UNIVERSITY OF EAST ANGLIA

UNIVERSITY OF EAST ANGLIA Employee Reviews

Although it was a short job, I had fun and proactive shifts and was able to make new contacts with my colleagues. We were paid above minimum wage and had good training.
Student support is now run by an agency based in Manchester. There is no support for workers on campus and the appropriate agency staff are difficult to reach on the phone. The agency is not run well at all and the pay is very low. Communication is very poor. I had to wait months to be paid for the work I did because their system is so bad. This affects the service provided to the students, and I'm fairly sure the reason one of my students dropped out of studies is because he was not getting the support he needed, which was down to the university and the agency not doing their jobs.
Pros
Near to where I live, so when I travelled to work only to find out I wasn't needed (nobody communicated this to me), at least I didn't have far to travel home again.
Cons
Very bad communication
Ambiente de trabajo dinámico y satisfactorio. Facilitan formación previa y un seguimiento de tu trabajo.
Everyone anxious about their job role, will tell on one another, lack of loyalty, everyone will stick there to get a pension. Lack of geographic mobility and therefore of ideas. Very Norwich.
Jeg var altid omgiver af ligesindede der heletiden ønskede at udvide deres vides. Der var også god støtte fra ledelsen.
During my student years I worked at the SU shop. It was a nice place with a great work atmosphere. I had to actively deliver great customer service and carry out all necessary shop based activities.
This was a student job. Paid fairly and work was enjoyable if disorganised. You just have to throw yourself into it and be as helpful as you can. The problems were not difficult to overcome and you had limited responsibility.
Good salary Good environment to work in as a student Good communication between students workers and employers Easy to manage shifts Free lunches for applicant days
A reasonable place to work if looking for work/life balance and reasonable pay. Management can be poor in some areas and there is little chance of promotion opportunities.
I have been a student here and have worked part-time for several positions. UEA is wonderful! I always wanted to have a chance to come back here. Hope to see you soon.
The people vary from shift to shift. Recent management change due to poor quality so department should improve. The pay, pension and working standards are good. 12 hour shifts are not good for you though in the long term.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Shifts
Worked as support tutor while studying - really great. Brilliant opportunity since I was able to use this experience in applying for my PGCE. Learned a lot!
Working with students, for students. There are plenty of campaigns and plenty of opportunities for change. This was a great place to work and payed very fairly.
Very good to work for if you're a student, takes timetable into consideration, good wage, very flexible. Unfortunately quite competitive because of good location and salary.
UEA is an amazing place to study. You are made to feel completely at home. The amazing staff in the drama department were extremely supportive and helped me achieve my goal of getting a first.
Management are good and caring about their staff. Not much scope for career progression, but job security is good. Decent team-culture. Recent events putting pressure on staff, but they are doing their best.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Mis-communication between departments, poor image
As volunteers we were given a lot of responsibility but also really well supported. We were able to attend the symposium which really helped my academic growth.
A relaxed and fun job which is very sociable and customer orientated. A great workplace allowing opportunities for independent work and teamwork. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers.
I was able to sign up for the shifts that I wanted to do, as long as I reached the minimum of 24 hours per year. The pay is very good and includes holiday pay and the shifts were often quite fun.
This job was flexible and enjoyable for many reasons, you were able to work with friends, choose appropriate hours and there were gaps in work time where you could focus on your studies.
Pros
Social environment
Cons
Often little to do
As a Team Leader I supported a team of administrative assistants to provide support for postgraduate taught students and undergraduate students. Daily queries were dealt with via telephone, email and correspondence. The UEA is a good place to work and the salary is very fair. Benefits include extra university holidays at Easter and Christmas. You have a Staff Association to join and the Sportspark for a fee. Good training is given with regard to university IT systems and Microsoft packages. The work can be varied and this provides job satisfaction.
Pros
A good location, fair salary
Cons
Some weekend work may be required, parking is at a premium