ill!!! A shame really, as the place used to be run by management who had a clue and knew how to speak to staff with respect
usually, I got to work 4 on 4 off that's nights. the supervisor was nice even if she wasn't able to help in all situations due to corporate ruling her out. Fun colleagues, semi-relaxed work environment as long you did your job ex answered calls, took care of water leaks, lost keys replacements... you were left alone with no boss breathing down your neck. The monthly meeting with a supervisor was good. I quit due to quick policy changes: rumors of night staff not earning there wages were spread by day staff to managers and workload got tripled and at one point I was unable to deliver acceptable customer service so I resigned. It was a good job I'm sorry that I was forced out.
I enjoyed the role but the salary Did not match the level of commitment is to put in. Lots of managers and not always clear what time do which each person’s remit was to manage In terms of personnel.
Very good company I left only because I had big problems with the supervisor who bullied me otherwise I would never have left. She was the worst woman I have ever met in all my life
Unite is over run with supervisors and team leaders .When problems arise they are all first class at becoming unobtainable .A poor place to work would be great if all management and supervisors were disposed of to be fair it would run well without them
Stressful job , management is shocking , working for weeks without a day off during the summer,, the company takes advantage of the staffs good nature .. forget booking a holiday from June to September
  1. Employee reviews