UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD

UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD Employee Reviews

Fun place to work good salary good worklife balance opportunity to learn good support everyday seems interesting and new very productive and positive learning environment
Be very wary of joining this institution. You may land lucky in some faculties, but my experience has been horrendous. Extremely poor management with a deliberately flat structure and no reward for those who do the real work and generate the income, but instead a self congratulatory inner circle of very inadequate 'leaders' who will do anything to maintain their position and everything to prevent others from progressing. It took me a few years to properly work the place out and a few years to get out but once I did it was obvious to me how badly run the place really was. This is a university in terminal decline and not worth your effort. It is a real pity for the city, but it is very badly served by this institution. If H.E. really appeals to you then for the sake of your career and your health, look elsewhere.
Pros
Some great people in the lecturing and admin teams.
Cons
Management and 'academic' leadership is a mess. Academic reputation is poor.
Amazing student job, great opportunity to get some extra cash while studying ; good hourly rate;relaxed job; you can get involved in various things so you don't get bored
Pros
You get to meet people and do fun activities while getting paid
Cons
Casual hrs
A welcoming and exciting community for both students and staff. University of Bradford's study and work life guarantees you a great experience and great development of your skills, confidence and aspiration for your future. You will be constantly engaged and stimulated by the vast amount of unique individuals on site, promising you to never be bored or have a dull time.
My personal working experience over 29 years was generally fine. I was reasonably well paid and do not feel I have suffered from exposure to that which I shall describe. However I witnessed the emergence of a bullying culture and an intimidated academic workforce except for those co opted into gauleiter roles to do the bullying (which includes the over expanded army of HR staff) Since 2015 the University declined into a project of bullying and poor provision to students in order to siphon off profits from the deprived areas to fund the quixotic pursuit of establishing a medical school which, of course, failed. Money has been wasted in building projects. Investigations of complaints of bullying were not fairly and properly investigated . In my opinion, some staff could have sued for corporate negligence given the level of impact on their mental health by the unwillingness to investigate certain managers who were allowed to continue even when their activities were palpably dangerous. There were also several time wasting bogus 'trojan horse' restructurings carried out to evict staff opposed to the project and further increase profits, for diversion, by ensuring a skeletal level of inexperienced staff could fob off the students with 'Karaoke powepoint' courses. Prior to the worsening of the culture, this had already become an 'Aldi style' university where provision was only of that which turned enough profit under the staffing regime. So, it drifted to the point where hardly any traditional 'A' level subjects had degree provision and there were very few - more...
Firm constantly trying to cut costs/salaries by re-wording job specifications but staff do the same/more than before. Experienced staff leave after every re-structure leaving non-experienced staff to struggle.
Pros
staff can apply to do degrees for free
Cons
constant fear of more job/salary cuts
Although I was only there for a six month contract, I really enjoyed my time there and met some lovely people. The job was challenging but rewarding; the management were great and I learned so much about HE.
International project was amazing, culture amongst academic side not professional side made it 'very' difficult to deliver. I would love to work in an HE progressive environment again, but unfortunately Bradford has a very limited out look due to its size and location I think.
It is a very good place to work, specifically as it provides a lot of opportunities to thrive and succeed in chosen field of endeavour. I will definitely recommend University of Bradford to friends
My experience as an employee for 9 years has been pretty poor. There is a lot of lip service from management and very little substance. It is apparent that the University will never be what it wants to be (or often professes to be), until the culture of the management and workers changes. Poor experience all round, but expectations are high for staff to smile through it all.
I have nothing to convey here. Again , please do not impose this. I have nothing to convey and it is not appropriate that you make it mandatory that i have to submit a review prior to completing on my profile
All the concerns that we had were listened to and taken into account. We also came together to try to find solutions for the concerns of students. The solutions were then put into action as quick as possible.
No access to computers with a compiler, no access to parallel computers. The only computer facilities available are pc's running other peoples commercial software.
nice friendly people. really nice place to work at. you achieve anything there if you set your mind to it. so please do apply they will train you well
There was a culture of bullying. Members of staff who had been there long term were deliberately obstructive and a number of senior academics were arrogant, rude, bullying and aggressive. Horrendous culture which seemingly was allowed to perpetuate. In a normal business environment these people would have been hauled in front of an employment tribunal.
Good culture, come together when dealing with effective raising issues and celebrate with away days after the hard work that goes into making our students successful.
Cons
Used to be a great university and a great Employers. Not any more. Always Room for improvement. In job security Leadership and management Service and delivery
Very good place, multicultural and low cost of living. Most of my experiences are positive despite some bad reputation spread by media (as they prone to do sometime). Good place with full of good people, but definitely need some improvement in senior management.
Hard work is valued far less than "the right face". Pressure is heaped on employees until breaking point and then the blame rests with the employee for being unable to cope. Senior Management has little interest in the day-to-day activities and prefers to spend time on world tours, visiting India and China to "drum up" student numbers - which have yet to materialise. Change, uncertainty and change are buzzwords are key and repeated restructures are used to bully staff into a fear of losing their jobs. This leads to a very poor working environment and tension in all areas. That said, "most" of the staff are actually excellent people, trying their best and working very hard for ungrateful management - and being punished for their dedication - and then the same management wonders why staff don't volunteer to assist with graduation and cleaning.
Pros
most staff are excellent and friendly
Cons
SMT is very poor, staff moral is very low
Job culture very poor, not a lot of support given to staff with disabilities. Don't treat staff fairly, it's a clickish working environment. Don't really think about the needs of the staff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Don't support disable staff
University offers great work/life balance for staff with Families. The University has been affected by numerous re-structures which have had a negative impact on the student experience and staff moral.
Pros
Great working life balance and pay
Cons
Staff moral very low