University of Northampton logo
University of Northampton

University of Northampton Employee Reviews

As a PhD researcher I found that staff were supportive and helped me to achieve my aims. The laboratory that I worked in was well stocked and kept safe during my time there. The Graduate staff were there for us whenever we needed their support.

Could be a great place to work...

Sadly, clueless managers and pure disregard for staff wellbeing ruins what could be a great place to work. Senior management have zero strategic direction and many a good employee are overlooked and undervalued. There is a clear hierarchy with the senior staff happy to trample those below in order to get what they want. Internal progression is practically non existent and new positions are usually earmarked by managers with nepotistic and sickofantic ideals. This is a frustrating environment with poor execution and leadership. The company shows no loyalty towards long term members of staff and management are extremely resistant towards change, flexibility and personal growth. The department desperately needs a restructure. I would not recommend you work here - your mental health will suffer.

Pros

There are some lovely staff!

Cons

Zero support, being micromanaged, disability discrimination

Varies widely depending on which Department you work in

These are turbulent times in Higher Education so the work environment and work patterns are constantly changing making it difficult to keep pace and to focus on goals.

Pros

New campus with modern facilities

Cons

Job security uncertain

Mediocre place to work

Enjoyed the job role overall. Working with students throughout their degree studies was rewarding. Personal development and progression was not available.

Ideal for someone looking for part time hours during the week with hardly any weekends. Job is easy to do and the clients are lovely to work with and very supportive.

just a job

not appreciated not rewarded. Having started FOH my abilities were soon discovered and I am now firmly part of the high pressure BOH area. i feel i stepped up changed my hours and shifts for the company without any recognition.

productive work place

organised, friendly and effective staff members. quite approachable and very helpful kind and reliable team members with the ability to multitask as well as working in a fast-paced environment

Pros

1 hour lunch break

Cons

unpaid lunch

I worked under a European funded project Undertake with clients a preliminary analysis of information and development needs through an interrogative diagnostic (organisational needs analysis) on both an inbound and outbound basis. - Provide clients with a professional, honest and high-quality consultative advice and guidance service around digital business and in line with the ERDF project parameters.

Productive, Informative

After completing the 2nd year modules, I was invited back to the university by my lecturers to talk to A Level students intending to study BSc Accounting and Finance at the open day. I talked about my experience at the university so far, the structure of the course, the guidance provided the lecturers and university life.

Poor place to to work

The university look lovely but it's the catering company that has let them down. Poor place to work if you work for ch&co Management is really bad dont know what they are doing. I feel sorry for the students its not a very good experience for them the food is to posh and expensive.

Jobs at University of Northampton

See more jobs

Communications manager made it impossible for you to flourish and be yourself

When I first joined the University back in 2015 I absolutely loved it, but I left in 2018 due to very unprofessional management within the CTC Centre. Having to work with one particular manager made my daily working life unbearable. I was witness to many occasions where this individual would bully her fellow colleagues and make outrageous comments to them about eating habits or their personal appearance / lives. There is a blame culture within the CTC center and management are the only ones who dish out the blame, they wont accept responsibility for their own mistakes. Throughout my time working with the CTC center I met some wonderful nurses and actors who really helped me get through my working day. The hardest part of this job I would say would have been working with a B.C.Manager who had no people skills what so ever and caused many rifts within the department due to her lack of professionalism and a 'woe' is me attitude. There was only 2 managers who I believe had the right way of thinking and had a great blueprint for success, but both of these people were suppressed by said Manager and most of their privileges taken away from them. There was one particular manager who made things easier and lighter for me and I found it easy working under her as she adopted a very laid back attitude and was easy to get along with. I could talk to her as if she was a friend which is very rare in most companies. It would seem that whilst this particular bad B.C.Manager is in place, there is no room for anyone underneath her to progress. I will not be returning to the CTC Center due to -

great university

My time here has been very interesting. i have learnt a lot about myself. it has been so so so so so so so much fun. i have learnt a lit through my peers and lecturers

Inspirational and educational

The University of Northampton has given me the opportunity to grow as a professional, an academic and a person. They allowed me to develop a wide range of skills through different student paid positions.

Some good dedicated lecturer let down by bullying and poor management structure

Used to be a good employer but in recent years has become increasingly bullying particularly towards lecturers. Academic standards have declined, bums on seats is more important than academic rigour and standards. Workplace culture is blaming staff rather than accepting that there are shortfalls in management. Move to new Waterside campus has led to a poorer student experience.

Pros

New campus and environment, committed enthusiastic lecturers

Cons

Poor management and bullying attitude towards staff. Blame culture.

Pleasant and Relaxing work place

Great place to start working as a student to earn experience and extra-money. Easy to balance work and academic life. More working hours would be beneficial.

university

Not here long enough to make a review. I left because the course wasn't the right thing for me. Just a normal university. Night life at the time was great

Fun workplace

Interesting place and updates environment. Very helpful management and unique experience. Valuable experience in regards to events and trips attended.

Productive and Engaging Place

The union is a lovely place to work alongside students. You also have the opportunity to work with student to make great little changes. AS a staff you also have a chance to give your opinion to support driven goals.

Productive and Fun

Works well around University as one gets to choose their shifts. They have amazing support staff and they will make sure one is comfortable in the roles that they are working. It is also very varied work, so you could be working something completely different every shift you do.

Pros

Super supportive

Cons

May not get shifts due to amount of people looking for work that month

language teaching

Depending on the department, nice place to work. Language department suffered with government cuts, but a good marketing and promoting languages and related subjects could still be a viable option to retain the reputation and improve provisions for students.

Pros

good working environment

Cons

it is not all about money

Great general staff, poor management.

Good daily working environment due to many great colleagues. However management is generally poor and there is little opportunity for progression. Pay was also low compared to other universities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Northampton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement