United Utilities
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

United Utilities Employee Reviews in Warrington

Warrington86 reviews

A good company to work for

I took a role as a training associate on a short term (6 month) contract.The work was initially challenging however the cinoany liked what I did and extended the term to 12 months.I would have stayed if they could have offered me a permanent role.

Pros

All contained in one site

Cons

Good place to work only if you fit

Started working there or was nice you will meet nice people but a lot are double faced if you fit it won’t be a problem just be careful don’t share personal stuff with anyone be quite don’t speak with anyone unless you have to or you fit and you will be fine. There’s no job security if you need to go sick for a while they will try to get rid of you either gonna look at your stats or made up something so try to be perfect for the start. There are some really good managers you can be with there are some awful once that will try to screw you if you don’t fit. Hopefully youd get the nice once. If I were you I’d give it a shot as the money are decent the job isn’t hard and you do get some nice people but there is no job security for like 18 months until they give you a contract so keep your nose clean and be very careful otherwise you will end up sacked like me.

Pros

Easy job.

Cons

Double faced managers only some

Insights into United Utilities

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Well established

Good place to work. Nice team, amazing offices during my time there. Would recommend. Flexible hours and working I’d have child care. Many people have been there for years

It is a good place to work but like everywhere they have the odd issue.

In the call centre you have 6-10 weeks of training depending on your contracted hours. You learn how to use all the systems and the background knowledge needed for your role. They have you shadowing and when your finally put in “grad bay”/ the floor, there are floor walkers and support staff there for the final week to give you extra help of need, then you are put into your teams and given an individual buddy. This buddy is there to help you and provide you support until you settle in. They do have a lot of incentives and prizes for staff who do well. You can win vouchers every week. Everyone is very friendly and they do offer a lot of progression opportunities. There are quite a significant amount of people who are related and sometimes this seems to help those people progress faster than others but if you work hard and prove yourself you can develop and move up quite quickly if you want too. There is some gender disparity with wages and job progression but nowhere near as bad as other places and it is something that they are proactively trying to improve. They don’t do much on ethnicity inclusivity but are big on promoting LGBT; there is a ‘multi cultural’ group mentioned on the website but I’ve worked here for years and I’ve never seen or felt like they have provided any activities or support for ethnic minorities like what they do for LGBT. They do promote a lot of women’s right campaigns too and the armed forces; they also do a lot for charities and the local community. But They are in the top 10 for inclusive employers. This is also something that they are proactive -

Lovely staff and environment

The staff here are lovely and the environment is outstanding. The training however is appalling. Two weeks in a classroom with no attempt to embed the learning or practice what you've learned. Four weeks supported calls when you're thrown into the deep end. It's as though they want staff to leave quickly. If you manage to survive the first few months UU is a great company to work for with many opportunities for advancement. Such a shame their training leaves so much to be desired.

Pros

Great people, fantastic environment

Cons

Pitiful training which sets up new staff to fail.

Excellent company to work for

Fantastic work colleagues. Down to earth lovely people. Far less politics than many similar organizations. An enjoyable place to work with colleagues work support you.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Salary not always competitive

Secure

I felt really secure working here. They were fair as long as you worked hard and were competent for the role you were doing. Change was constant to keep up with the changing business and the demands of the regulator

Benefits

Cons

Changing culture

Been agency for over a year

Been agency staff for over a year - don't feel valued. Says it all really. Would recommend as a stop gap if there's nothing else you can go straight into and you need the money quickly

Fast paced, stressful and often noisy office environment with rewarding employment opportunities. Customer facing and business development roles that offer career development with experience.

I only worked there on a contract basis for a short period of time

Good team, positive approach to work and would go back. Very interesting work having not been in the Industry before and they had good management with a plan for the future.

More hours

They are a good company but at the minute there isn’t an option to increase my hours. The company are fair to work for & it isn’t stressful. It is a nice environment to work in .

Anyone with talent leaves

Toxic management culture in many areas of the business. Playing BS bingo will get you promotion at UU - the structure for identifying actual talent is broken and ends with mediocre management who are afraid to recruit talent in case they take their job. Two yearly restructuring gives anyone worth their salt a chance to find a better job, leaving only dross management

Not a good environment

Stressful , too many chiefs not enough Indians , with a claustrophobic atmosphere . Hot desk seating every day , bad parking facilities ! Your ok if in the click , badly managed and disorganised with conflicting management advice ! Some very Rude horrible people within call centre ! If you want to feel like your back at school then UU is for you !

A great place to work

A great place to work great benefits great opportunities great work environment The company cares about their employees A fair place to work Lots to see and learn

Went downhill, such a shame.

Started as a great place to be employed in but through various high level management changes, the company became difficult to enjoy working in. However, I can not fault the attitude to flexible working and family friendly policy.

Good working environment

fast paced and changing priorities but lovely working environment with excellent managemnt team that keep workforce informed on any changes and rationale why

Pros

Terms and Conditions

Cons

Competitive culture

really organised

project planning on-boarding team of staff and contractors logistics and financial control - 4000 users worldwide roll-out project delivery design and production of adoption approach and materials

work place full of opportunities

I was lucky enough to get a weekend job while at university on one of the most important teams within united Utilities. I have had the opportunity to manage projects, be part of an diverse team and be given responsibility. A typical day at United Utilities as part of the Events team is to reach to events including no waters, poor pressure and discoloured water and managing the response and keeping customers up to date. I feel privileged to be given such an amazing opportunity.

Enjoyable environment to work Management are great Workers of all ages Well paid Car share available Food canteen available on site Out of work time activities

Great Company

Refreshing and welcoming workplace, will an environment that is constantly adapting to new challenges and innovations. The workplace is new and modern.

Avoid

Terrible upper management. Zero chance of job progression. Rubbish shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Utilities. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare United Utilities with

• United Utilities
  • Warrington
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?