University of Bath logo
University of Bath

University of Bath Employee Reviews

really good a little laid back for my liking

Really good a little laid back for my liking. My manager was a little too hands off in my role and not really very tentative to my development. That was the only downside. But I wasn't there too long to so this comment maybe a little harsh. Otherwise UoB was excellent in terms of there facilities and the research work.

Archaic Managerial Structure - paid for being judgmental and that's all!

Working at the University of Bath was, quite literally, a hellish experience. The 'Management' (and I use that word VERY loosely!) are not skilled in their appointed areas, do nothing to keep in the loop with their staff and are literally never anywhere to be seen besides schmoozing in the onsite cafeterias when they are on work time. The crux of the problem, certainly in my experience, is that the people in positions of power and authority are almost always intertwined in some kind of incestuous hierarchy. Married couples working in the same faculty who just happen to be besties with the Dean... it's all very convenient for those that sit at the top of the tree. They are there through who they know, certainly not what they know and in turn are not qualified to do their own jobs, never mind support the poor members of staff assigned to roles under their, ahem, 'leadership'! It is hard to recall any other situation where I have had the misfortune to encounter such judgmental, opinionated and, quite simply down right rude bunch of pompous stuffed shirts!

Pros

None.

Cons

See above!

Excellent facilities, Zumba at lunchtime. Good work/life balance with 36.5hrs pw and extra 'discretionary' days tapped onto bank holidays. Collaborative culture, wonderful colleagues. However, poor job security with many fixed-term contracts.

Fun Workplace

As a 'casual worker', the environment is relaxing and I always am keen to work and represent the University - great place to work. A typical day for my job entails informing prospective students about the campus and course - giving them presentations and tours of the university.

Good place to work, but too much politics

Work is enjoyable, politics less so. Pay is not comparable to other local HE institutions. 'But we're Bath, you should be glad to work here' is the prevailing attitude.

A secure job but not a career.

This is a good place to work if you are looking for job security and a good work life balance as most departments offer flexi-time and the holiday allowance is above the private sector. The pace of work can be very slow and tasks repetitive. In admin or marketing roles in particular, there’s little room for advancement and training opportunities are almost none. People are promoted to management grades when they are not experienced enough, resulting in micro management and poor communication Communication is poor on a senior level and m about

Great casual student role

A fantastic part-time role for students alongside their studies, gaining leadership and presentation experience. The open days were always well-attended and dynamic.

Productive and friendly atmosphere

University of Bath is a friendly and productive working place that you can enjoy working. Staff and people are nice and friendly. Moreover, I enjoy working here in Bath.

Good facilities and place to work, but lack of career progression

the University if a good place to work and offers a number of benefits. however,, there is no recognised career progression so it can be hard to advance your career.

Very nice and helpful people

A very good place to be for learning science/engineering topics, with very aproachable people that will make your life easier.

Jobs at University of Bath

See more jobs

nice workplace

The University is a nice entity where it is easy to findyour place. It is a nice working place and cosmopolitain. The position helped me to develop the skill of team management

Relaxed positive environment

Wasn't there for long but they all made me feel very welcoming there and I was not pressurised during my work a d learning around I.T. I was able to learn alot about hardware and software while volunteering with the service desk team and would definitely work there again when I can

Collaborative and friendly place to work.

Collaborative and friendly place to work. Good organisational and reporting structures. Good opportunities to extend work profile and gain other experiences.

Productive and Fun

It is a great opportunity to work part time whilst you study at the University with least work load. The university has a friendly environment and many opportunities to learn, work and grow.

Lovely people but too much red tape

I enjoyed my time here a lot and loved being part of a team of interesting, clever, talented and witty people. There's flexible working and a pleasingly right-on culture. However, there are also some frustrating and rigid internal structures in the workplace. Employees' skills and knowledge aren't always utilised to the team's advantage, and repetitive menial tasks are often allocated to smart people, which wastes resources. Furthermore, there are regular directives from people in senior positions who don't necessarily understand the manifold challenges faced by those actually doing the work. Additionally, academics are revered and get the final say on what's published about their departments in onine and printed marketing materials, yet are not necessarily the best people to make editorial, proofreading or business decisions. Even so, they are permitted to do so, often arbitrarily and at the expense of logic or clarity. Overall, the university is a happy and positive place in which to work, offering good learning opportunities and a friendly, positive culture; but a less rigid structure would be beneficial. Would I go back if the right opportunity arose? Yes, because my colleagues were fabulous!

It is a university

It is a university, a good university, I had a nice time there, I studied there and played with my friends, I want to use indeed to search for jobs not write reviews of universities

Great

Recommend getting jobs here as a student. Great pay, good hours that accommodate to university life. Good progression opportunities. Good way to make money while studying.

Friendly environment

Excellent! A+ the people who work their are friendly and helpful, they helped me to gain confidence and gain more skills. couldn't recommend more to anyone.

Great uni

Great university. I didn't work as a staff member, just as an undergraduate doing lab work. I am very satisfied with both my course and the university as a whole.

fun workplace

campus tour, daily interaction with students talking to students about their academic choices and guiding them. Helping with applicant visit days and other activities.

I have been working at University of Bath full-time for just under 6 months involved in a range of multidisciplinary projects. Research culture is collaborative with opportunities to work with researchers in different departments.

Pros

Opportunity to work with a number of teams within the department.

Cons

Very quiet at times due to the holiday period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Bath. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2