University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Employee Reviews

A great place to work. Had my PhD there and then my current job as postdoctoral researcher. I am involved in research and teaching. The University of Edinburgh is a great place for both.
Don't take a fixed term contract here and watch out for the USS pension which is worthless unless you do more than 2 years. Treated as a cheap contract resource not as a staff member. No training, no performance reviews, no progression and none of the other 'employee' benefits.
Pros
Cons
Environment, Ethos.
Je n'ai pas grand chose à dire, mon expérience à été superbe. J'y ai rencontré des gens super et compréhensible et patients.Je suis arrivé et je ne parlais pas un mot d'anglais et maintenant mon Anglais et meilleurs que mon Français et c'est en partie grâce aux gens avec qui j'ai travaillée.J'ai vécu une bonne expérience et je le souhaite et conseils à d'autres.
Pros
On finissait de bonheurs l'après midi
Cons
Je n'en n'ai pas
A terrible place to work, no consideration for staff welfare. Management only concerned about their own jobs. No job satisfaction. Just stress!Treated badly from day one!
The University is the worst place so far I have worked in, the managers are straight bad who doesn't care about you, if they will assingn enough hours for everyone to make a living if there's no enough bussiness and allways having favourites no matter how messed up they are. They never use natural products all comes in bags and the food quality is awfull. Just avoid
Pros
good salary if you get the hours
Cons
All is not payment
I am pleased to work at University of Edinburgh. Its a great place overall. Work culture is pretty flexible and people are very helpful around you. Edinburgh is a lovely city to live in with friendly Scottish people.
Pros
Pretty flexible working hours
Cons
You can work for a leading university with top rankling in research and innovation. You can develop your ideas in collaborative manner with the academics. Teaching and labs are out of standing.
Pros
Collaboration
Cons
unknown
I was a Teaching Assistant with the University of Edinburgh. I enjoyed my work. Teaching workload is not very heavy. Marking is more painful than teaching.
A reliable place to work, you will get enough breaks in between your work hour. I learned good communication skills and team leader skills. The management really professional and looks after all staff.
Enjoyed my time here. Good supervisors, who encouraged me to go to conferences, design my own experiments, and write papers. Also had good courses to do alongside the PhD.
Stable work environment, the most enjoyable part of the job is engaging with students and fellow staff from around the world. It's a space where ideas are welcomed and training is available.
Augment bionics: Working alongside the Electrical and mechanical engineering team, as a product designer, my job was to help with CAD Design and renderings, silicone moulds in the iterations of the prosthetic arm to allow for more aesthetically pleasing exterior and using as little material as possible for sustainability. This work allows me to learn more about collaborative work, in a fast-paced environment given that at the time, we were on a tight deadline, chasing to finish the parts for specified time. Photo editor and photographer: This was a job I took for leisure purposes as I also enjoy taking and editing photos in portrait mode, and assign others for their respective causes.
There is a prevalent culture of independent work ethic, i.e. you are aware of the expectations and you are mostly left to fulfil those without people looking over your shoulder. Management is always mindful of one's personal circumstances and they are always accommodating.
I enjoyed my work here and the pay is above living wage. There is a good pention and the interview was quick and based on work related tasks. I would recommend to a friend.
Extremely friendly environment to work in. All staff interested in work being carried out and collaborating where possible. Lots of interesting and ground-breaking things going on all the time made it an exciting place to work.
I enjoy working at the university people are friendly we all work very hard at keeping the buildings clean we all take pride in our work and getting recognition from lecturers and students alike saying how helpful we are and how clean their office and building s are really gives the cleaning staff a boost.
Really enjoyable place to work, staff, employer and city is all great and would go back in a heartbeat. Management of projects is a thoroughly thought out process
Surrounded by researchers from all backgrounds all with a lot of time. However because there are so many others progression can be difficult as projects also seem to be specific. Great management
Typical days allowed for independent study and lab work, worked closely with professors and PhD students to achieve project goals. Low stress and flexible hours.
Excellent Demonstrating Opportunuties for Postgraduate Students. As a PhD student in the school of Chemistry at Edinburgh University the opportunity to get payed experience teaching undergraduates is invaluable.
I was in it for a week as a high school work placement. For some reason indeed is making me review it when I don't have much to say, but yeah, it was cool and the people were passionate