University of Manchester logo
University of Manchester

University of Manchester Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workspace

A typical day consists of meeting various people, from the management to fellow students ambassadors and the main part, prospective students. Must be able to communicate well and able to maintain professionalism amidst speaking quite casually.

Place for best work.

I enjoyed working in this company.people are many cooperative each other.it is a cold place.very good to work.people are only beauty looking.but some people left the workplace .but I never get such a enriched with facility.

Pros

Free dinner

Cons

Only 2 to three 5 hours.

fast, fulfilling, and friendly

As a senior academic (professor) my work-life balance is what I choose it to be, and I'm very happy working in excess of my contractual hours becasue my work fulfils me and is a very important part of my life. No one makes you work to excess (in fact, they keep encouraging you to ensure you have a good work-life balance) but most senior academics UK-wide choose to do so. The culture is supportive, and PS staff are friendly and do their best to support you. Research support, however, while well intentioned, is only adequate; they could be far more proactive in supporting research funding applications. There's an expectation that, as a professor, you'll pull your weight, but so you should, because you're being well paid and have status. Senior leadership are genuinely keen to do their very best, and great care is taken to look after staff. The university has a strong commitment to social responsibility - this isn't just rhetoric.

Pros

a prestigious university in the UK's Russell Group, friendly colleagues, pleasant campus, lots of freedom to work when and where you work as long as you meet expectations, the facilities of Manchester City centre are all within wallking distance, good public transport networks for commuting staff

Cons

IT services are poor, staff development unit are poor and serve no useful purpose, heavier teaching load than at some other RG universities, they accept too many international students who struggle, teaching these international students is very hard work because they need spoon-feeding, you have to use a travel agency - Key Travel - for conference travel and hotel booking

Poor

The institution is run by micromanaging idiots. Poor interview and job itself does not follow that described in the job description. Constantly undermined and unable to function properly. An extremely stressful and unpleasant experience working for these clowns!

Pros

Prestigious institution

Cons

Long hours no progression

Diverse and fun

Amazing place to work, lots of opportunities! And flexibly working based on what department you work in. Nice management- open minded to different groups of people!

Pros

Beautiful city, university and good culture

Cons

N/a

Friendly and interesting

I joined the university as a contractor with the specific task of using my existing PL/SQL skills. I was also able to acquire new skills using MS Power BI.

Goede Uitdaging, maar slechte bedrijfsvoering

De universiteit heeft een matige HR-afdeling, maar de leidinggevende docenten zijn zeer bekwaam. Er is weinig zekerheid en weinig secundaire arbeidsvoorwaarden. Werkgever heeft wel eens de neiging over je grenzen heen te gaan. Het is belangrijk om je tijd goed te bewaken en niet meer te werken dan je contract.

Pros

Veel vrijheid om je werk in te delen

Cons

Slechte HR en salarisadministratie.

A Catalyst for Self Development

This is a job in which you will be consistently thrown into the deep end, there is always something new you'll be learning. This can be either the best experience or the worst depending on the team you work with and the attitude you bring to customer service.

Pros

good pay

Cons

leadership style, poor management, very basic training

High Performing Institution

The University of Manchester attracts world class staff and students performing ground breaking research and delivering high level teaching and in support require excellent, driven and motivated professional support staff.

Pros

Supportive Management

Cons

Fast paced change

Productive and welcoming environment

the work was challenging but met with welcome and interest. the staff there are very friendly and welcoming and always willing to help you make the adjustment

Jobs at University of Manchester

See more jobs

Good work life balance

Good place to work though now going through a financial reorganisation. I have a great line manager who is both motivational and supportive in my career.

Good Place to Work

University of Manchester is a very good place to study and work. It has abundant resources, facilities, databases, workplaces, etc. People here are very kind and nice.

Fast-paced

Working in academia is fast-paced and stressful. The pay was fairly good so that helped. The university culture was nice though and colleagues were enjoyable to be around.

place for career development

It is a good place for career development, not too stressful - good work like balance, option for flexi time working schedule , not enough holidays. overall it is okay

Collabratuve and supportive enviroment

My one big concern with the University of Manchester is their reliance on fixed term contracts and the lack of security that gives. Other than that I found the people I worked with supportive, including management and the atmosphere friendly. Rates of pay were good and terms fair. While working for the UoM We had our first child and the university allowed me to rearrange my hours so I was working five days in four which was very, very helpful.

Only a part time role initially through Aspire Recruiting Agency for two years before being taken on permanently by the University as their own staff with all the benefits of full time staff.

Very good working environment with supportive colleagues while starting the first proper job.

I was assigned a postgraduate module with sole responsibility of teaching and assessment. Peer review was undertaken while I was teaching. I took tutorial classes for 2 to 3 undergraduate modules each semester. I was encouraged by my mentor to get some journal publications out of my PhD thesis. I was given financial support to attend conferences and present papers at the conferences. Hence, got some journal articles published and that was very helpful for following employment and academic standing.

Security

A typical day working the university security are two 12 hour days and two nights, I cover a large area of the University campus and interact with all students and staff building a good report. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult members of the public who can be belligerent at times. I enjoy meeting new people on a daily basis and enjoy my free time that I have of (4 days)

Pros

Time off

Cons

Tyhe Weather

A professional environment

A typical day at work consisted of classes in the morning and activities in the afternoon. I learned how to collaborate effectively with colleagues. The management were helpful and supportive. The workplace culture was good. The hardest part of the job was assessing written work and the most enjoyable was working with mature and interesting students.

Good

Only there as student researcher so difficult to give accurate employment review. Would recommend studying there however as it has an excellent faculty.

I engaged in exciting cutting edge research with some of the most knowledgeable people in a very specialist area. A brilliant insight into the aspirations of blue sky research and the freedoms it gives to labs to investigate the natural world.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manchester. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2