University of Oxford

University of Oxford Employee Reviews

I get to present my research to students, which I really enjoy, as well as working closely on projects with one of the professors. The social and cultural scene is excellent.
Despite supposedly to be a cathedral of spreading the knowledge that is not exactly how it worked. Not training provided, not collaborative environment, at some point they push with some duties that you are not contracted for that or outside your knowledge and skills without any additional information or support.
Pros
relaxed, at some points and very flexible in the timing
Cons
not training not collaboration between colleagues not answer to questions related to some problems
This organisation are awful, worked as internal contractor, lost job in lockdown without furlough and no support.The people majority are rude, arrogant, full of self importance, worst company I have ever worked for. They focus on mandatory courses full of rubbish and offer no support for new starters or training.
Pros
Cons
Loads see above
Very racilly and culturally biased business. I experienced discrimination from admin colleagues and top management. I worked there several years and was treated badly
Pros
it's a job
Cons
it is discriminatory.
Too process heavy restricting innovation and getting things done. Too many committees, nobody seems to want to make decisions. ......................
There are opportunities for development within the University for those who want it. The locations can be stunning. The ideal is to get what you put in, and you will often get more.
Excellent place to work, very happy, nice for contractors, nice atmosphere, lovely town, nice weather really kind people, lovely, really nice, very very
Far removed from the expected upper-class culture (in my team and department at least). People and department is understanding and relaxed. Very enjoyable and staff perks are good.
It's hard work, lots of pressure, doing 60 hours a week, never really felt appreciated. It can be rewarding sometimes , but nobody really cares too much. There is not a good work ethic in many places
• Project managing and acting as a first point of contact for assigned study area to ensure recruitment and/or follow-up-related milestones are achieved. • Making sure that assigned study area is adequately set-up and resourced according to the specific study requirements, including areas relating to data management, sampling, recording biometric data, study treatment supply, study documentation and training provision. • Assisting with regulatory/ethic approvals and the local trial contracts are agreed and fully complied with. • Organising meetings for our global delegates, to ensure all logistics requirement are fulfilled. • Provide training and supervision to junior staff as required.
Great environment to work with alongside thought leaders of tomorrow. Learnt to work in a federated environment from an identity and access management perspective.
What can I say? Oxford, like all academic institutions, employs very poor working conditions for early career academics. Many are asked to virtually work for free in order to 'bolster up their CV' with little to no financial compensation. Short term academic contracts are the norm and most will not pay the bills, especially if you have a family.
The organisation is not profit led so can be slow paced and relaxed, but it does not always motivate it's employees with any performance initiatives. Also can be difficult to support university systems and projects due to unusual methods and structure.
Pros
Good annual leave and pension.
Cons
No bonuses.
The University can be accommodating. Generally the workload volumes can be high but the support is there. There is always something to do and training is available.
Culture, typical day, and management style all wholly dependent on the type of research and who your supervisor is. I found that I was expected to work long, irregular hours with very little supervisory input
Decent pay for the role but not many additional perks. Good work/life balance. Little to no development or L&D opportunities, or promotion. Academic/admin divide.
Great place for academic interactions but zero job security for any academic, irrespective of standing. There seem to be no permanent positions which are not already filled so new academics have to continue to live on 1-3-5 year contracts with no prospects of staying employed, even when contributing to the culture of the University.
I can't speak for the whole university but the department i work for is good and working hard to make sure that women are well represented. However there still needs to be work to make the life/work balance better
I was a student at the time, I worked 6 hours a week. The staff are lovely. I don't really have a lot to say, I think my experience was biased by working in the faculty I was studying at.
International and active work place. People around me are very easy going and willing to help if necessary. Deadlines sometimes make you work long hours.
I only worked there as a part time, online-based research assistant, so there is not much i can say, but the job provided me with valuable experience and professional network
Pros
well-paid
Cons
can't think of any