University of Manchester
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

University of Manchester Employee Reviews

United Kingdom232 reviews

productive and good

good quality lectures.needs better facilities for gym and libraries.friendly staff and good degree programme management.Good uni life and social events

Fun Workplace for Student

Super fun place to work if you are a student. Perfect for part-time work and connecting with others. You have a lot of flexibility and management is really friendly and helpful.

Pros

Diversity, Flexibility

Insights into University of Manchester

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

productive and fun workplace

-Typical day is customer service-Management is great-Workplace culture is relaxed-Job is not too challenging-Colleagues are nice and laid back-Learned some excel skills

good pay

when working as a student ambassador, the salary is good for the role, higher than minimum wage, work is spread out and varied, lots of opportunities to get involved

Rewarding but not secure

I worked as a GTA. It's a great job and an opportunity not all PGRs get. That being said, you obviously don't get any benefits because you are employed on a course-by-course basis, so you're not always guaranteed a teaching role every semester. Pay is relatively fair. Management depends on the course convenor you work with.

Pros

Seeing student flourish

Cons

Not stable or secure Not benefits

good

nice place to work. highly recommended. Challenging work, but mostly depends on the group you end up with. Lot of facilities to gain new skills .

My role can be stressful at times but overall I have a good work life balance and enjoy working within a friendly team. The work is interesting and you meet lots of different people. The only thing that really frustrates me is the slow pace at which change happens, everything takes so long to get approved and great ideas get lost amongst extensive debates and conflicting agendas. Overall uom is a really good place to work. You receive a fair salary, pension, good annual leave entitlement and other benefits too. Job security is a really big thing for me too, and I feel like I am secure in my role.

Pros

Interesting work and nice environment

Cons

Too hierarchical

Progressive and inclusive organisation

Professional, innovative, inclusive and supportive with great facilities.

Stressful with poor management

I would not recommend working here. They will chew you up and spit you out. They have no procedures for disability and will not want you. Very harsh environment.

Pros

Cons

Long hours. Harsh management. If you have s disability don't even think about it.

Productive and fun workspace

A typical day consists of meeting various people, from the management to fellow students ambassadors and the main part, prospective students. Must be able to communicate well and able to maintain professionalism amidst speaking quite casually.

Place for best work.

I enjoyed working in this company.people are many cooperative each other.it is a cold place.very good to work.people are only beauty looking.but some people left the workplace .but I never get such a enriched with facility.

Pros

Free dinner

Cons

Only 2 to three 5 hours.

fast, fulfilling, and friendly

As a senior academic (professor) my work-life balance is what I choose it to be, and I'm very happy working in excess of my contractual hours becasue my work fulfils me and is a very important part of my life. No one makes you work to excess (in fact, they keep encouraging you to ensure you have a good work-life balance) but most senior academics UK-wide choose to do so. The culture is supportive, and PS staff are friendly and do their best to support you. Research support, however, while well intentioned, is only adequate; they could be far more proactive in supporting research funding applications. There's an expectation that, as a professor, you'll pull your weight, but so you should, because you're being well paid and have status. Senior leadership are genuinely keen to do their very best, and great care is taken to look after staff. The university has a strong commitment to social responsibility - this isn't just rhetoric.

Pros

a prestigious university in the UK's Russell Group, friendly colleagues, pleasant campus, lots of freedom to work when and where you work as long as you meet expectations, the facilities of Manchester City centre are all within wallking distance, good public transport networks for commuting staff

Cons

IT services are poor, staff development unit are poor and serve no useful purpose, heavier teaching load than at some other RG universities, they accept too many international students who struggle, teaching these international students is very hard work because they need spoon-feeding, you have to use a travel agency - Key Travel - for conference travel and hotel booking

Poor

The institution is run by micromanaging idiots. Poor interview and job itself does not follow that described in the job description. Constantly undermined and unable to function properly. An extremely stressful and unpleasant experience working for these clowns!

Pros

Prestigious institution

Cons

Long hours no progression

Diverse and fun

Amazing place to work, lots of opportunities! And flexibly working based on what department you work in. Nice management- open minded to different groups of people!

Pros

Beautiful city, university and good culture

Cons

N/a

Friendly and interesting

I joined the university as a contractor with the specific task of using my existing PL/SQL skills. I was also able to acquire new skills using MS Power BI.

Goede Uitdaging, maar slechte bedrijfsvoering

De universiteit heeft een matige HR-afdeling, maar de leidinggevende docenten zijn zeer bekwaam. Er is weinig zekerheid en weinig secundaire arbeidsvoorwaarden. Werkgever heeft wel eens de neiging over je grenzen heen te gaan. Het is belangrijk om je tijd goed te bewaken en niet meer te werken dan je contract.

Pros

Veel vrijheid om je werk in te delen

Cons

Slechte HR en salarisadministratie.

A Catalyst for Self Development

This is a job in which you will be consistently thrown into the deep end, there is always something new you'll be learning. This can be either the best experience or the worst depending on the team you work with and the attitude you bring to customer service.

Pros

good pay

Cons

leadership style, poor management, very basic training

High Performing Institution

The University of Manchester attracts world class staff and students performing ground breaking research and delivering high level teaching and in support require excellent, driven and motivated professional support staff.

Pros

Supportive Management

Cons

Fast paced change

Productive and welcoming environment

the work was challenging but met with welcome and interest. the staff there are very friendly and welcoming and always willing to help you make the adjustment

Good work life balance

Good place to work though now going through a financial reorganisation. I have a great line manager who is both motivational and supportive in my career.

Good Place to Work

University of Manchester is a very good place to study and work. It has abundant resources, facilities, databases, workplaces, etc. People here are very kind and nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manchester. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Manchester with

University of Manchester Reviews by Location

• University of Manchester
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?