UNITE Students
Happiness score is 40 out of 100

UNITE Students Employee Reviews

United Kingdom145 reviews

studentcolleagueavoidrolecitysitestaffholiday

You can tell something has changed and probably not for the best.

It could be fun, students are nothing if not entertaining, but everyone finds themselves so busy that you can’t be trained on anything because no one has anytime, the sheer number of parcels to give out can be exhausting and knowing that you’ll probably work through your unpaid lunch break becomes draining quickly because you always have to respond if you’re like working which is most of the time. Most of the management are lovely and doing their level best but it’s obvious that the changes that the company have made aren’t brilliant for staff happiness or retention

Pros

Staff are friendly and a good laugh

Cons

Unless you’re on shift with someone else, it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to take your unpaid lunch break

Probably the worst place i have ever worked in my life

Customer Service and Sales Advisor - LeiceserI started at unite in 2018 and i was naive and hopeful that this would be a simplecustomer service job, and for a while it was. But slowly i started realising that theworkplace was not in fact normal. You have so many responsibilities you are expectedto carry every single day without being allowed to complain. The salary is laughablecompared to every sinale competitor, and they have confirmed that there are no plansof increasing it. The hours range between 8am and 8pm with them soon beingchanged to 7am till 10pm so there is no life that can be had outside of work. I have leftrecently and I am thankful I did every single dav. They have denied me my last bonuspayment for reasons I will never understand, but they are too powerful of a companvfor me to go against them legally. I wish I never got this job, as my mental andphysical health struggled for years because of the stress and emotional abuse andmanipulation from management.

Cons

I did all the managers work

Insights into UNITE Students

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Great company at the time to work for . Help develop me to who i anToday .

Fantastic firm to work for . Thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Unite Students .I worked for the Regional Development branch based in Manchester which comprised of Development, acquisition, planning and delivery teams all with the goal of growing the business.The company is values based which runs though my veins so i was ideally suited to working there . My line manager and mentor were very influential in helping me develop myself both personally and professionally. Good memories!

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Probably travelling

Productive and purpose fulfilling

Giving the chance to support and guide young adults develope into great adults is very purpose fulfilling in this role. The fact that you know you are keeping them as safe as possible while they stay within your building is a great accomplishment.

Pros

Best of employee benefits

Cons

Dealing with young adults can be challenging but rewarding

More hassle than it’s worth and shocking job culture

Fast paced environment and no two days are the same but the job culture is shocking. There are individual groups of staff that give off a ‘clique’ vibe and there is constantly drama. Employees and management just speak about each other and complain constantly. Many issues at the property are overlooked or given a shady solution. Will definitely avoid working here and would tell others too.

Pros

Pay

Was great

Great place to work. However recent restructure means that work is more stretched, and a lot of good employees have left. good bonus and perks........

Definitely not a long-term option…

I had been at Unite Students for a year or so before I made the decision to leave this year (for obvious reasons of course!) I would say that the job role of an SSA is doable for anyone with basic IT/admin skills, can easily hold conversations & deal with any queries (and i literally mean ANY queries….) There really is not much progression unless you are white LOL or are “pretty for an exotic person” as most of the misogynistic men in the maintenance team would say! Overall the environment is very pick & mix because most of the staff members in the same role as me were always super chill & nice but management deffo have a superiority complex…they always want to be in the center of attention & “notoriety” in every situation & will overuse authority whenever they can, making certain days really stressful. I do not regret working at Unite Students but I’m satisfied with my decision to leave.

Pros

Meeting nice staff members & friendly students

Cons

Long hours, lone working, toxic management, stressful

Only if you are desperate

-Mostly nice team members. -Terrible, management who don't listen.- Not enough staff so lone working a lot.-A lot of new staff not getting trained correctly.use as a steppingstone.-You do more that the job spec.It burned me out that's why I left

Great staff terrible management.

