University of Leeds

University of Leeds Employee Reviews

Amazing management and colleagues. Extremely flexible hours, I apply for the time slot that works best for me. Get paid very nicely for what I find to be not too challenging of a job. Treated really well, feel very lucky to have such a nice job with such nice people. I enjoy interacting with the prospective students and their guardians. I think this job has really helped build my confidence and people skills.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Once you land a job, there is little room for any progression. Level gaps - nothing in between management and casual workers, with no structure allowing to step up to the middle and develop professionally. Not the best pay compensated by better holiday entitlement
Very anti LGBTQ and antisemitic workplaceExtreme left wing environment causing stress and bullying Not a great place to work if you have a disability eitherSome departments such as the Business school are excellent, professional and political free zones.Most of the rest of the departments sadly are not
Pros
1st class nursey and play scheme. Shopping, bank and many places to eat and drink
Cons
Politics
The dean of my faculty (now retired) micro-managed too much, including controlling who was appointed to internal roles of responsibility that people were invited to apply for. He liked people who wouldn't rock the boat, so many ineffective, but nice, people were given departmental senior roles of responsibility and the potential of others wasn't nurtured and their progression was blocked. I felt under-deployed and my skills and talents stifled - this was an equality issue. I wasn't the only one to be effectively forced out, by 'stealth' (though I was aware of precisely what was going on), because my face no longer fitted. Academic colleagues in my department were for the most part professional and pleasant, but there were few friendship groups, so very little out-of-work socialising - people were colleagues, but not friends. In my previous place of work (another university) I'd had lots of friends who I sometimes socialised with. I had no trust in the integrity of either the person who was my head of department at the time or my dean of faculty.
Pros
excellent research support, excellent staff development unit, good IT services, pleasant campus, excellent libraries, lots of interesting events on campus - such as evening or lunchtime seminars
Cons
parking facilities are inadequate, the university's situated on a hill so it's a slog to walk from the station, some really cold and draughty buildings that we had to work in, pressure to accept international doctoral students who aren't up to the task
Although there are many nationalities, there are only four distinct races in the University of Leeds. In reverse order the hierarchyb1. Students (as it should be) 2. Academic staff 3. Administration and office staff 4. Service staff (security, IT etc) The students were fine and nearly always pleasant. The academics walk around like they are royalty. The admin staff are the worst to the service staff, probably because they are next in line for being the bottom of the pile. If you are in the fourth and bottom race, the academics and admin staff treat you like dirt. Often you're not even allowed into certain break areas, those in office clothes will actually lock the door in front of you to keep you out! The culture is so Big Brother and left wing, at times it was truly an Orwellian dystopia. Management will smile to your face, while stabbing you in the back.
Pros
Free student stuff, discounts. Holidays
Cons
An Insidious and menacing work culture
Poor management & bullying. Lack of collaboration. Too much expected in hours available to work especially in part time roles requiring home working to catch up. A culture of ‘us’ & ‘them’ with academic & non academic staff. Little training & support available when I first joined and a blame culture.
Pros
Qualify for TOTUM card, good holidays
Cons
Long hours, bullying culture
During my time at Leeds I was a Student Ambassador for Physics and Astronomy, the work was rewarding, fun and well paid for a student job. You could pick your hours around lectures and the work was relaxed, you also got to meet and make friends with people in different year groups.
Pros
Free lunch
As an archivist, I was in a positioned where I was allowed to go at my own pace. My assignments were up to me in how to complete them, giving me a certain freedom to exercise my own solutions.
I spent many years working for the University in a number of roles. Generally, it was a positive experience and people worked collaboratively and effectively across teams.
The training was fun and coherent. The work environment was good and they provided us with ample support . Overall it was a very useful and skill enhancing job.
comittee member for 2 societies teddy bear hospital and psyched very much enjoy leeds is a great place university is well supported good to organise events
The University, Physics department and staff are great. It's a leading world class University and Physics department. My only criticism is that the IT services are exceptionally slow and restrictive. Leeds is also a great city to live and work in. Unfortunately, there is no job security on fixed contract post-doc work (but that's the same at every University). Although, I feel lucky to have done my post-doc work within the University of Leeds Physics department.
really enjoyable, good group of people to work with, UoL wad open to new ideas and engaging. The IT environment is going through a big cultural and environmental change which will be a benefit in years to come
It’s a great place to work. I have the freedom to work autonomously and run my team in the way I feel is most appropriate to meet our objectives. The University is large with over 8000 people working there but it is still possible to build good working relationships with colleagues.
Good but not really flexible. The pace is very slow. There is too much governance so it is hard for a project to get traction. The most enjoyable part of working at the university is the fun environment.
I did a PhD n Geophysics in the School of Earth and Environment. It is amazing how much interesting work is going on here. Given the size of the school, if you ever need to know anything, there is probably someone who can help you!
Ideal para estagiar e ganhar experiência profissional na área da docência
Always had reliable and engaging managers. Pay is really decent and hours flexible around uni if you’re studying - unlike the union, the uni prioritise your happiness and education over their demand for staff. Because of this there are lots of staff available so it can be harder to get a lot of hours work with them so better as a side job than something you rely on for rent etc
i went to university here and had to get several jobs order to pay my rent. it was quite competitive as it is a big university with lots of students. i did have fun meeting people and all of my employers were relaxed.
This is stressful work in academia. High level of admin tasks and very good planning skills required. Colleagues across University can provide support and mentoring.
There are various areas to work in within the university. It has a very disciplined work culture whilst taking care of the employees who work there. There are opportunities for people of diverse backgrounds to learn at all levels and gain experience.