UNITE Students
Happiness score is 40 out of 100

UNITE Students Employee Reviews

United Kingdom114 reviews

A lot of back biting, No room to move up in the business

At the start the job was fun however after a few weeks you will realize that you will be stuck doing parcels for the whole year with no help. Plus additional stuff which is not your department. Would avoid this at all costs. The only people that matter in this business are the managers.

Pros

Relaxed

Cons

Stressful

Great staff to work with and really easy jobs

Really great people to work with not just humerus but very helpful. The students are very understanding and relatable. The sites are very easy to get to and easy to figure out.

Pros

Not too far from home, the hours go by really fast

Cons

Temporary job

Terrible

Managers are awful and don't bother doing any work even when it's busy also the training is non existent so you're constantly feeling overwhelmed and confused

Pros

Working with students is laid back

Cons

Everything else

Great place to work, staff are lovely and make it a great place to work.

I worked at unite students in Loughborough. My manager was one of the best managers I have ever had. Work colleagues were equally as amazing and was really sad to leave them all!

Pros

Great colleagues, really look after staff with weekly/monthly free food etc

Awful, just plain awful

Soul sucking experience, students are largely fine but no backup or help from managers who seem to prefer the staff who have no desire to lift a finger.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Worst management team in the world

Decent place to work if you need the money

Decent place fast paced, some managers can be strict that others but a jobs a job if you need the money then keep it, u get to speak to different people on a day to day basis

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Would be an alright job if management weren’t so awful

The job itself is alright and not particularly difficult. Unfortunately it’s completely mismanaged and you are not supported at all by supervisors who have managed to create an extremely toxic work environment for the entire city team.

Pros

Colleagues not on management level are lovely, the company itself is looking to diversify which is good

Cons

Not a high enough salary for the responsibility you’re given, Poor management who don’t deserve the job.

Great company

Worked for Unite for 4 years.. they are a great company and look after their staff. They have great benefits like yearly bonus, health care, company shares and additional holiday buy to name a few. I can honestly say they are one of the best companies I have worked for.

Pros

As above..

Toxic Management

Don’t work here until the childish and immature management have gone!Don’t work here it will effect your mental health due to the toxic environment!

Pros

The rest of the team!

Service and safety advisor

The job could be interesting. In the night role you work alone. The job is not for everyone. I left due to bullying. With a different management team things could have been much better.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Mental well being

My advice: RUN

When I first started I was given this advice and I wish I listened. Horrendous place to work, management clearly doesn't care about and respect their staff nor do they trust their staff. They only care about sales and aren't willing to listen to feedback and adapt. Wished I never worked for this company, wouldn't even recommend my worst enemy to work here.

Cons

Management, changing job description, treated like your worthless

Clearly have internal management problems and Somme managers are petty and bullies

Initially I felt really confident about working at unite when I trained there before covid. Then realised that once we were in the office it wasn’t that way at all. Spoken down to, ignored, management do not respond to messages with requests to holiday and almost made you feel bad for trying to take time off. Couldn’t get time off for doctors appointments and have a strange way of punishing you when you need to make up time. One manager was great but she wasn’t respected by other managers and was keen and encouraging but always got shot down when suggestions were made. Throughout Covid I found working from home hard as I didn’t get many responses when needing help. Also lots of rumours about there being vermin problems in the student houses and lots of problems with not refunding students when extra money was taken from their accounts.

Pros

Nice staff (not management)

Cons

Spoken down to and disrespected. Pay isn’t good for how hard you work. About 18k, managers make an extra £1 an hour than regular staff.

Avoid

Very poor organisation. You are not valued and if a temp are treated like second class. Poor management - you are left to work out what to do. A lot of pettiness. Asked to do work unrelated to job role - often instead of what you were employed to do. Complaints not taken seriously. Low morale. The student reviews on Trust Pilot give a damming assessment of the company from clients perspective. A lot of walking flights of stairs as there are no lifts.

Pros

You get plenty of exercise.

Cons

Dirt, lack of leadership, low moral

Great working team, good laugh

Came into this expecting it to just be security based maybe working alongside a receptionist or similar, but it's actually so much more and better for it. Came from a hotel security background where my shifts were normally tossing a drunk out the bar or breaking up fights, dealing with first aid requests, but this is so much more laid back. Yes there are problems you get with some students, but it's a lot less hands on, so is a lot less stressful. Service and safety saff are responsible for a whole host of things other than just premises security, including checkups on property safety systems (fire alarm testing, fire asset checks etc) and a few bits of minor maintenance as and when required, however I've never felt pushed into doing anything I wasn't comfortable with, and there are plenty of staff from across the board who are more than willing to walk you through how to do things you may not have had to do before. It's not a job for a newbie to anything security related in my eyes, some kind of experience definitely helps, but as I say its not all about the security.

Pros

Plenty annual leave. Overtime normally available at request. Great team atmosphere

Cons

12 hour shifts can be a bit of a killer some days/nights

Heart and soul was ripped out

Worked here for a few years and absolutely loved it. Great colleagues, management and always looked forward to going to work. Then the management changed and so did everything with it. It didn't take long for the newmanager to decide who she wanted and who she didn't. Staff members were coerced into giving false statements to get rid of staff members and if you weren't willing to do the same you were thrown under the bus with them. In the space of a month, this went from the best place I'd ever worked to the worse.

Cons

Poor management

Not the best place

Low wages, and minimal hours. Covid 19 effected the job unfortunately but unite themselves could have been more helpful. Wouldn't recommend working here as a student, there's better paid jobs with better hours out there

Relaxed work place,

I work here as a service and safety advisor, the nights are okay but day shift is less lonely, do your job and you will be okay, no micro management. Students are usually okay, if you’re easily stressed or wound up I’d avoid this job like the plague, but if you like a challenge this may suit you.

Pros

Relaxed management

Cons

Lonely nights when quiet

Good Company

Good company to work for. However if there is no progress within 2-3 years time to move on. Overall the Company is making sure that the work environment is vibrant and exiting. Lots of campaigns and projects to be involved.

Pros

Well establish company

Cons

Difficult to progress

Do not invest in people in real terms

Very negative experience with Unite. Too much middle-management and little development opportunities for staff.Love a survey, but pay no attention to the results. Say and do eveything to look good on paper, but scratch beneath the surface, and it's a very poor support network with little investment in its people.

Pros

Site teams are hard working and loyal

Cons

No investment in staff. A culture of suspicion and clicks. Not a pleasant company yo work for

Fast-paced workplace

It's a fast-paced workplace where no two days are the same. Your flexibility and hard work are valued by management and your coworkers are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. No matter your position, you will be included in the decision-making process and your ideas will be heard. This place has a very open culture and you are able to talk frankly to anyone about anything.

Pros

Living wage salary, good benefits, varied workdays

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get extra hours

Great place to work!

Really great place to work, it can be challenging and fast paced at times but the management team is super supportive. The role is not for everyone but if you are switched on and care about making a difference then the hours are great and you are trusted run your property.

Pros

Supportive Management Team, Friendly Colleagues & Lovely Customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNITE Students. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9