University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom52 reviews

Challenging but rewarding

I love working at UHS. No day is the same. they are 12 hour shifts, however you get like 4 days off in the week so you get a very good social/ worklife balance. The only downside I would say, is the pay. For what we do when we are short staffed, we do not get paid enough.

Lovely staff, not the best work life balance

They have a good pension scheme and lots of opportunities to gain qualifications and progress in your career however the pay does not reflect the work you actually have to do (particularly for the lower bands) and I personally found the constant switching from nights to long days was not suitable for my life with young children and they were not flexible enough to offer me days only. Staff were all lovely and felt supported in my work.

Insights into University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

Fantastic place to work

Great place to work with lots of opportunities for progression. I worked there for 6 years already and love the fast paced environment coupled with supportive colleagues.

Pros

Opportunities, fast paced, flexible shifts, pay enhance for certain shifts

Cons

Stressful, hectic

Fine if your face fits and you dont think for yourself

If your face fits then your fine but if you have independent thought they will find a way to get you out. In my case made up stories and made it impossible to stay.

Cons

Dishonest management.

As with any hospital. It’s busy. There’s often not enough staff.

A busy city hospital. I’ve worked in numerous departments. In general the culture is good and people enjoy their job and find it rewarding. Some places you get the vibe that people don’t want to be there, but it’s mostly positive. Care is of good quality and patient focused

Pros

Flexibility to work in other areas (if you join the bank), good support when I had difficulties facilitating moves to other departments.

Cons

Long hours, often short of a few staff, but I think that’s the case across the NHS sadly

Fast paced work in a fast paced environment

Loved working here but clearly a divide between bands which is unfair when lower paid workers do just as much work.Some staff get seriously overlooked due to not being higher up in theatres.

Pros

Not really any

Cons

BackStabbing work colleagues, Two faced managers.

Worked as Theatre assistant for 3years.The job is mind numbing and pathetic in some degree. Supposed to be team ethic in NHS, But personal who are part of same team never help you. They are either in coffee rooms or store rooms hiding on there mobile phones for hours a day. You are often left to work by yourself because of lazy attitude of work staff.Supervisor is terrible not fair or helpful when you need to book annual leave,so you could only have time off when his favourite colleagues have picked there annual leave, which is not fair if you have a family. Most of the people who work in Theatres are rude and never wrong , try talk down at you most of the time.And if you have opinion or disagreement you are alienated most of the time too.Managers are terrible, never helpful or approachable.Part of you duties for this job is to collect patients from a ward on bed , but because most of the time you working by yourself it’s impossible to transfer patients. This job is made up of different jobs that other departments do not want to do, so they have made this job title. Nobody respects you even nurses or Theatres staff.

Pros

Uniform, scrubs

Cons

Bad management, No team work, no organisation.

Wonderful experience

Brilliant management and induction training week.Vey nice experience and lots of things to llearn.I m having super manager and the sisters are nice,very good team

Pros

Cofee breaks

Cons

Very stressful

Productive and creative

I like to work with NHS . Because I like to work friendly and responsibly with team. My manager guides me how to work .I am working there as a hands cleaner now and I can working other sections if l got a chances.

Pros

Friendly

Cons

Normal hours

A great place to work

The work is hard (and seemingly never-ending) whatever your role, but the people you work with and knowing that you're contributing to a public service make it absolutely worthwhile.

Great team

I loved this role as the department i worked in had a strong sense of camaraderie. Management were friendly and approachable and there were many opportunities for career advancement. The job was very fast paced and could often be stressful and overwhelming which was made harder by other areas of the hospital not following procedures or not understanding the process and wait times for medications.

Pros

Great place to feel part of a team

Cons

Hospital lunches are expensive and where i worked had no windows.

Productive working place

Excellent working place. the most enjoyable part of the job is having to serve patient and the public. You get to meet new people on a daily basic. and patient comes first in everything you do.

Pros

in house courses for staff

Cons

None.

GP surgery is nice place to work for experience

Working in GP surgery is very challenging and not easy. My clinic starts at 9 am and I see patients with different problems and of all age groups. We have to see the patients in 10 minutes which is quite challenging. Also, my work includes home visits, visits to care homes, a lot of admin work, phone calls, letters and discussing the investigations with the patients. I like my work but at the same time, I find it very challenging and tiring.

Varied but stressful

The environment is very busy with pressures from within the department, and from other departments, to meet the demand on the service when there is no capacity to do so. You need to be resilient. Sometimes management can be supportive, however a lot of the time staff are just expected to put up with it, pressured into overtime or forced into working at least 2 weekends per month. The shift patterns are a bit erratic and, although supposed to be on a rolling pattern are not and generally are released about a month in advance. The work is varied, which is nice, but that doesn't make up for the added stress from the size of the department.

Busy but friendly working environment

My experience of employment at UHS was a positive one. Senior staff were very approachable and colleagues very helpful. I would recommend UHS to any prospective employee.

Money down the drain!

Too many people doing the same job. Too many people doing nothing. Take the p out of the NHS. Not enough medical staff, too many 'managers;. Awful. Money wasted

Southampton University Hospital Trust

They are a great University Hospital Trust, that support you through your development and progression. Great benefits and pension, holidays excellent service to patients and staff.

great manager

managers at UHS are really helpful and understanding and will bend over backwards to help their staff. Friendly staff members and always on hand to help out others

This is a brilliant, fast paced and innovative trust. They encourage you to perform at the highest standards in order to provide unparalleled services

I have worked here for 6 years and have had excellent career progression throughout. The team are hard working and very friendly. It also leads the country in forward thinking and always striving for optimal patient experience. The pharmacy team in particular understand a patients daunting hospital journey and makes it as smooth as possible. I highly recommend this trust.

Painter

It is a Good friendly environment to work in no day is the same, there is alot of career progression and staff benefits, and a good place to socialise

A varied and interesting place to work

Depending on your role a typical day on the job can involve a lot of different tasks or working on a single task. There is a culture of flexibility especially in regards to working hours. Management can be cliquey however if you have a good manager then they are hugely supportive and it can be a great place to work.

Official response from University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

13 August 2019
Thank you for your positive and honest feedback. We're happy to see that you were supported. If you have anything you would like to discuss further please contact hrsocialmedia@uhs.nhs.uk.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust with

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?