University of Derby

University of Derby Employee Reviews

United Kingdom102 reviews

universitystudentstudyrolestaffsupportiverecommendskill

Fun place to work

Enjoy working with the students and also learning their lessons- some are very enjoyableFlexibility in the jobPay is goodBut need more attention given to support staff

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Unsure about getting more work hours

Relentless workload

Long working hours expected as the norm, early starts, late finishes, no overtime payment, TOIL frowned upon.Colleagues leave and aren't replaced so additional workload is expected to be absorbed when already overworked/underpaid.Political, hierarchical, archaic, bureaucratic organisation, often managed by people with skills way below their pay scale.Ought to practise what they preach when it comes to values/pillars.

Insights into University of Derby

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things

Horrendous place to work

I have worked there for over 6 years. I wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone. If you enjoy working in an archaic, hierarchical establishment where your efforts go unnoticed unless you are senior management then apply here.

Enquiries team/pre clearing enquiries

This team has been built by a power hungry manager to take calls from SEVEN different departments with zero training. Micromanaged down to each minute of the working day, emails counted and phone calls counted then a monthly meeting to have a go at you if you aren’t doing enough emails. Not taking into account the 100+ calls you take every day. Expected to be on multiple chats, the phone and work through emails at the exact same time with 30 second wrap up at the end of a call. The team is cliquey and if you aren’t a favourite you aren’t offered overtime and you are ostracised from the team. Private calls on teams so they can shout at you and discussions about staff members in front of everyone. Horrific team to work for.

Pros

Zero

Cons

Disorganised and not using nursing principles on own staff

Empathy, organisation, communication and appreciation are unfortunately missing. I have never known a more disorganised institution for placement planning and student /staff organisation. In addition there are several very negative and uncaring individuals who need to be redeployed.

Pros

One or two wonderful staff

Cons

Need to practice what they preach in terms of mental health care for their own staff and students.

Productive and fun workplace

I have had multiple temporary jobs working for the university, as well as the job I am in now which is working as a Clearing Operative. I have been in this role since May 2021. The team is managed exceptionally well. The training was very thorough and if we need(ed) any assistance our supervisors would be there with open arms. Coming into this job, as I am quite an anxious person, was scary for me. However, from the very first day and every day since I was met with extremely friendly, welcoming colleagues. My colleagues, supervisors, and boss work extremely hard to make sure everyone feels included, and that if someone has a question or query, everyone helps where they can. I have learnt so much during my time here, have thoroughly enjoyed it, and it feels like a second family.

Pros

banter

Cons

there aren't any - it's quality

Best job I've been in

This is absolutely the best job I've ever had. The supervisors are all wonderful, and they actually care about you. It's a really great team, the banter is brilliant, and everyone is super supportive of each other. Started as just a job, but quickly became my closest friends and a place that makes me feel like I belong. Its such a healthy and productive environment. As someone who struggles with their mental health, this is the best place to be. The manager is so understanding and genuinely cares about the team. I couldn't ask for a better job. Highly recommend.

Pros

Great work environment, supportive team

Cons

N/a

Productive, Fun Secure work place

I've worked clearing for many years and the sense of belonging to a team, the way the university pulls together at this time is fantastic. It is the best time of year to work for this place. Loved it every year that I have worked

Pros

Team culture

Cons

more food

Extremely lovely place to work.

I worked in the University's Clearing department whilst studying for my degree. The department was well run and I was part of a really supportive, friendly and kind team. Management were always there to help if I ever needed them and appreciated every single member of the team. I cannot put into words how supportive the University of Derby is as an employer. Would highly recommend anyone to take a position here.

Pros

great atmosphere, supportive management, pay.

Cons

none.

Had great temp jobs (except Clearing one )

I was a student here. I worked doing a few assignments through their student employment agency . Always loved every job I had . I thought I had it good until I worked for clearing. WFH, not very good training, left to find out everything. Managers only spoke to you to ask how many you had completed. Toxic culture within this department. Felt isolated & ostracised. So I left. Its a shame as all the other departments were amazing. Its a shame the clearing department let it all down .

Pros

Wfh

Cons

No proper training, micro managed, no support

A great place to work

Great team, always happy to help eachother out when needed. Excellent work life balance and plenty of opportunities to learn new skills. I would definitely recommend working for this employer.

Productive & collaborative

The University has lots to offer staff but it's the old adage, you get out what you put in. In my experience, if you work hard, embody the values and take advantage of all the opportunities that are on offer such training, accreditations, mentorships etc, then it's a very rewarding place to work. I think its a great place to work to really develop and hone your skillset as you are encouraged come up with new ideas and given a good portion of autonomy in role which is great for the CV.The culture is shifting for the better and with that not all staff want to shift with it, which is at times disheartening. However, those that want to make the University an amazing place to be for students and staff are by far in the majority.I have been incredibly proud to work at the university over the last year, seeing colleagues push through to deliver fantastic work during a difficult year with the pandemic and putting our students at the forefront of all we do.

Pros

Variety in role, lots of training and supportive colleagues

Cons

Bureaucratic processes at times

Working as a lecturer

Worked there for nearly 8yrs. No rewards for bring a conscientious, hard working employee - just more work heaped upon you until you simply cannot cope anymore. Be aware this workplace expects you to complete an excessive amount of admin along with your teaching duties which makes the job simply unbearable. Managers don't have a clue, rest of the staff are lovely.

Pros

Cons

no breaks, no life, poor pay

N/a

Was a really nice job. The students followed instructions and showed maturity. With the help of the senior staff they help you get around and teach you important traits to undertake when leading a team

Fun, productive and relaxed workplace

I loved it there, amazing people, it feels like you are a student. A relaxed place to work, with different fun events happening all the time. It is nice as they have different places you can eat.

Pros

everything

Fun workplace

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with other students in order to enhance the student experience. I also enjoyed creating and managing social media campaigns.

Pros

Staff discount

Supportive, rewarding and a great place to develop your skills

University of Derby is an organisation that genuinely cares about your career development. I am always encouraged to ' think outside the box' and am supported by senior management to make impactful changes to my departments processes. They keep us well- informed on sector and local challenges and welcome our ideas. Having worked in private sector for most of my career, I can finally say I feel valued and like I have true job security ( and great holiday and pension!) I'd highly recommend people consider Derby Uni for their next career move - you might be surprised what they have to offer!

My time being employed was short at University of Derby, but I was instantly welcomed as part of the team. The job itself provided plenty of challenges as well as a strong team to help along the way. I would certainly consider working for them again, if the opportunity arose.

A great environment to develop your skills.

The University of Derby is a great environment to progress and develop your skills. They offer a lot of training opportunities, and the culture is challenging yet rewarding.

Pros

Good working environment, opportunities to really make a difference.

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive.

Amazing Place

I have liked every minute in the University of Derby as a Full Time Masters Student. Amazing time with amazing Lecturers. Very supportive environment.

very fun and exciting

every event I work is different and fun, the pay is great for the shifts we do. The management are very nice and helpful and care about all there staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Derby. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Derby with

University of Derby reviews by location

Learn about University of Derby in popular locations