Delusional management. 90% staff turn over is a success story. Forces low paid staff to give up their time unpaid just to massage egos of senior management. Can have expensive jollies but can't afford to pay overtime.

Decent team leaders and friendly staff the rest is aweful

Decent enough job as a stepping stone. Team leaders are for the long part approachable and greatly helpful.Management is a joke however and the new hours have led to the majority of the good staff leaving/looking elsewhere those left have lost all motivation and enthusiasm the role.

Very little pay,if you want wealth do not work for this company and if you want bad health this job is the right job

Very bad supervisor, very very bad pay,You can't get no where in life with this pay, life is full of great opportunities, go grab one opportunity, emotional damage, dealing with life threatening sittuation all night

Cons

Productive and rewarding place to work

Loads of support from management and other departments when needed. Great collaborative culture between everyone and rewarding helping students with queries

Terrible place to work due to management

Management are shocking, they believe they are above everybody so do not have to do anything.Work life balance there is none as you are expected to change your plans on a day off to cover and if you don't you're shouted at and made to feel guilty.Salary is a joke, you have an interview and are given the job role but when you start you are told you have to do all other jobs too if not then you can leave, so you get paid for one job role while doing many different job roles.Job security well that depends on how long the students live here before they realise the place is falling apart before they leave. Job advancement there is none what so ever, god forbid you are considered the lowest on the food chain which is the night work people, those people I feel sorry for because they are treated like garbage.The job culture is... Well it's just really bad.Company overall is just about making money nothing else, they don't care about the students or the people who are on the frontline (not management) So to summarise stay away if you value your physical and mental health and dignity.

Pros

When you get to leave after your shift. Some people who work there.

Cons

Management, progression, the site, lying about the job role

Toxic environment after consultation

Before the consultation I loved my job. But majority of good staff have left. Constant staff turnover now. Underhand tactics, poor pay, bullying snd toxic culture. It is such a shame but they are full of empty promises that never deliver. I would never advise anyone to work here.

Pros

Some team members

Cons

Pay, communication, management, hours

Get in and out as fast as you can

Run This isn’t the place you want to be at on a weekly basis, no work/life balance what so ever and you’ll never be appreciated for your work, wouldn’t recommend

All about the moneh

The recent restructure of the company really highlighted that this company doesnt care about staff or students but simply about income. Unwilling to listen to long standing members of staffs concerns regarding changes within the company and would rather see them leave and replaced with agency staff who know little to nothing about the buildings and procedures meaning students will suffer in the long run

Stressful

Avoid at all costs if you value your sanity, worst management ever. Restructure pushed out most of the staff. I feel sorry for the students in the properties

Toxic and mentally draining workplace

This company loves to preach about equality, diversity and team workmanship but factually none of these exist. There is no opportunity for growth, unless the company are in desperate need to fill-in job roles; which always go to under-qualified managers who could care less for their team or the standard of their buildings. Leaving this toxic workplace was the best decision I’d ever made!

Pros

Some friendly staff, building friendly relationships with the students & the odd £50 rewards voucher

Cons

High turn-over, long hours, zero recognition, doing a lot of tasks outside of the job role i.e cleaning bedrooms and removing hazardous waste

Recently Undergone an Awful Restructure

Used to be an excellent place to work, then the company decided to restructure itself and introduce work hours that does allow any form of work-life balance. All the best managers left. All the best staff left. The company is a pale shadow of what it used to be - Glad I got out, cannot recommend.

Pros

Helping out students was extremely rewarding.

Cons

Awful current hours, awful current management, awful recognition for hard work.

Fun fast workplace

Amazing colleagues and site! Can be challenging at times but everyone helps each other to take the pressure off. Students are always presenting new challenges and not one day working here feels the same, or nights!!!

Bad company

Always changing things, making people redundant no security if job. People you work with are lovely and the only reason people stay in the job. Company itself is bad to work for, no care for their staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UNITE Students. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement