University of Exeter

University of Exeter Employee Reviews

All duties and responsibilities were preplanned with a support structure on hand to answer or assist in all work-related activities and tasks. Effective coaching and training were available throughout the contract period, and management encouraged teachers to collaborate, discuss and assist each other where necessary. The office culture was one of open and fair, with ample opportunity to offer an opinion or a solution or indeed to question.
Pros
Involving people culture
Cons
short term contract
Not treating employees very well. All management and benefits. Extremely stressful and lack of resources in many departments. Admin staff continuously rotating positions and academic staff strongly stressed.
I learnt how to work well in a team and especially about getting to know and work with new people. It was a great way to learn key skills which I can take to other aspects of life.
It is hard work but interesting. I learned what it's like to serve students from different countries with different cultures and customs. I learned that people can have allergies to some foods. Some are intolerant to glucose or gluten. I learned how to combine food and how to store it. The work team is friendly and ready to help. At the end of work we have lunch or dinner with colleagues and share our impressions.
Pros
Free lunches or dinners.
Cons
I do not have a contract with fixed hours per week.
I went to uni here and really recommend it, really fun time lots of great people and the course was very well structured and informative and gave me a good grounding for employment.
Very flexible and well paid, good for a student and was able to pursue my studies while earning. Had good training and support from managers and very relaxed working environment
This job provides great flexibility, allowing you to choose work to fit around your studies. Working at a variety of different event, such as open days, campus tour or delivering session in schools across the South-West of England means you are always using and learning different skills.
Diverse range of academics on one campus, focusing mainly on whole organism biology. Opportunities for networking and making connections outside of the university.
Very nice place to work in terms of the people and the physical campus environment. May become more stressful depending on the security of the revenue stream in future. Good to work for a well-regarded institution.
While working for University of Exeter, I only received the training. I applied for many other jobs but was only given one shift. They hire too many people for their work and therefore I would advise going for a different job if you require regular income.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Exeter?
They want to be a top 10 University and are investing heavily in people and technology to do this. Lots of areas to improve but overall a great place to work
Pros
Beautiful campus
Great science occurs despite administration trying to hold it up at every opportunity. Great people. Great equipment. Management tries to interrupt this at every opportunity.
I work as PTA at the Uni of Exeter and it is a fantastic job and would recommend anyone doing a postgrad here to do the same. The rate of pay is very good and the work environment and culture is second to none. The E-Claims and expenses system is easy to use and other members of staff (academic, technical and administrative) and students are friendly.
My employers are all very friendly and eager to help if I come across a problem. I get along well with my colleagues and enjoy working here very much. I enjoy working with the kids and encouraging them to pursue a tertiary education.
The university favours those already employed with them but the benefits are good and they have flexible working patterns. There is a wide variety of jobs available at any time.
My honest review. The UNIVERSITY is not a bad place to work ,and its all about how to improve and bring an overall customer experience to the customers and your team .
I enjoy the experience of working in the classroom alongside working from home online. Blended-learning is way to achieve in the working environment at Duryard, which I've done on a contractual basis
while studying at uni if you can get a job for the uni its ideal as its flexible well paid and right on your door step. The work isn't hard but still has you occupied. Overall a good way for some extra money at uni.
I went through 4 restructures within 15 years and decided to leave to try something new the only thing I miss is the amount of holiday you were entitled to take
Wide variety of jobs that fit very well around a busy timetable or voluntary commitments, with very good pay for a job of this type. The nature of the allocation of jobs through a central calendar allows you to cut down on work at busy times, or take on more when you can.
It was fun working with students from different cultural backgrounds. Learning about and trying to solve problems students were facing at University helped develop my communication and problem-solving skills. I really enjoyed sharing my experiences with students and how I solved the problems I faced. I was able to learn a lot about people from different countries and their approaches to dealing with unfortunate situations.