University of Exeter

United Kingdom110 reviews

Insights into University of Exeter

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging

Hours are perfect, always meet someone new

I work nights here during term time, so having time off during the holidays with my family is perfect. Since the covid restrictions were relaxed, my job has become far less stressful. My immediate managers always support me, just wish I could do more hours. Interacting is always interesting, especially in the early hours

Pros

Lots of time off, always something different

Cons

Pay could be better

Enjoyable

I enjoy my job, but the culture is too fragmented and too rank and file. Everything has to be escalated up, then de-escalated down and the cogs turn slowly and there is a culture of secrecy from the top. No straight answers to questions. Management would make good politicians.

Pros

Relaxed, flexible.

Cons

No perks, weekly rotas being released Sunday nights, secretive management

Nice place to work

Good benefits, comprehensive management, 39 days of holidays, sick days, early start, overtime, relaxed place to work, but if do you want to have more working hours it will be really hard to get it, the job is routinary but you work in your own and sometimes it's better if do you like be alone and not be distracted

Pros

early start

Cons

not enough hours available if you work as a part timer

Excellent

I am currently working within the sports department as an operational assistant. I have received plenty of training and aware of further training opportunities to progress my career. The duty and operational managers are all supportive and listen to any ideas and suggestions to help improve the facilities. All the staff work well as a team

Pros

Great team, lots of holiday allowance, good communication

Cons

Occasional early starts

Great employer

Great employer to work for - lots of amazing benefits and great teams to work with! Exciting organisation who value employees.

Pros

Benefits - annual leave, pension, hybrid working etc

Cons

Proactiveness - development

Great place to work, not much room for progression

Great people, flexible hours. Management could do with improving. Good hours and pay, everyone is treated fairly. Academia tend to have temporary contracts so no job security

Pros

Flexible hours, good training, good work-life balance, good salary and benefits

Cons

Management aren’t the best at communicating, short contracts don’t leave room to progress

Great employment benefits, nice campus environment, freedom to develop skills and work individually, but disorganised structure and lack or direction from management.

Great place to work as an intern.

I worked as an intern and found it really enjoyable. I mostly worked with academic staff and University's EDI team, and everyone was really helpful, collaborative, and approachable.

This is a great place to work. My colleagues are highly motivated and driven individuals which cultures a very productive working environment. Everybody is invested in one another's success. Highly recommend working here.

Pros

Dynamic working experience

Cons

Sometimes hard to switch off

good pay and benefits, too much misconduct

i was ask to steal £20,000 of grant money, made to make invoice payments that were later changed, communication was poor at best. it was super fun place to work though got paid a good sum for not doing very much at all had lots of free time, and could taken days off whenever i wanted.

Pros

benefits, pension, pay

Cons

misconduct, communication.

Professional, positive and supportive work environment

All duties and responsibilities were preplanned with a support structure on hand to answer or assist in all work-related activities and tasks. Effective coaching and training were available throughout the contract period, and management encouraged teachers to collaborate, discuss and assist each other where necessary. The office culture was one of open and fair, with ample opportunity to offer an opinion or a solution or indeed to question.

Pros

Involving people culture

Cons

short term contract

Run like a business, not an academic institution

Not treating employees very well. All management and benefits. Extremely stressful and lack of resources in many departments. Admin staff continuously rotating positions and academic staff strongly stressed.

What I learned

I learnt how to work well in a team and especially about getting to know and work with new people. It was a great way to learn key skills which I can take to other aspects of life.

Interesting job

It is hard work but interesting. I learned what it's like to serve students from different countries with different cultures and customs. I learned that people can have allergies to some foods. Some are intolerant to glucose or gluten. I learned how to combine food and how to store it. The work team is friendly and ready to help. At the end of work we have lunch or dinner with colleagues and share our impressions.

Pros

Free lunches or dinners.

Cons

I do not have a contract with fixed hours per week.

student

I went to uni here and really recommend it, really fun time lots of great people and the course was very well structured and informative and gave me a good grounding for employment.

Good job for a student

Very flexible and well paid, good for a student and was able to pursue my studies while earning. Had good training and support from managers and very relaxed working environment

Great Student Ambassador Role

This job provides great flexibility, allowing you to choose work to fit around your studies. Working at a variety of different event, such as open days, campus tour or delivering session in schools across the South-West of England means you are always using and learning different skills.

Relaxed

Diverse range of academics on one campus, focusing mainly on whole organism biology. Opportunities for networking and making connections outside of the university.

Friendly and Supportive working environment

Very nice place to work in terms of the people and the physical campus environment. May become more stressful depending on the security of the revenue stream in future. Good to work for a well-regarded institution.

Good environment but impossible to get shifts

While working for University of Exeter, I only received the training. I applied for many other jobs but was only given one shift. They hire too many people for their work and therefore I would advise going for a different job if you require regular income.

Progressive

They want to be a top 10 University and are investing heavily in people and technology to do this. Lots of areas to improve but overall a great place to work

Pros

Beautiful campus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Exeter. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement