University of Birmingham

University of Birmingham Employee Reviews

The team was so nice and friendly and the management were very supportive. The timetable was good as I would finish work everyday at 4:00 pm and still have some free time for my personal life.
Great first 20 years after that all down hill managers no respect to there staff not a nice place to work there anymore im glad im getting out of there
Pros
Cons
Getting out
I'm a postdoc in a life sciences lab. But to the admins we're just "users". We are the driving force for university rankings and position, and yet they make our lives more difficult at almost every step. CORE, the main admin/purchasing platform, is worst I have seen, compared to the 3 other universities I have worked at. While the "bottom of the totem pole" IT and finance people might be trying to help, they are tied up by ridiculous policies that are there to justify the positions and salaries of the upper management. I fear more universities are becoming like this, turning into the business model.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
death by admin
I loved working at the University of Birmingham. I had great colleagues, an excellent manager who genuinely was great at his job. And the environment was so big and fun, there were always new and interesting tasks and new people to meet every day.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Maybe more pay would have been nice.
A great campus, with great people and fantastic research. Let down slightly by a terrible procurement system that can really hamper the speed of research.
Pros
Fantastic gym and swimming pool on campus
Cons
Not enough parking
It is competitive to get a shift with the University. It is not very stressful It is fulfilling if you get a shift It wasn't very stressful I wish they could provide more jobs
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Competitive
Like most universities UoB was a collaborative workplace. There was a good work ethic with the team caring about delivery and quality of delivery. Comms with other teams was good.
Pros
Relaxed working environment
Cons
Lack of project delivery discipline at times
Very great time great opportunity great working environment. This University is great delivering the best working opportunities to the suitable candidate along with all the desired facilities.
Backdated offices, but nice friendly people. Lacking training facilities. On-site costa, spar very handy. Beautiful scenic views. Manager needs to be more proactive.
The University of Birmingham has offered me the perfect environment to develop my research and teaching skills. Working in the Department of Modern Languages is challenging yet rewarding.
Nice environment, possibility to meet international people. Nice University with very valid Professors and services. Laboratories and all the facilities are available to do very good research.
Great place to work with a decent salary and supportive team. The work is always challenging which is what makes the job interesting. Everyone working there is friendly and welcoming.
The University of Birmingham's employment system 'Worklink' is one of the most ineffective schemes I have ever come across. Ultimately this boils down to a confused and hopelessly convoluted computer finance system 'New Core', which leaves the Worklink team helpless in the face of mass numbers of employees not receiving pay and taking months to set up new roles. If this were taking place in any major non-university institution there would be uproar, however as the majority of people affected are students and temporary workers, this is given little priority.
I was a student at this university. I got the Chevening scholarship hence proceeded for studies at the University of Birmingham. I never worked at this university.
Overall it's quite a laid back culture. A lot of people are attracted to work here because of the job security, good pension, and flexible working. There's a lot to love about working here, including the beautiful campus; however, everything feels quite slow paced (requests take weeks or months rather than days or hours) which is great for a low-pressured working environment but frustrating when you want something done. There's lots of opportunities to move around within the university. Good transport links with on campus parking, train station, and bus stops. I enjoy my time at UoB and would happily recommend others to work here.
In my experience working at UoB was a negative one. Competition was fierce and I was expected to work 24/7 (ideally), but with no acknowledgement of the time and effort put in. There is a lot of corruption going on here, unfortunately this is the case across the UK academic institutions and UoB is no exception. The pay scale for academics is very good.
Pros
salary
Cons
not a friendly environment
• Mentored 15 students on the Selly Oak Project 2019 for Touchbase-Sense. • Implemented new business strategies which improved the profitability of the business. • Led a campaign event for Touch Base-Sense to encourage more programmes to help young children.
Great place to work, flexible working arrangement, great work colleagues. Can be frustrating at times but the pace of work is just right but can get busy depending on time of year. Brilliant number of holidays no other organisation can compete with unless its another uni. Would recommend...
Very good place but some administration can make people crazy... Except for that, perfect, very good environment, very well equipped. Lucky to work here.
Ambiente de trabajo relajado con alta flexibilidad horaria.
I was a programme administrator in the Programmes Office, School of Education. The two grade 6 managers in there rule the place with an iron fist and stifle the productivity of their programme admins. The sooner the two of them retire the better. Senior management/ learning and teaching manager doesn't realise how low morale is and how well we work when we're just left to it. The two of them are a blockage in the chain of command and stop things being reported to academics and real senior management.