United Carpets

Working at United Carpets: 22 Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews

workcarpetstoredayworkinggreatmanagementhour

Good commission scheme but poor basic

Best commission scheme I’ve seen in carpet/flooring retail however what you take home balances out because if you’re not selling (or if you’re off or on holiday) you’re on minimum wage. Only employ the minimum number of staff they can get away with meaning a lot of hard and physical work ie lifting heavy products and rolls. On the flip side if you’re a strong salesman and not much staff competition you can do well on commission. Expected to work all bank holidays. Promoting internally is good - I started as a salesman and was promoted to assistant manager so the opportunity to progress is there

Pros

Commission scheme, opportunity to progress higher

Cons

Basic salary, basic holidays

Stressful and over worked

No clear direction from the head office to the stores.Very behind with the times in terms of products, fitting and salary.Marketing is only for carpets and free fitting rather than advertising equally for other products, such as artificial grass, vinyl flooring, laminate flooring and beds.

Insights into United Carpets

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Underpaid underappreciated

Unless you hit lucky and land a job fitting for one of the few store managers who understand the trade, you will be spoken down to when you reccomend doing things correctly, blamed for things a estimator has ballsed up and paid a pittance in comparison to even other major stores, who are also not great payers... 2.50 per square meter with a 30 minimum charge being standard at the store I worked, while a competitor was paying 4 per square meter with a 60 minimum, carpet are never ready for you, so you have to do the stores staff job yourself by finding, cutting and rolling them, there is no space for cutting so you look a cowboy turning up and having to cut outside and the way they word their free fitting deals you have to turn up and spend the first half hour of a job explaining you need to be paid, some days I turned up (half hour drive) to be then told there was no work and to go home, absolutely avoid

Pros

There might be a well run store somewhere, never seen one myself though

Cons

All of it is a con

A typical day at work

Very good place to work for staff good to work with and management very nice to get along with spent A lot of years working for the company and would work for the company again

Ups and downs.

The job is labour intense. You will be expected to do the normal labour of a store assistant but also a warehouse or house removal workers. A lot of heavy lifting.

Pros

Its a job that pays

Cons

heavy lifting, lunch hours not paid.

productive work place

i learned to work as a team player serving customer face to face to earn my commission. I went through my fork lift test and worked productively in a warehouse. There was not enough hours/ days off.

Decent employer overall

Serving different clients is the greatest part of this job. No two days are the same with different people wanting different propertys fitted with very different ideas as to what they want. The products are pretty decent overall however the advertising and relaying of information from head office down to the individual stores could use some work. The store owner i work for has always been good and fair helping with issues both in and outside of the store enviroment.

Loved working here

Spent nearly 13 years working for this company loved every minute. Only left because I did not want to work weekends and bank holidays any more. Great team made good friends

Pros

Great team of people from top to bottom

Cons

Weekends/ Bank holidays

Payroll Assistant

Great place to work, really nice people, I left because I was relocating to the South of England. I learned so much at United Carpets and was supported very well. Only downside was I didnt get a payrise in the 3 years I was there.

Pros

Flexible

Close and professional store

I loved working here I did all the store cleaning from offices to cleaning windows. The staff were great. Unfortunately I had to leave as my husband became ill and needed full time care.

Pros

Free lunch, staff discount

Cons

There really wasn’t any

domestic carpet fitter

fitting carpets and vinyl into peoples houses, uplift and removal of old, all preperation for new flooring to be laid in accordance with British Standard

Enjoyable days work

Working at united carpets was enjoyable. It often had its stressful moments during which I'd have to deal with large orders and large amounts of money, or have to deal with a difficult customer but on the whole I enjoyed the challenge of my first job in retail.

Bad job

Long hours low money and job is alot to do in one day not treated great by work colleges management was good and friendly but just was not for me

Pros

On the road

nice place to work

worked here for almost 9 years but unfortuneatley they are making me redundant end of feb

I created Leaflets with business cards attached and then posted them around the local area Ripley. I did this with little guidance and worked alone.

Productive work place.

An average working day was positive. We started every day with a brief staff meeting to get all the workers both in-store and out-store up to date with the day's plan. I learned about management, how to apply mathematical skills to my work and how to build up confidence. I improved all communicational skills and developed further experience. Management was the best, i cannot praise the manager enough; always on top of her game. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people, working with great stuff and having a safe-environment to work in.

Pros

Good dress code

Cons

Longn tiring hours.

Unappreciated and over worked

Young when working here and asked to work unpaid to prove my worth, i was stupid and naive, dangerous conditions to wind carpet onto rolls at 5 meters above ground and no harness

Warehouse person

I started here in the warehouse to load/unload trucks etc into the shop of purchases onto the vans for delivery to customers, i then started to work more on the shop floor, dealing with customers orders etc.

Experience

I first started working as a laborer doing little jobs like cleaning and moving things, after a few weeks of earning £40 a day I didn't go back because I wasn't needed, then a month later I was told I was needed and used to work 2 days a week doing more responsibilities, e.g cutting carpets rolling carpets and sorting and cleaning stock, Soon after working that way for a month I started to do the odd day going out with a fitter in ilkeston United Carpets and beds and only working one day in store, work seemed to vanish off, and I wasn't needed until the next month around Christmas, I worked in Ripley, cleaning the shop and sorting stock because this at the time was to become my new work place and at the time I was working other places doing any job that would give me money, January the 1st was when I had a contract to work there one day a week and I enjoyed it working with different staff members, a couple of months went by and I slowly learned about selling carpets and how to work out prices I was afraid to approach customers at first and didn't like to do complicated things I was used to manual labor a week passed and I felt more confident and approached customers learning new selling techniques off of Paul Barry "estimator" and Roy Williams "estimator" my "manager" Marion Wright was very helpful with job tasks taking time to explain them to me, after I finished my college course I worked full time doing 6-7 days a week working on my day off and going fitting most of the time with Terry Morley. The hardest part of the job was pleasing the customers with high demands and -

Pros

Commision

Cons

New management Changes alot of things meainy my contract

productive

a day in carpet fitting consisted of fitting of carpets/vinyls into customers homes. collecting fitting money. management was changed a lot due to fall through of company that i can not speak about. overall i loved the job.

Productive Experience

Learn a lot and gained a lot of confidence and experience in sales which I have grown into and now thrive under pressure in any jobs

Pros

enjoy challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Carpets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Learn about United Carpets in popular locations

• United Carpets
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?