University of Nottingham

University of Nottingham Employee Reviews

Friendly colleagues, communicative management, easy to manage time, hardest part of the job is finding more hours but this is dependent on contractual status.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
I travel 45mins to work
and went downhill from there. Sadly the atmosphere has changed, management and people change so quickly there is no learning who anyone is. Constant rule and procedure changes that make little sense. The pay is not worth the stress or the work you are doing. Underpaid and overworked to a t. There is little advancement. I used to enjoy it. Now I dread work.
Very poor management every body for themselves back sabers, management Very poor,useless staff,useless management,useless HR, the less you talk and work better for you
Cons
Great place to work. A very satisfying place to work. Looking forward to work there in the future. Very positive about developing your CPD. Plenty of variety and excellent networking.
Work was interesting and varied with support from management. Good for a part time job along side studies. Main downsides were lack of advancement and progression with last minute changes to hours.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
No expenses on compulsory work trips
The extensive use of fixed term contracts and lack of job security bring the rating down for me personally. Universities do not promote staff quickly, but research is rewarding and fun.
Pros
lovely site
Cons
commuting into Nottingham is no fun
University of Nottingham is an amazing place to study and work. It has a very well established science background in many subjects. I have studied BSc in Food Science and graduated in 2009. I had amazing time during my BSc days and came back to study PhD in 2015.
Provides an inspiring and collegiate atmosphere, fast-paced environment but supportive. Keen to become more involved with the local communities in Nottingham and find productive ways of doing so
Good work life balance , poor management culture. Not much transparency from senior management and a number of people in positions of authority with little experience or skill to carry out role. A once great place to work at risk of changing for the worse.
Professional atmosphere, friendly colleagues and good managers Potential of moving up to higher grade depending on service and ability Generally a good place to work with strong work ethic
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Pressure of work
I have worked here for 19 years and made many lifelong friends, however there is a certain work culture that I do not like for example the appraisal system is not a fair system and the same people do seem to be rewarded over many other capable people. There is a one rule for one kind of culture and if your face fits then you are ok.
Wonderful institution for research. Research topics are interesting and PIs are passionate scientists whose work has real impact. I received plenty of guidance and support during my time here.
I was working at University of Nottingham for 4 years working in Pharmaceutical site research and I would not consider to go back to the same site as the work environment is so competitive and it doesn't provide a good work/life balance. I would definitely not recommend to my close friends any similar jobs that I had previously .
University of Nottingham is not a bad place to be at although there is 3 campus each have there own faults as I am based at city campus work life there is great, it's close by and friendly environment
Well funded and organised scientific projects that will kickstart your career. The working culture is collaborative and inspiring. You are encouraged to be creative and progress academically. Excellent facilities.
Fantastic people, professional environment, good pay, great colleagues and a fair and just place to work. Never had any problems those whole time I was employed by them and my managers were fantastic.
I have been working for nottingham university for ten years nearly as a joiner, and have been downgraded going down 3 pay scales ,however they still want us to carry out the same duties and even do over and above on a daily basis.
Professional environment where no time for a bad work environment, they were task-focused and professional, I just joined for 2 weeks through unitemps
very nice job it was the i love it so i would tell people to go work the and the people are very nice to and a fun place to work at for sure.and the head chef
Very organised, highly professional coordinators. Relevant and appropriate materials. Felt highly supported in my role. The atmosphere was collaborative and friendly.
Being friends/friendly with the right people gets you ahead at UoN. Support never offered from the appropriate people. Having to take on higher level responsibility and training my own supervisors with zero support or thanks. Promotions blocked by senior managers. People with shocking knowledge and massive amounts of incompetence are in management levels positions which is worrying. Spent far too much on a central records project which was overfunded and still incomplete.
Pros
Evening and weekends free.
Cons
Life draining. Work with unintelligent people.