University of Greenwich

University of Greenwich Employee Reviews

Great Experience!

The team at The Generator (previously known as the I3Centre) started with being a group of mentors, but has now become a "little family". In this company/team I never hit a plateau, I constantly continue to grow professionally, and personally, for that, I am forever grateful!

Pros

The People

Cons

Covid

Always been supported by this university, it's a great place to work. However promotions are limited and given priority to big names from external universities.

fun workplace

I am very happy that I did my school therethere are very friendly and helpfulI was very thankful for every teacher I found theremanagement niceculture goodno hardenjoy all

Pros

nice hours teaching

Cons

anything bad

Nice place to study and work

I was a student at the University. It was a nice place to study with very helpful lecturers. the experience working with my colleagues was amazing.i would love to be there again.

Fun work experience

Very friendly people and work environment, good management and opportunities for developing work ethics and skills, great pay but vary low hours which is not great.

little support to career progression

The university has the potential to be a great working environment. At present this is yet to be realised. More support could be offered to early career researchers and more generally for those seeking career progression.

An extremely responsible position,

Involved working with the public visits, providing help and assistance to students, including on site residencies. Being the out of hours representative for the University of Greenwich with delegated authority to make decisions.

Lack of career progression

Mixed culture of very ambitious and the very 'sloth' like. Quite a cliquey place to work and very little chance of progression if management feels you'd be hard to replace in your current job.

Insightful placement year

Worked for a year on placement in the University of Greenwich Marketing team where I completed presentations, planned competitions, co-operated with other teams to deliver effectively on the Open Days and Taster Days and promoted the university to roughly 6000 international students for next academic year for Business School through: email marketing, SMS messages, and targeted Facebook Ads.

buffer job...

This is a large university therefore I can only talk about the experience in my faculty/department. Engagement of colleagues varies widely with more weight towards providing a good experience to students. Actually, everything is very much about maximising the student experience, frequently in detriment of the staff. With exceptions, students are neither the most engaged nor the most brilliant which makes teaching very much frustrating in comparison to top-tier universities. Staff is generally left behind... no intellectual support, no extra benefits, poor salary (relatively to other London-based universities), no intellectual challenges. Research-oriented staff does not get benefits and frequently more junior colleagues without a strong research track-record get promoted and get scholarships for their phd students... There is generally no collegiality or collaborative environment, and definitely no minimum politeness, if you ever get responses to inquiries from most colleagues. Of course there are some excellent staff who are exceptions. To be fair, it can be a good working place if one likes to focus on teaching and does not care about poor pay or exciting job. About 90% of colleagues said they want to resign as soon as possible. Though most stay anyways (everyone has its own reasons...), I've seen many excellent people leaving during the few years I've worked there. The values of the university became clear once I decided to resign. I got completely ignored by the management and admin colleagues, and everything became difficult to finalise. Luckily, some friendly -

Excellent summer job

Working at the university was very a enjoyable as I could take on the role for customer service and learn new skills and a new like for helping customers. It is also helped me gain more confidence being able to work here as I was treated very well by all staff and made many new friends with the colleagues working there. It was only a temporary summer job but I thought it was amazing!

Lots of roles were available. Management were ok but hard to get hold of sometimes. Travel wasn't always easy, often had to use own transport. Didn't like the uniform, wasn't comfortable.

Fun Enviroment

Collecting information from other peers about what can be improved to increase student satisfaction then our reporting findings in fortnightly meetings.

Flexible hours and decent pay

Pros -Flexible hours across the year -Variety of roles from open days to office work Cons -Disorganisation of the management -Working beyond the designated hours is sometimes forces

Excellent institution

It was an easy process and everyone was really nice. Got my feedback within a day of the interview and I was seen by more than one person. The interview was both theory and practical questions

Pros

Excellent working environment

Cons

The contract was too short

I always had people to support or properly explain what shall I do, job was really great, I did loved what I have done there. One day I am working as receptionist, next time I am assisting the lecturer and helping students with modelling software, and another day I might do something else...

Pros

Good wage based on work load

Cons

Not full time

Unstable

An unstable workplace may change in the academic staff. Closed-door policies nor involvment of the staff. It feels like a college. It lost most of the research-active academics.

Flexible and fun workplace

Typical day at work would include representing the University of Greenwich during Open days and HE Fairs. Great training opportunities and a fund environment.

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

at times a bit disorganised

Qwerty

Good pay, good spread of work which is useful to get every task completed in time

Very fun to work

Good place to work and a bonus that you can choose working hours to accommodate your studies, meeting new people and great chance to expand professional network

Pros

Free lunch, chance to expand your professional network

Cons

0 hours contract

Ok

I studied a 4 year sandwich degree. This involved 3 years of classes and a year out in industry. The final year required students to produce a final year report.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Greenwich. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4