University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust logo
University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust

University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Might have been far more enjoyable had Covid-19 not impacted us so hard

Potentially a fabulous place to work. There was a real culture learning that ran parallel to the job itself. Monthly "Geek Clubs" took place where you and colleagues were invited to present a subject that might have been of interest to other analysts. People were bright, committed and otherwise a joy to work with. Unfortunately, one month after I started my 5 month contract, Covid hit us. One by one, long serving officers disappeared from the office to work from home. This made it rather difficult to benefit from support and guidance from them as I was learning the job. Additionally, Covid brought with it a large demand for novel and experimental reporting to the senior managers and to central government. In theory, these additional pressures would have been described as extra routine tasks, but in reality, our government was shifting the scope and definition of requirements, almost on a daily basis, introducing additional burdens and stresses. Perhaps it was just unlucky that I should secure a position in a hospital information department just as the Nation was about to be struck with a pandemic.

Pros

Wonderful colleagues

Cons

Too routine yet, paradoxically, too unsettled (due to Covid-19)

The worst work experience

These people there do as little work as possible, get agitated when someone questions this and spend all their time creating dramas. And management does nothing about it.

Rewarding workplace and lots of job satisfaction

The people you work with are fantastic. Everyone is pulling in the same direction to better the experience of the patients and visitors. I am very proud to have worked there.

Great place to work, fast-paced and good team

I enjoy working for the trust, however I wish there were more opportunities to progress and grow as a member of the team. I find myself keen to learn and qualify further, but with limited options to do so within the trust. I cannot fault the hospital staff, however. The whole hospital has a great feel to it and the staff seem smiley and happy to be there, and I always have a good day at work, despite how busy it can be! Great place to work!

Good co-staff. Career development

More power to you. I learned so much personally and professionally. I gained so many friends and mentors. Your good company is open to all, regardless of race, as long as they qualified and they are willing to learn. Thank you so much for the experiences and lessons learned in life.

Interesting place to work

Enjoyed this job as taking care of patients needs was so varied. I learnt a lot working at christchurch hospital and the rest of my colleagues taught me so much. The management were good and the workplace was a happy one.Hardest part of the job was not haing time to do some things occasionall but on the whole best job I have ever had .

I've been and am still learning new thing everyday! Really good team work and there are lots of extra trading you can do. The team are very supportive friendly and fun.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Unsociable hours

paper work

not enough time to do my job properly it isn't a production line the patients are human someones mother father so daughter etc they should be treated as such

A very friendly and helpful work place.

No two days are ever the same so you never get bored with your job. It is a friendly place to work in. I have learnt so much; quite a few of the networks which make the job so variable. I have daily contact with patients via the phone and enjoy helping them to alleviate their fears over their procedures. Management is a grey area really. It really depends which area you work in! The hardest part of the job is being able to hear people on the telephone, as the majority of offices have more than two people in them! The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.

Pros

Free health care, I.e physio and counselling

Cons

Car parking

it was enjoyable and friendly

I would get into my area turn on my computer login, and find which clinics where happening today, or for the week. (a clinic is where a patient see their consultant) I then went out with a trolley, with medical notes i would i took them to the room which had been allocated to that consultant. we gave the notes to the assistance who work with them and moved on to the next room. i usually did 15 clinics (rooms). I then went back to my computer to look find the medical notes for tomorrows clinics.i then collected them if they where in the hospital or i phone up other another hospitals to get them sent to us. when i finished doing that days clinics (their is more than Clinic in a day) i would then start in the following day and so on. I worked in a team of 7 and we all did the same duties.

Pros

it kept me fit and the hours were good for me at the time

Cons

it got repetitive

Jobs at University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust

See more jobs

Not as good as it sounds.

I do this and a good day is lonely and boring, most days are much worse. The admin is fine though uninteresting but the endless phone calls are a source of stress. I am unqualified to provide medical information myself so have to constantly interrupt clinical staff who are often too busy to come to the phone. In effect I am the messenger who is being shot. A bit wet on my part perhaps. By all means go for it if you think you can be thick-skinned about the need to annoy just about everyone. So why am I there? Mainly because I work two days, no weekends, evenings and bank holidays, and I live close enough to walk there. In addition I have met many amazing dedicated and caring staff. I have the greatest liking and respect for my colleagues but the nature of the job means that I don't work with anyone, it was a nasty surprise to find out just how solitary this supposedly team job actually is. That said, I am proud to work for the NHS and I think RBH is a great place to work, just that this particular job offers no satisfaction and an unforseen amount of unpleasantness.

Pros

Office hours only

Cons

Too often unable to provide visitors and callers with the information they require

Supportive, friendly staff

Lovely friendly place to work in a beautiful part of the country. Provides experience across many different specialities. Offers great advancement opportunities.

productive work place

a typical day at work seems to change every day which is always good you never know who is going to walk through that door and need an xray or procedure doing. i have learned alot of thing whilst being in this job, patience is key some things seem to become very annoying but i have learnt to become alot more patient. management maybe not the best of things in the whole place, not much appreication for the hard work that goes on and what is in volved in this job.

Pros

breaks

Cons

bad management

as prevously mentioned

as mentioned was an excellent team player loved working a valued member of staff worked 110% all of the time loved it really

Pros

team

Cons

paperwork

Insight into the NHS

The NHS environment was shocking to visualise how time and money is wasted on a daily basis. Management are more concerned with their job security rather that improving services for the general public - unfortunately the NHS is now a business rather than a service for the people. Far too many "Red Tape" for the Estates team to perform their role.

Pros

the non estates staff (medical and clinical staff)

Cons

Red Tape

Busy at all times.

I work in the Derwent Ward as one of the Housekeeping Assistants, it is a fantastic place to work for, the whole team from Doctors, Surgeons,Physio's Team,Clinical Leader's, Sister's, Nurses and HCA's all work as a team. Cleaning 14 rooms with ensuites on my side of the corridor, sluice, treatment room, staff toilet and reception toilet. What I learnt is pulling together as a team, and getting on with staff and patients, which is very important in a job environment. Hardest part of the job is making sure I have my three rooms ready for the following day operations, and working closely with the nurses, and HCA's to keep to a schedule. The Clinical Leaders and Sister's on that ward are top class, they even put themselves out to help, if there is a rush to get rooms sorted if not done the day before. Enjoyable part is everyone gets on, even under pressure.

Pros

Good team spirt.

Cons

Can be under pressure to make sure the job is done, ready for the following day operations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Hospitals Dorset NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement