University of Leeds

University of Leeds Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Very good.

I am happy working for University of Leeds. Work / balance is very good. I would recommend being an ambassador to other students, great team and great opportunity!

Don't expect job security or advancement

The culture varies between jobs and there is no overall will to treat everyone fairly. The same faces crop up in rotating senior management roles, having been promoted away from the latest problem they've caused, but there aren't enough junior people to keep things going. The academics are always protected before anyone else, even if support for basic tasks suffers. Micromanagement is increasing and shakeups just make the problem worse.

Pros

Student discount

Cons

Micromanagement

Poor management & bullying. Lack of collaboration. Too much expected in hours available to work especially in part time roles requiring home working to catch up. A culture of ‘us’ & ‘them’ with academic & non academic staff. Little training & support available when I first joined and a blame culture.

Pros

Qualify for TOTUM card, good holidays

Cons

Long hours, bullying culture

Relaxed and Flexible

As an archivist, I was in a positioned where I was allowed to go at my own pace. My assignments were up to me in how to complete them, giving me a certain freedom to exercise my own solutions.

good place to be lots of thing happening

really enjoyable, good group of people to work with, UoL wad open to new ideas and engaging. The IT environment is going through a big cultural and environmental change which will be a benefit in years to come

good place to work

Good place to work, friendly colleagues, enthusiastic students who are ready to work hard to make progress. Support from team leader when required. helpful

Productive and interesting invironment

Interesting and stimulating work environment, flexible work hours, lots of support from supervisor. Reasonably relaxed work with no micromanagement, trusting that work will be done.

Glass celing

The structure of elements of the job roles does not allow for further development, which creates an abidance of staff unable to continue at the university. They do not seek to promote internally. 35 hours working week is a large incentive

Great place to work!

Nice people to work with, great remuneration and easy work hours. I always enjoyed the open days there and I worked as a student ambassador for many of them!

Weekend work

I worked as an assistant swim teacher on weekends for approximately 5 hours per week. Work was fun and enjoyable. Hardest part about the job was the unpredictability of the children which required adaptability.

Growth

Given lots of opportunity to grow and develop my skills while working in a very professional environment. This was a great stepping stone in my career and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

More guidance needed

I really enjoyed working at the University of Leeds, and love the city and my colleagues. The final bit of work I did at Leeds, however, left me with a bit of a sour taste - nothing major, mind! - as I feel there were communication issues, in particular around expectations of outcome and work pressure, as well as a lack of understanding of the challenges faced by early career academics.

friendly environment

Often sitting at a computer, everyone would always check on each other, always friendly, lots of uneven breaks, long lunches, very easy work was given.

Pros

Good breaks

Nur gut für Seniorprofessoren

Es gibt einen Mangel an Ressourcen für Dozenten, deren Geräte oft nicht funktionieren. Es gibt nicht viel Training zur Verfügung, um sicherzustellen, dass Sie Fähigkeiten erwerben können, um an Ihrem Job gut zu werden. Das Management kümmert sich nicht um die Mitarbeiter und viele Mitarbeiter arbeiten mehr als 70 Stunden pro Woche ohne Entschädigung. Ich habe es nur genossen, die Schüler zu unterrichten.

Pros

die Studenten

Cons

keine Work-Life-Balance

A nice environment to work in

I worked there for three month only for 4 hours a day with flexible hours which made it quite easy for me to balance between Studies and working and the payment was good.

Great Experience

Best University going. There is no better place in the UK in the last 5 years that can balance the quality of education with such a thriving hub of a city.

great location and on-campus facilities

I spend a short time at the University of Leeds as a visiting researcher. The staff was very professional and provided necessary administrative support to make my working life comfortable.

Brilliant

The pay and work ethicais always of a high appropriate standard, both students and staff are excellent co-workers and there are always plenty of opportunities for shifts

Pros

working with many familiar and new faces

Cons

not always garunteed a shift because of the volume of ambassadors

Great

Friendly staff, supportive environment and ability to develop skills and great workplace culture. Typical day at work involved proofreading and copywriting.

Pros

great

Productive and fun workplace

Great place to work, with friendly staff and opportunities to develop skills. Supported throughout and great atmosphere. Would recommend to anyone who wanted to work there.

Pros

Staff

The Edge - University of Leeds Leisure Centre

The Edge is a fantastic place to work. As being a Personal Trainer for over a year based at the Edge, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The overall atmosphere with staff/members is one of the best I have worked in. The capacity of members is huge, in which Personal Training couldn't be easier as many people are looking to improve their health. Although progression is rather difficult at the University, especially in the Health & Fitness department, there are many other ways to continue your path to upgrade your skills. The hours you're given personally could be better, but in the leisure industry its all the same. If you're looking for progression in the leisure Industry within a short period of time then maybe somewhere else could offer you this better. But... If you're looking to develop your skills, improve your Personal training career and have fun whilst working, I'd definitely give it a shot when opportunities arrive.

Pros

Atmosphere, pay.

Cons

Poor shift hours, communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Leeds. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3