University of Glasgow
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

University of Glasgow Employee Reviews

United Kingdom100 reviews

Flexible and great work life balance but stressful with no clear leadership

The university environment means you have flexible hours and a relatively good work life balance. However, workload is heavy and there isn't much support available in my experience.

environnement agréable

personnes à l'écoute et forte autonomie. Personnes très compétentes donc expérience enrichissante

Insights into University of Glasgow

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

review summary

These quality guidelines really aren't the best. theyre far too easy to circumvent. maybe next time you'll have a quality guideline which isnt awful lol.

Best office job I ever had. Great relaxing atmosphere. Friendly colleagues. Very nice location with access to Buyers Road with good shops and restaurants. Work processes straight forward and well organised.

Pros

Nice location

Typical academic environment

The pay and benefits are the same as other large universities, and the problems are the same. Lack of consistent funding and short term contracts make academia unstable and precarious, especially for ECRs and this is true at Glasgow.

Pros

Opportunities for networking

Cons

Competitive and elitist academic work culture

Great work life balance.

Really enjoyed working here, typical shifts were 8-4 or 10-6 with the odd weekend or overnight (which you were paid extra for). Basic pay is ok but you can earn much more elsewhere, it really was the work life balance that attracted me. They also have a very generous pension scheme and great ill health cover.

Pros

Good hours, supportive management.

Cons

Lack of internal promotion.

Great work colleague but long hours

Fantastic work colleagues who were very supportive of one another and across the University culture of wanting to do the right thing. It was however difficult you achieve your work in contractual hours constantly working extra hours just to keep a float. Management said the right things but didn't always implement into working reality.

Pros

Great and supportuve work colleagues and clients

Cons

Long hours and poor management

Very educational work place but treats new staff badly

Does not treat new temp staff very well.Was promised career progression and a full time contract that never came.Was paid minimum wage Poor management and lack of training

Pros

Interesting work- learned alot about animals

Cons

Poor wage, lack of training and lack of career development

If not a yes person you woont fit in

You will get bullied, there is lots of racists work there ,and it's not how good you are its who you know ,theres more family in there than friends, as in one family has at least 4 member working for them ,and they get way with everything

Pros

No free lunch

Cons

Monday to Friday

An okay place to work

There was a lot to learn having never worked in a university before as there are a lot of niche terms and jargon to understand, however once you learn it you find yourself using it constantly! There were some good people with innovative ideas who were trying to make changes to processes however unfortunately there was resistance to change from others from all areas not just within recruitment. University of Glasgow is a beautiful place and so are the surroundings in the west end of Glasgow.

Pros

Good colleagues, lovely buildings

Cons

Very rigid 9-5 culture compared to more flexi approach in other organisations

Buen ambiente de trabajo

El trabajo allí se hizo muy ameno, ya que, la política de trabajo no resulta asfixiante para el trabajador. El comportamiento y trato entre compañeros es muy abierto y amable.

Best

Great people would highly recommended to work, diverse people. Hr system needs improvement It system works great. Staff have limited health benefits.

Really fantastic team leader

I worked with a really caring team lead who explained the ropes to myself and my colleagues and who was really flexible. He didn't shout at people but kindly explained what needed to be done.

Productive Workplace nice atmopshere

Everyone knew what they had to do and worked diligently to get it done. Nice relaxed atmosphere when the work was done as well. Lots of support for the staff.

Excellent working environment

Highly recommend, I started as a temp through a recruitment agency and secured a permanent post within 1 year. Good pay, great work life balance, supportive managers and excellent benefits.

Great place to study

I have conducted my phd in chemistry at the university of glasgow. It depends largely on the management style of your phd supervisor, but working hours can be quite flexible and you can conduct your own research freely.

Great Experience

Working alongside university of glasgow to make student's life easier was definetly good, they were very responsive to all the complaints and they still are.

Toxic environment for Fixed Term Contract Staff

Despite a university policy to no longer employ staff on fixed term contracts the university continues to do so, provides little support for such staff and disposes of them when convenient. In my last year I was not even invited to discuss my upcoming redundancy with my line manager and was invited to supply a letter of resignation (which I refused) as "HR needed it", even though I was made redundant. I'm not sure if this was some sort of attempt to swindle me out of my statutory redundancy pay but I wouldn't put it past them. I was made completely unappreciated for all my hard work. For example, all permanent staff leaving the department would receive a card signed by everyone else wishing them all the best in the future. They didn't bother to do this for any of the temporary staff.

A lack of professionalism

Had the potential to be a great job, but the culture allows too many people to do almost no work for years on end. The hardest part of the job is having to perform work that's been left or done inadequately by others. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting a lot of people and not being stuck in the office all day, at least as an IT technician this is the case. Management that are in jobs either due to being the beneficiaries of discrimination or just automatically kept on because of time they've served. Yearly performance assessments being falsified to keep useless workers in place. I worked in IT. I left on voluntary redundancy that was designed to get rid of useless high earners. The trouble is, there were many lower paid workers who left, simply because they had had enough of other staff stealing a salary and them being overloaded with work as a result. The majority of the most talented staff I worked with left. A real shame. This must be costing the university a fortune in wasted salaries.

Pros

Good pension scheme

Cons

Terrible management, too much skiving.

Environnement de travail agréable

Environnement de travail agréable. Beaucoup d’opportunités d'apprendre

Revamp

Could be a really good place to work of they done an evaluation on some management. They dont treat their Administration workers very well, been 11 different staff in school office in 2 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Glasgow. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement