University of Oxford

University of Oxford Employee Reviews

United Kingdom89 reviews

Depends on project

You can't really generalize because pay, predictability, amount of collaboration, level of responsibility, etc. depends on department and PI and even the specific project.

Exciting research projects but too many postdocs

Good work life balance. Very exciting work and so many transferable skills you learn during your time as a researcher. Postdoctoral experience can be used as a stepping stone but some tend to stay here for several years hoping to get a tenure track position. Would never recommend doing more than one postdoc unless you have your own grant.

Insights into University of Oxford

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Great work life balance

Great work life balance, job security & good work culture. The only flip side is fixed pay scales. There’s not much scope for negotiation. Performance appraisal process could be improved.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Fixed pay scales

good and fun

good and fun job to be a student in Oxford. So i really enjoy the time in here and I suggest every outstanding student should have a try to apply Oxford.

Ok

My first job in oxford was at Oxford uni, it was a nice place with a healthy atmosphere and good working environment. It was productive but chill at the same time, and I really enjoyed it. It's truly a company that cares about it's employees.

Pros

Can leave early

Cons

Smelly

Fun workplace

Nice peopleNice cultureFun working environmentChallenging at times but very supportive managementFun social eventsGood payGood benefits such as family friendly leave

weird work enviroment

hard but weird and funny job, quite a strange place and intimedating to look at for a first timer, but i hear the propects are endless and what ever you ply yourself at, you can acheive great things, lifestyle and caerrer are good.

Cons

long hours, demanding.

Not cooperative environment

Despite supposedly to be a cathedral of spreading the knowledge that is not exactly how it worked. Not training provided, not collaborative environment, at some point they push with some duties that you are not contracted for that or outside your knowledge and skills without any additional information or support.

Pros

relaxed, at some points and very flexible in the timing

Cons

not training not collaboration between colleagues not answer to questions related to some problems

As a fellow I get to present my research to students

I get to present my research to students, which I really enjoy, as well as working closely on projects with one of the professors. The social and cultural scene is excellent.

Awful arrogant selfish people

This organisation are awful, worked as internal contractor, lost job in lockdown without furlough and no support.The people majority are rude, arrogant, full of self importance, worst company I have ever worked for. They focus on mandatory courses full of rubbish and offer no support for new starters or training.

Pros

Cons

Loads see above

Excellent

A good College to work. Colleagues are affable and ready to help. No snitching. Line manager approachable and frank. Both fellows, Senior lecturers co-exist as equals.

Pros

Meals given/ meals purchased on shift pay for.

Cons

If meals are not taken by choice no allowance given.

Very racilly and culturally biased business. I experienced discrimination from admin colleagues and top management. I worked there several years and was treated badly

Pros

it's a job

Cons

it is discriminatory.

It was very good experience. I had great colleagues and manager. On top of my manager management not really concerned about staff below them, but it is OK as I keep ignoring them as well. Really enjoyed my 3 years there. Would still work there, but I moved.

Manana Culture

Too process heavy restricting innovation and getting things done. Too many committees, nobody seems to want to make decisions. ......................

Opportunities

There are opportunities for development within the University for those who want it. The locations can be stunning. The ideal is to get what you put in, and you will often get more.

Excellent

Excellent place to work, very happy, nice for contractors, nice atmosphere, lovely town, nice weather really kind people, lovely, really nice, very very

Good job culture

Far removed from the expected upper-class culture (in my team and department at least). People and department is understanding and relaxed. Very enjoyable and staff perks are good.

Hard, but rewarding

It's hard work, lots of pressure, doing 60 hours a week, never really felt appreciated. It can be rewarding sometimes , but nobody really cares too much. There is not a good work ethic in many places

Na

• Project managing and acting as a first point of contact for assigned study area to ensure recruitment and/or follow-up-related milestones are achieved. • Making sure that assigned study area is adequately set-up and resourced according to the specific study requirements, including areas relating to data management, sampling, recording biometric data, study treatment supply, study documentation and training provision. • Assisting with regulatory/ethic approvals and the local trial contracts are agreed and fully complied with. • Organising meetings for our global delegates, to ensure all logistics requirement are fulfilled. • Provide training and supervision to junior staff as required.

Collaborative yet challenging

Great environment to work with alongside thought leaders of tomorrow. Learnt to work in a federated environment from an identity and access management perspective.

Casualisation and poor pay for early career academics is the norm

What can I say? Oxford, like all academic institutions, employs very poor working conditions for early career academics. Many are asked to virtually work for free in order to 'bolster up their CV' with little to no financial compensation. Short term academic contracts are the norm and most will not pay the bills, especially if you have a family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Oxford. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Oxford with

University of Oxford Reviews by Location

• University of Oxford
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?