University of Exeter
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

University of Exeter Employee Reviews

United Kingdom116 reviews

universitycampusstudentroleflexibleenvironmentskillstaff

small arm of a large company

Working hospitality for the university is a fair role, it paid more than the same kind of role outside of a large company, but the major drawback is although the company has a huge wealth of resources at its back it does not funnel much at all in the hospitality trade, they try to run as far as possible with as little as possible and you just get a little burned out by working full days without a paid lunch break and limited positions beyond the entry level assistant/ CSA role

My line manager and the higher ups appreciated you as a person and not a number.Hybrid working is available and good on site facilities.Good location Good pay structure

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Commute

Insights into University of Exeter

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things

Exploitative work

The university provides mostly temporary and/or zero hour academic contracts. There is no job security whatsoever. The university is one big business. Students are treated as clients/consumers and the client is always right. This does not foster a learning environment. Academics need to adhere to a certain ideological culture and whoever does not, he/she is quickly pushed out.

Fantastic people, highly recommend it

Great University to work with, people and general staff are very kind. On a less positive note, the IT department can be slow and the administration often takes a while to answer questions.

Typical University Role

I had a lot of fun working here, work-life balance was fantastic. Management structure was too large which made everything incredibly inefficient, this became quite frustrating.

A good place to start but wouldn’t recommend staying

Below average pay for skill sets. Pros: 9-5 Monday to Friday. Sick and maternity pay generous and annual leave allowance good. Cons: lots of micro management and negative environment. Poor Covid-19 management. Very strict with procedures even in exceptional circumstances. (E.g student has gone through a trauma/illness and is still expected to pay) Makes it a negative environment to work in. Very much business over well-being of staff and students.

Hours are perfect, always meet someone new

I work nights here during term time, so having time off during the holidays with my family is perfect. Since the covid restrictions were relaxed, my job has become far less stressful. My immediate managers always support me, just wish I could do more hours. Interacting is always interesting, especially in the early hours

Pros

Lots of time off, always something different

Cons

Pay could be better

Enjoyable

I enjoy my job, but the culture is too fragmented and too rank and file. Everything has to be escalated up, then de-escalated down and the cogs turn slowly and there is a culture of secrecy from the top. No straight answers to questions. Management would make good politicians.

Pros

Relaxed, flexible.

Cons

No perks, weekly rotas being released Sunday nights, secretive management

Nice place to work

Good benefits, comprehensive management, 39 days of holidays, sick days, early start, overtime, relaxed place to work, but if do you want to have more working hours it will be really hard to get it, the job is routinary but you work in your own and sometimes it's better if do you like be alone and not be distracted

Pros

early start

Cons

not enough hours available if you work as a part timer

Excellent

I am currently working within the sports department as an operational assistant. I have received plenty of training and aware of further training opportunities to progress my career. The duty and operational managers are all supportive and listen to any ideas and suggestions to help improve the facilities. All the staff work well as a team

Pros

Great team, lots of holiday allowance, good communication

Cons

Occasional early starts

Great employer

Great employer to work for - lots of amazing benefits and great teams to work with! Exciting organisation who value employees.

Pros

Benefits - annual leave, pension, hybrid working etc

Cons

Proactiveness - development

Great place to work, not much room for progression

Great people, flexible hours. Management could do with improving. Good hours and pay, everyone is treated fairly. Academia tend to have temporary contracts so no job security

Pros

Flexible hours, good training, good work-life balance, good salary and benefits

Cons

Management aren’t the best at communicating, short contracts don’t leave room to progress

Great employment benefits, nice campus environment, freedom to develop skills and work individually, but disorganised structure and lack or direction from management.

Great place to work as an intern.

I worked as an intern and found it really enjoyable. I mostly worked with academic staff and University's EDI team, and everyone was really helpful, collaborative, and approachable.

This is a great place to work. My colleagues are highly motivated and driven individuals which cultures a very productive working environment. Everybody is invested in one another's success. Highly recommend working here.

Pros

Dynamic working experience

Cons

Sometimes hard to switch off

good pay and benefits, too much misconduct

i was ask to steal £20,000 of grant money, made to make invoice payments that were later changed, communication was poor at best. it was super fun place to work though got paid a good sum for not doing very much at all had lots of free time, and could taken days off whenever i wanted.

Pros

benefits, pension, pay

Cons

misconduct, communication.

Professional, positive and supportive work environment

All duties and responsibilities were preplanned with a support structure on hand to answer or assist in all work-related activities and tasks. Effective coaching and training were available throughout the contract period, and management encouraged teachers to collaborate, discuss and assist each other where necessary. The office culture was one of open and fair, with ample opportunity to offer an opinion or a solution or indeed to question.

Pros

Involving people culture

Cons

short term contract

Run like a business, not an academic institution

Not treating employees very well. All management and benefits. Extremely stressful and lack of resources in many departments. Admin staff continuously rotating positions and academic staff strongly stressed.

What I learned

I learnt how to work well in a team and especially about getting to know and work with new people. It was a great way to learn key skills which I can take to other aspects of life.

Interesting job

It is hard work but interesting. I learned what it's like to serve students from different countries with different cultures and customs. I learned that people can have allergies to some foods. Some are intolerant to glucose or gluten. I learned how to combine food and how to store it. The work team is friendly and ready to help. At the end of work we have lunch or dinner with colleagues and share our impressions.

Pros

Free lunches or dinners.

Cons

I do not have a contract with fixed hours per week.

student

I went to uni here and really recommend it, really fun time lots of great people and the course was very well structured and informative and gave me a good grounding for employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Exeter. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Exeter with

University of Exeter reviews by location

Learn about University of Exeter in popular locations