University of Leeds
Happiness score is 62 out of 100

University of Leeds Employee Reviews

United Kingdom200 reviews

Excellent work/life balance and flexibility

Excellent holiday package, 25 days per year plus approx. 15.5 additional close days per year.Really good flexible working as well.Slow to move to using laptops instead of desktops and the IT department is a bit clunky (the service desk staff are fantastic though!).

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Slow to keep up with working practices and clunky approvals processes.

Productive and fun workplace

Pretty good, really. Good on-site facilities. Terrible parking for cars, good parking for bikes. Interesting people. Good support staff and facilities.

Insights into University of Leeds

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment

Falling rates of pay an increasing workloads

I worked in a admin role. Opportunities for training and advancement are limited. Rewarded for hard work during start of pandemic with 0% pay rise although this is negotiated nationally not just by Leeds. Staff are currently striking over poor pay, conditions and pensions which makes for an unsettling atmosphere on campus and a high turnover of staff.Academics tend to be the main focus. Support staff secondary.

Pros

Pleasant campus, flexible working

Cons

Pay falling due to below inflation pay settlements

Still a vibrant place to work, but a shadow of its former glory.

Over the past few years all staff have suffered from poor/no wage rises, marked increase in work and burn out rates. Its sad to see from a Russell Group University, although it has strong ethics, and a genuine wish to create an inclusive and fair working environment.

Pros

Plenty of job opportunities you'd expect from a large organisation.

Cons

Long hours, work loads in some areas can be punishing, politics can be draining and obstructive.

If you want communication then this is not the place for you.

You need to know a lot of information which changes and you are the last person to know. Communication is the worst that I have ever known, to say that it is a teaching University the communication between staff is shocking.

Pros

reduced bus fares.

Cons

Long hours, very little communication. You do not feel valued.

Working as a research intern, the environment is extremely positive. Direct routes to PhDs are strongly encouraged, and the job comes with plenty of opportunities.

Employee benefits

Pension Scheme / Sick Pay / Discount Schemes / Gym Privileges / Staff events etc. Also, flexible working hours & remote working is possible for some roles.

Pros

annual leave allowance

Cons

bureaucracy

Nice work-life balance

I felt like I attended a lot of meetings and spent most of the time planning or discussing work rather than getting to do some. However, it was a brilliant place to work in terms of atmosphere, HR, work-life balance, lunchtime options, location, fun benefits/social, holiday days. The pay was ok too.

Pros

Great benefits and social activities; friendly people

Cons

Lots of red tape and casual or rolling contracts

A nice varied place to work.

The University of Leeds offers many benefits to its employees, although there are several more universities with more competitive offerings. HR can be a little slow to get back to you or sort out your contract but with the majority of support staff still working from home, this is to be expected. Some processes are outdated, for example, you have to fill in a form to sign up for your pension and can email this form back to the pension department but also need to post in the copy. My managers are nice and approachable and my department is fairly relaxed. The environment can be fast-paced or slow-paced depending on the number of customers we're dealing with but there's always something to do.

Pros

£135 learning for life fund

Lovely place too work at

I had 11 years there and only left too take early retirement and wish l was still there you meet new friends and go on course's .wish l was still there

Very good.

I am happy working for University of Leeds. Work / balance is very good. I would recommend being an ambassador to other students, great team and great opportunity!

Don't expect job security or advancement

The culture varies between jobs and there is no overall will to treat everyone fairly. The same faces crop up in rotating senior management roles, having been promoted away from the latest problem they've caused, but there aren't enough junior people to keep things going. The academics are always protected before anyone else, even if support for basic tasks suffers. Micromanagement is increasing and shakeups just make the problem worse.

Pros

Student discount

Cons

Micromanagement

I enjoyed my time at the University of Leeds

I was privileged to have had the opportunity to work with very supportive managers and supervisors. The research environment is highly recommendable. Glad to have had the research opportunity in the University of Leeds.

Poor management with no/very little progression opportunities

Once you land a job, there is little room for any progression. Level gaps - nothing in between management and casual workers, with no structure allowing to step up to the middle and develop professionally. Not the best pay compensated by better holiday entitlement

Too extreme left wing for a stable working environment

Very anti LGBTQ and antisemitic workplaceExtreme left wing environment causing stress and bullying Not a great place to work if you have a disability eitherSome departments such as the Business school are excellent, professional and political free zones.Most of the rest of the departments sadly are not

Pros

1st class nursey and play scheme. Shopping, bank and many places to eat and drink

Cons

Politics

Leadership ambitions repeatedly stifled

The dean of my faculty (now retired) micro-managed too much, including controlling who was appointed to internal roles of responsibility that people were invited to apply for. He liked people who wouldn't rock the boat, so many ineffective, but nice, people were given departmental senior roles of responsibility and the potential of others wasn't nurtured and their progression was blocked. I felt under-deployed and my skills and talents stifled - this was an equality issue. I wasn't the only one to be effectively forced out, by 'stealth' (though I was aware of precisely what was going on), because my face no longer fitted. Academic colleagues in my department were for the most part professional and pleasant, but there were few friendship groups, so very little out-of-work socialising - people were colleagues, but not friends. In my previous place of work (another university) I'd had lots of friends who I sometimes socialised with. I had no trust in the integrity of either the person who was my head of department at the time or my dean of faculty.

Pros

excellent research support, excellent staff development unit, good IT services, pleasant campus, excellent libraries, lots of interesting events on campus - such as evening or lunchtime seminars

Cons

parking facilities are inadequate, the university's situated on a hill so it's a slog to walk from the station, some really cold and draughty buildings that we had to work in, pressure to accept international doctoral students who aren't up to the task

... but some animals are more equal than others

Although there are many nationalities, there are only four distinct races in the University of Leeds. In reverse order the hierarchyb1. Students (as it should be) 2. Academic staff 3. Administration and office staff 4. Service staff (security, IT etc) The students were fine and nearly always pleasant. The academics walk around like they are royalty. The admin staff are the worst to the service staff, probably because they are next in line for being the bottom of the pile. If you are in the fourth and bottom race, the academics and admin staff treat you like dirt. Often you're not even allowed into certain break areas, those in office clothes will actually lock the door in front of you to keep you out! The culture is so Big Brother and left wing, at times it was truly an Orwellian dystopia. Management will smile to your face, while stabbing you in the back.

Pros

Free student stuff, discounts. Holidays

Cons

An Insidious and menacing work culture

Fun and rewarding workplace

Amazing management and colleagues. Extremely flexible hours, I apply for the time slot that works best for me. Get paid very nicely for what I find to be not too challenging of a job. Treated really well, feel very lucky to have such a nice job with such nice people. I enjoy interacting with the prospective students and their guardians. I think this job has really helped build my confidence and people skills.

Pros

Great management

Cons

Poor management & bullying. Lack of collaboration. Too much expected in hours available to work especially in part time roles requiring home working to catch up. A culture of ‘us’ & ‘them’ with academic & non academic staff. Little training & support available when I first joined and a blame culture.

Pros

Qualify for TOTUM card, good holidays

Cons

Long hours, bullying culture

Rewarding

During my time at Leeds I was a Student Ambassador for Physics and Astronomy, the work was rewarding, fun and well paid for a student job. You could pick your hours around lectures and the work was relaxed, you also got to meet and make friends with people in different year groups.

Pros

Free lunch

Relaxed and Flexible

As an archivist, I was in a positioned where I was allowed to go at my own pace. My assignments were up to me in how to complete them, giving me a certain freedom to exercise my own solutions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Leeds. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Leeds with

University of Leeds Reviews by Location

• University of Leeds
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?